Noob seeking help: NAD C325BEE + Preamp + Inputs

Bestunta

Hello everyone! This is my first ever thread on any forum... ever.

I have recently bought a Headphone Amp/Preamp (Little Dot MKIV) and am using the C325BEE as power amp. Works perfect! :)

:sos: My question is: If I am using a preamp with the NAD (Main In input), it bypasses the other inputs right? I haven't tried connecting them as I am afraid of causing any damage to both amps.

Say I want to connect my DVD player's audio out to the NAD, but also want to use the NAD as a power amp connected to my preamp (which in turn is connected to my macbook).

Is this possible?

BTW, Ascend Acoustics 340 or Wharfedale 10.6 for the NAD? :confused:

Thanks in advance!

The 325BEE has 'Pre-Out' and 'Mains In' sockets. In others words, the 325 is segregated as a pre-amplifier and a power amplifier. These two sockets are usually connected by a jumper pair.

If you remove the jumpers, the pre and power are completely isolated. The pre can be used with external amplifiers by connection the pre-out to a power amplifier. You can also use the 325 as a power amplifier by connecting an external pre to the 'Mains In'.

If you use the jumpers, then you cannot connect an external pre-amplifier to the 325. In other words, you can only use one pre-amplifer at a time - either the 325's own pre or an external pre.

If you keep the jumpers in place, do NOT connected any pre-amplifer output to any of the Line-ins of the 325. You will overload the system and, possibly, burn it.

Cheers

Thanks for the quick reply venkatcr!

However I still haven't understood something...

I am using a Pre with the NAD as I said (via Main In), and thus not going to connect anything to the Pre Out.
This being said, can I connect, for example, my DVD's Audio Out to the NAD's Video input despite the NAD being used as a Power Amp for another Pre via Main In input?

Simply put: Can I have a Main In connection AND a Video In connection?

Here is the rear panel of the C325Bee:
http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4500/nadc325beeback.jpg

Hope I not being too annoying!:lol:

Thanks again.

Let us see if I can explain this simply.

The NAD has two parts

- a pre-amplifier that has a number of inputs.
- a power amplifier that has just a input pair - left and right.

When you keep the jumpers in place, you are effectively connecting the NAD's pre and power together. When you remove the jumpers, the pre is completely disconnected from the power. Whatever you connect to the input of the NAD, no data will go to the power amp.

Essentially you can either use the internal pre of the NAD, or (by removing the jumpers) or use an external pre. You cannot use both at the same time.

A power amplifier will accept input from only one pre-amplifier. That is the reason that a power amplifier has a single pair of RCA sockets.

Cheers

hi,firstly welcome to our forum.secondly,considering u have gone in for the littledot mkiv,curious as to what cans u use with it?or do u use it only for duty as a pre?cheers

hi,firstly welcome to our forum.secondly,considering u have gone in for the littledot mkiv,curious as to what cans u use with it?or do u use it only for duty as a pre?cheers

I have the AKG K272HD and use them with the LD MKIV.
I'm pretty happy with both, but I haven't tried other cans for comparison.

What's cool though is that you can choose from 4 different gain settings of the LD MKIV to better match your headphones! :)

Cheers.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back