No video through HDMI - Epson EX71

ukjeyaraj

I have an Epson EX71 projector which was fine until 2 days back. Now there is no video from the projector when connected through HDMI. Display from projector gives default logo screen with OSD like which source is selected etc.

Components used

HTPC/Asus Oplay HD2
Pioneer VSX-520
Epson EX-71
Mx HDMI cables
Mx VGA cables

Following tests are done already
1) Changed HDMI cable
2) Connected from different sources directly to projector (i.e., not through AVR)

End Result is
--> Projector is working when any video is played through analogue (VGA) cable

--> All the source could play video through HDMI into monitor/TV (both directly and through AVR)

--> No video from Projector if HDMI is selected as source (both directly and through AVR). Display message shows No Signal

Do I need to check anything more?

Product is currently out of warranty. Written to Epson (US support) and the recommendation from Epson is to send the product for repair. Alternately they have suggested to buy a new one and offered to give some discount coupons, with validity for around 15 to 20 days.

Currently I can survive with VGA. But I want to fix the problem.

I have already contacted braintone india limited in mumbai, who are ready to check and give solution with a minimum diagnosis fee of Rs.1250/-. Anyone have prior experience in dealing with them?

Any other suggestion?

Thanks in advance.

It was working very well. I was using HDMI since the beginning. It is Mx cable. I have also checked with different cables.

The projector's native resolution is 1280x800 (WXGA). The HDMI port may not be HDCP compliant. Change the HDMI resolution to 1080i and check. This worked for me.

What do you mean by changing resolution to 1080i? Is it changing at the source(HTPC/media player)?

I have been using this setup for last 18 months and was working fine.

Still I had similar doubt and changed the resolution to 1280x800, but no video yet through HDMI.

What do you mean by changing resolution to 1080i? Is it changing at the source(HTPC/media player)?

I have been using this setup for last 18 months and was working fine.

Still I had similar doubt and changed the resolution to 1280x800, but no video yet through HDMI.
Yes. I meant at the source, i.e., HTPC. But if it was playing flawlessly earlier and now not playing then probably the HDMI port on projector is bad.

It was working very well. I was using HDMI since the beginning. It is Mx cable. I have also checked with different cables.

Well, if it was working earlier with the same variables (cable, monitor etc) and it's not working now, you already know the answer........something went wrong somewhere hardware wise - and you gotta bring it in.

Obviously, you're doing the right thing by getting in touch with Epson directly and going through authorized channels.

The hdmi board is probably fried. Any recent current outages ? If still under warranty, Epson should be able to replace the board for you.

No current outages. Its out of warranty. Both epson and local shop suggests that it may require replacement of input board which contains all inputs(hdmi/vga/rca av).

I have already talked to braintone india limited located near flora fountain at Mumbai. Is there any other servicing center?

Today I have given the projector to braintone india limited at Fort,Mumbai. I will wait and see and how it turns out to be.

It turned out to be, there is no option other than changing the motherboard of Projector which could have costed me not less than Rs.15000/-, and I did not want to spend that much.

Finally settled with a small HDMI to VGA converter imported from ebay.com for less than Rs.2000/- and it did the job.

Just thought of updating it here.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am facing exactly same issue with my Epson EH-TW 8100 projector and Company Quoted 65K for motherboard replacement.

I took ukjeyaraj advice for VGA to HDMI converter box.

If anyone facing same issue, please post.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back