No console gamers?

Do you guys have after market joysticks, steering wheels etc? Pls share your exp of such equipment too.

Someone said 20k for PS3? Where is it available for 20k?

I'm primary into PC as a gaming machine. I tried a joystick for it, but it's really no good. A mouse any day and it suits me perfect since I prefer FPS/TPS games above all.

I've a PS3, but not played many games on it. Use it primarily as a media center for the entire family with movies, music, photos loaded on it.

Re: hey

where can I get a brand new ps3 for 20k? I need it.

Not right now. A possible price cut of USD 100 on the PS3 which may or may not translate into a 5K cut for the INR too.

But prices should drop around Diwali and Christmas/New Year time.

no probs dude. A lot of people say a lot of things but ultimately its only when you a real hand experience that it matter more. At 20k ps3 later this year is hard to beat. With a lot of games being released this year and firmware updates for upscaling the ps3 will be a tough act to follow.

Microsoft - a new console please!!!

PS3 at 20K? Is that true? Does that not trump the XBOX 360 with that price? Can you confirm that it is indeed available for that price?

And God of War - I had great expectations out of it. The problem was I played it after Ninja Gaiden and the controls on the PS2 were simply too slow. Make no mistake - God of war is indeed a good game. But tactically and challenge wise I did not find it very engaging.

I have God of War2 - unopened as yet. Need to try it out.

PS3 at 20K? Is that true? Does that not trump the XBOX 360 with that price? Can you confirm that it is indeed available for that price?

And God of War - I had great expectations out of it. The problem was I played it after Ninja Gaiden and the controls on the PS2 were simply too slow. Make no mistake - God of war is indeed a good game. But tactically and challenge wise I did not find it very engaging.

I have God of War2 - unopened as yet. Need to try it out.

This is the source at $100 Sony PS3 price cut possible in August.

Let's hope it happens, will be truly VFM both as a gaming console and as a Blu-Ray player. I paid nearly 26K for it, but now I feel it was worth it since I changed the HDD to 500GB and now it holds so much music, movies, photos, etc. the entire family is happy with it.

This is the source at $100 Sony PS3 price cut possible in August.

Let's hope it happens, will be truly VFM both as a gaming console and as a Blu-Ray player. I paid nearly 26K for it, but now I feel it was worth it since I changed the HDD to 500GB and now it holds so much music, movies, photos, etc. the entire family is happy with it.

Thanks moser. Now who knows how long it is going to take for that price cut to percolate down to India!..

Hi the audio/videophile gamers,

I have a strange question for all of you. Here goes:

Background: After my son recently did quite well in his board exams and then in the comp. exams, he has been showered with lots of cash rewards from many of our family and friends. I have overheard him talking to my wife about saving all this money for a Sony Playstation.

Reason for my interest: I have read in the 6moons review of the Leben CS600 amp that some Playstation could play audio CDs almost equalling the quality of a dedicated CD players costing a few thousand USD.

My question:
1) Is that true? Have any of you tried that? Also DVD (PS2 and PS3) and BD playing (PS3 only) is expected to be marvellous.
2) I checked the Sony sites and have not understood how it can be hooked up to an amp. Can any of you comment?

I know I am eying some benefits for me out of my son's hard earned rewards. But then, all is fair in love and war. If all these sound promising, I am planning to encourage my son to go for a playstation. (BTW, which one? PS2 or 3? There seems to be a huge price difference according to Sony India website). Well, I already have a very decent dedicated CDP, but our DVDP is only a budget one. Collective benefits (along with his gaming), nothing wrong in that.

Last edited:
PS3 is recommended. Only the PS3 plays Blu-Ray and other HD rips like MKV. Coming to performance its pretty good both on the audio and the video fronts. I've read some online forums where they said the PS1 was in huge demand because it gave better SQ than dedicated CDPs costing thousands of dollars and in fact audiophile quality, but that is a bit exaggerated. Its a good player just not a very high-end CDP or a Blu-Ray player. One advantage it does have over others is that it has an internal HDD which can be changed (I've changed mine to 500 GB) and that can hold a lot of movies, music, photos, etc. which the entire family can use as a media center.

And Asit bro, I've heard it said "All Is Fair And Love Is War"...

Hi the audio/videophile gamers,

I have a strange question for all of you. Here goes:

Background: After my son recently did quite well in his board exams and then in the comp. exams, he has been showered with lots of cash rewards from many of our family and friends. I have overheard him talking to my wife about saving all this money for a Sony Playstation.

