no colour when connected via component output

Don't know Bangalore locally, been a good 3-4 years since I visited last, but I am sure you will get good quality cables in electronic malls like Croma, Reliance Digital, E-Zone, etc. I have found there is not much difference in terms of price either when compared to local sellers and with traffic and parking headaches the malls are better any day at least in Hyderabad...

I connected the component cable (all connections triple checked), but do not get any picture on the TV. I have checked all settings on the DVD and the TV and still no change.

I tested using a different DVD player and it worked. Any idea what could be wrong.

If it worked with one DVD Player and not another with the same cable, the issue will be with the DVD Player. When you say no picture, am I right in assuming you got sound? Usually in such situations, I disconnect all cables excepting the one I am trying to ensure is working as a process of elimination.

(1) If the DVD player has HDMI output, go to 'Initial Settings' and see if you can set HDMI Output to 'None' or 'Off'.

(2) Take a ear bud, dip it in a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol, and try cleaning the component out points in the DVD Player.

I know you would have done this, but just reassure yourself that you have chosen 'YPbPr' as the Source on your TV.

What else could be the issue?

Cheers

Finally i purchased 2 pair of Bandbridge component cable(600 per piece) from croma and tried connecting to my dv610.

The colour i get is very pale(infact component is better) and when i switch the setting to progressive scan in my dvd player, the picture completely goes away(up and down). Mine is Onida 21" CRT tv(KY Black 500) model.

2 yr back i purchased DVS dvd palyer and it came bundeld with component cable throwed in. i used to use that cable to connect to my tv and it worked fine without any issues. i am not sure what is going wrong here.. kindly request your help.

Also i purchased one more component cable for my friend who purchased panasonic 29" tv(Moserw suggested) and pioneer dv610.

In my friend case when the component output is set to interlace the picture comes fine in panasonic tv, but when set to progressive the screen gets split and is displayed on the tv. dunno what is wrong?

Moserw, did you change any setting your tv when you connected thru component cable?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Finally i purchased 2 pair of Bandbridge component cable(600 per piece) from croma and tried connecting to my dv610.

The colour i get is very pale(infact component is better) and when i switch the setting to progressive scan in my dvd player, the picture completely goes away(up and down). Mine is Onida 21" CRT tv(KY Black 500) model.

2 yr back i purchased DVS dvd palyer and it came bundeld with component cable throwed in. i used to use that cable to connect to my tv and it worked fine without any issues. i am not sure what is going wrong here.. kindly request your help.

Also i purchased one more component cable for my friend who purchased panasonic 29" tv(Moserw suggested) and pioneer dv610.

In my friend case when the component output is set to interlace the picture comes fine in panasonic tv, but when set to progressive the screen gets split and is displayed on the tv. dunno what is wrong?

Moserw, did you change any setting your tv when you connected thru component cable?

Thanks,
Prakash.

Prakash,

I use a component cable if and when I use the CRT for watching any DVDs, but this is very rarely. Its used mostly for TV watching. All DVDs, Divx rips etc. I watch on my PV8. I have not changed any settings on the 29" CRT TV or the DVDP and PQ was always stunning so never checked on progressive or interlace. I am not really sure if the Panasonic CRT even has the progressive scan option. I am not at home right now. Once I am back home I will check the details and post the same.

My DVD player (pioneer dv610) has component labeled as Y, Pb, Pr. The component input on TV (Onida 21" KY Black) says Y/U, Cr, Cb. Are these compatible? Is the problem coming because of this? Using component cable the picture is Black & White and sometime i get pale color( in Interlace mode). In Progressive mode the video just flickers.

Thanks,
Prakash.

My DVD player (pioneer dv610) has component labeled as Y, Pb, Pr. The component input on TV (Onida 21" KY Black) says Y/U, Cr, Cb. Are these compatible? Is the problem coming because of this? Using component cable the picture is Black & White and sometime i get pale color( in Interlace mode). In Progressive mode the video just flickers.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Could be. What is the component cable labeled? Component cables labeled Y, Pb, Pr will transmit progressive scan signal, but component cables labeled Y, Cb, Cr will transmit only interlaced signals. Seems your Onida TV will accept only interlaced signals and not progressive.

Thanks,
Prakash.

Very interesting connectors on your TV though I am really surprised it is there.

Component video could be one of YCbCr or YPbPr. YCbCr (originally defined for photograhy standards) is defined for digital domain while YPbPr is in the analogue domain. These are just labeling conventions thats all. Ultimately what your see depends entirely on how your TV processes these signals. All DVDs are encoded in YCbCr colour space which then has to be reprocessed onto RGB signals by your TV. This does not seem to be happening for your TV.

I am afraid to say your options are sort of limited at this time. I would try composite video for picture as for your TV, it should not make it that much of a difference in the viewing experience.

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back