Reason for my interest: I have read in the 6moons review of the Leben CS600 amp that some Playstation could play audio CDs almost equalling the quality of a dedicated CD players costing a few thousand USD.

My question:
1) Is that true? Have any of you tried that? Also DVD (PS2 and PS3) and BD playing (PS3 only) is expected to be marvellous.
2) I checked the Sony sites and have not understood how it can be hooked up to an amp. Can any of you comment?

I know I am eying some benefits for me out of my son's hard earned rewards. But then, all is fair in love and war. If all these sound promising, I am planning to encourage my son to go for a playstation. (BTW, which one? PS2 or 3? There seems to be a huge price difference according to Sony India website). Well, I already have a very decent dedicated CDP, but our DVDP is only a budget one. Collective benefits (along with his gaming), nothing wrong in that.

PS2 and PS3 are region coded. While PS2 can be unlocked, I've not come across reliable PS3 cracks. It also may not be safe to mod PS3s since subsequent firmware updates may create problems. PS2 has no such firmware issues.
Bottomline - a PS3 will not be able to play all your DVDs/Blu-rays. DVD playback is pretty good.

I'd say go with PS3. A lot more money, but it provides a lot more features too.

PS3 comes with a composite AV cable, toslink and HDMI. Connecting to a stereo amp (without an optical/hdmi) would have to be done using the composite cable. This cable comes with the set. It has a custom connector at the PS3 end and the standar red, white, yellow at the other. You would probably be stuck with this stock cable. Am not sure if high grade aftermarket options are available. PS2 has an identical composite connection. And it has toslink.

edit: typed this from my cell. Hence the paragraphs gaps have vanished.

Last edited:
PS3 is the best option if you want to use your console as a media centre. Xbox is better for gameplay (Better controller and more games available!) but can't beat PS3 in the CD playing and other media handling departments!

Hi Moser, Shuv and Shaklebolt,

Sorry to catch on your very useful replies late. Sincere thanks to all of you. Okay, the overwhelming vote is for PS3. I'll convey that to my son. After all he has to agree.

At the moment, we have no HD content, BD or otherwise. But in future, we would have, I am sure. We have a modest stock of DVD movies, all bought new from big stores. In addition, we have a few DVDs bought from the US. For example, last summer I bought a 4 CD pack on Michael Jordan for USD 30. Now all these US DVDs play in our Sony 708 DVDP without a hitch. Based on what Shuv has written, these will not then play on the PS3. Is that correct, Shuv? But the Indian DVDs should play, wouldn't they?

Now, how about backward compatibility? Somebody told me PS2 games do not play on PS3 40GB version. The 80GB is better in this respect. Please clarify on this, too.

As far as my understanding goes, both the 40 GB and 80GB versions are HD-upgradable by larger 2.5" hard discs. Are there more than one HD bays, so that the stock one can also be kept?

If those are too many questions, please take a deep breadth and then answer all of those.

I bought a 4 CD pack on Michael Jordan for USD 30. Now all these US DVDs play in our Sony 708 DVDP without a hitch. Based on what Shuv has written, these will not then play on the PS3. Is that correct, Shuv? But the Indian DVDs should play, wouldn't they?
Well, even 'Indian' DVDs may not all be playable. Check the region codes of the DVD's you have. I've bought region 2,3,5 and all region original DVDs in India (from places like PlanetM). So an 'Indian' DVD may not necessarily be region 5. The Indian PS3 plays only region 5 and region free DVDs. So your PS3 would not be a total replacement of your DVD player.
Having said that the workaround for other region coded DVDs, is to rip your original DVD in your PC, load the resulting file(s) onto a USB drive or external HDD and play it through the PS3.

Now, how about backward compatibility? Somebody told me PS2 games do not play on PS3 40GB version. The 80GB is better in this respect. Please clarify on this, too.
Yes. The 40 GB does not play PS2 games. The 80 GB apparently does. I have not experienced it, but it supposedly does not do a very good job of it. (I'll let others who have tried it pitch in here.) It plays PS2 games using some software simulation. Whereas the initial 60GB version had hardware bits that supported PS2 games. My take on this is:
a. After having a taste of PS3 games, I'm sure your son would not be too keen on PS2 games.
b. If he still is, brand new PS2's are available for 6K INR. I'd get a new set and be confident of proper playback and rendering of PS2 games.
c. If the extra 40GB, the 'dualshock' controller, the 2 extra USB ports seem necessary, then go for the 80GB version

In my case - my 'mitigation' plan was:
- I'll anyway get a larger HDD so the extra 40 GB did not matter
- I had planned to buy a separate 'dualshock' controller anyway. To keep the 2-player option open. This controller can be bought in the US for < $50.
- The 2 USB ports in the 40GB version was enough for me. At most I'll use one for a HDD and another for charging a controller.
- I already had a PS2 ;)

As far as my understanding goes, both the 40 GB and 80GB versions are HD-upgradable by larger 2.5" hard discs. Are there more than one HD bays, so that the stock one can also be kept?
There is only 1 internal HD bay that would take in a 2.5" laptop drive. You can however choose to keep the stock 40GB HDD and plug in an external USB HDD to a USB port. The external HDD can be your portable media storage which you can attach to other equipment too or carry with you as required. The internal HDD can be reserved for gameplay - most of the games require an install (automatic) on the HDD. I've seen these install sizes vary from around 1GB to 4/5GB.

Last edited:
Just noticed. Sony seems to have dropped the price by 1K. When did the 24,990 price come into the picture? I'm sure the 80GB version was retailing for 25,990 earlier with MotorStorm as the free game.

PlayStation Game Bundles

Last edited:
Has anybody tried installing Linux onto the Ps3. It really opens a lot of opportunity for the people to do a lot of things as you do with your PC like ripping DVD, BD's. You can even install VLC player on it to make it region free for DVD playback part. Linux opens so many doors for PS3 owners. You can also play populer computer games on your PS3 with the Linux installed on it.
And the best part is that unlike windows Linux is an open platform so you can do as you like. There are thousand of softwares avialiable for free to be used with Linux. The most common Linux for Ps3 is Yellow Dog Linux. You can download it for free from the linux website.

Well Shuvc has answered most if not all of it. Blu-Ray is the future and will replace DVDs so sooner or later one will have to move to it. Either a PS3 or a standalone Blu-Ray player will be needed. My vote is for the PS3 mainly because by increasing its HDD you can have a media center at home. Only glitch is PS3 games and Blu-Ray content is still expensive and hard to come by. PS2 games don't work on the PS3, they are supposed to work on the 80GB version but I don't know anyone who has that version personally.

Hi Moser, Shuv and Shaklebolt,

Sorry to catch on your very useful replies late. Sincere thanks to all of you. Okay, the overwhelming vote is for PS3. I'll convey that to my son. After all he has to agree.

At the moment, we have no HD content, BD or otherwise. But in future, we would have, I am sure. We have a modest stock of DVD movies, all bought new from big stores. In addition, we have a few DVDs bought from the US. For example, last summer I bought a 4 CD pack on Michael Jordan for USD 30. Now all these US DVDs play in our Sony 708 DVDP without a hitch. Based on what Shuv has written, these will not then play on the PS3. Is that correct, Shuv? But the Indian DVDs should play, wouldn't they?

If those are too many questions, please take a deep breadth and then answer all of those.

Thanks a lot Shuv and Moser, for painstakingly answering all my questions between the two of you. Yes, the price has dropped by 1K. Actually there may be further price drops, as I hear. Moser has also mentioned it in the above in his posts. Let's see if it's worth waiting.

Just got my ps3. 80gb with dualshock he gave me killzone2 and hdmi cable free.been playing battlefield bad company for hours now.

So all you ps3 players whats your ids so i can add you as friends .

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Shuv and Moser, for painstakingly answering all my questions between the two of you. Yes, the price has dropped by 1K. Actually there may be further price drops, as I hear. Moser has also mentioned it in the above in his posts. Let's see if it's worth waiting.

Shuv said everything I could've said. As for waiting, DONT. The prices will surely drop. They drop every 6 months or so (even less) but calculate the wait time and how much you could've enjoyed using it...

Then one day, there'll be a new console priced a good 10K above the justified price tag. You'll postpone the purchase because you'll want to buy when the price comes to a reasonable level. The vicious circle starts again!

I think its the best time to buy PS3 right now (Or before diwali if you still want to wait to see if the price drops) and it was the best time to buy XBOX360 probably 1.5 years ago... My opinion though, I could be totally wrong....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back