Norge Amplifier

joysen2002

Hello All,

Can you all plz suggest how the Norge Amplifiers are?
Norge2060, 1000 or 2000 ref...your valuable inputs will be of great help and highly appreciated.

Thank You...

1000 would do good.
Sonodyne 2605 is a tad bright with their own amplifier. Norge 1000 being 'warm' should match the Sonus perfectly.

Thanks for your suggestion...currently I m having Marantz pm5004 which I think might be underpowered to drive 2605... So thinking of Norge...Thanks again...

Awaiting for more suggestion on using norge 1000 with sonus 2605 from fellow members...
Thanks....

I think, Norge pre-power combo (Norge 1200 Pro/Pre-Amp - Norge Audio ) is capable of driving sonus 2605. 2605 is a 3 way, 4 driver speaker system; it needs powerful amplifier. other than this model, Norge amplifiers are not capable of driving sonus 2605. Sonodyne's own SIA-320 is underpowered to drive sonus 2605. Yamaha AS500 has adequate power to drive sonus 2605, but this combo sounds very bright. One thing I want to mention that don't go by power rating, SIA 320 delivers 80 watt/channel, while Yamaha A-S500 delivers 85 watt/channel output; difference seems negligible but in reality, AS500 miles ahead of SIA320/Norge 1000

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestion...however as you told yamaha with sonus will be too bright, in that case which amp should I use?... My budget is bit low, max 15K and open to both new as well preowned (preferably from hifivision members) amplifiers. I am having marantz pm5004 right now which I think is also underpowered.
Plz suggest.

Thanks for the suggestion...however as you told yamaha with sonus will be too bright, in that case which amp should I use?... My budget is bit low, max 15K and open to both new as well preowned (preferably from hifivision members) amplifiers. I am having marantz pm5004 right now which I think is also underpowered.
Plz suggest.

------------------------------------------------
I understand your predicament as I went through the same. Sonodyne Sonus 2605 is a very good FS but as I mentioned that it needs powerful amplifier. Marantz is a very good brand but if you want to buy their powerful amp (PM7005 / PM8005), you have to spend more than 80K, same goes for NAD amplifiers. I went through same predicament; after lot of deliberation, I bought Marantz PM 6004 and POLK TSx330 (2way, 3 driver speaker) and in my honest opinion, it sounds very good. In your case, since your budget is low, I'd request you to go for pre-owned route; then again, in Kolkata, premium/audiophile market is nowhere comparable to Bangalore/Mumbai/Hyderabad market; in Kolkata (no offense to Kolkatan, as I am also a Kolkatan) most of the people go bonkers over mass-market sony/samsung/LG/Philips made 5.1 HTIB, that's too for music listening. Point is, when people don't buy audiophile products, then question of getting good quality pre-owened audiophile gear is next to impossible. In Pune/ Mumbai, you will find huge demand and supply for quality pre-owned av gear.Again, I personally don't encourage buying pre-owned av equipment, without examining the product, so you have almost no choice. All you can do is, wait for sometime, increase your budget, then go for good quality product.

Last edited:
Norge 1000 will do, but go for Norge Mosfet 2000, It will be better match to drive the sonus2605. Don't underestimate Norge.

Yes...thats very true...in Kolkata u absolutely have very very limited options to get a good preowned product...plz suggest some good amps apart frm those 80K products...I already bought 2605 nd atleast for now I need to get some moderate integrated amplifier...

Norge has quite a reputation among the members here and with good reason too. Unfortunately yo can not get to hear Norge unless you take the plunge. In spite of many recommendations for Norge the only reason I have not yet spent on such a promising VFM Indian product is the lack of an audition.
Having owned the Sonodyne amplifier I have half a mind to vote for Norge but that would be wrong as I have not heard it.

Yes...thats very true...in Kolkata u absolutely have very very limited options to get a good preowned product...plz suggest some good amps apart frm those 80K products...I already bought 2605 nd atleast for now I need to get some moderate integrated amplifier...
--------------------------------------------------
Dear Joybabu,
Where do you stay in Kolkata? If you are from Ballygaunge/ Lake Gardens area, you may visit either ProFX (@ Hindustan Road) or Yamaha showroom (behind Lake mall),get audition of Yamaha A-S500 with your sonus 2605. I am suggesting A-S500, even after knowing that the combo is bright because you can get a brand new A-S500 for as low as 29K in Kolkata and after using it for 1-2 years, you can sell it and go for more reputed brand with more power output. Moreover, you may like the combo, even if most of the fellow forum members (including me) say that 'Yamaha A-S500 + Sonodyne Sonus 2605' combo is bright. But you never know! as every individual is different and so is the taste!

Last edited:
Thanks again...As you advised I will visit both the place...I know Mr Biswas from yamaha very well and will visit his shop...I already asked him for a used yamaha as500...btw i stay in Kasba... :)

^ My place is ten mintues away from Yamaha showroom :D

Anyways, I have heard good reputation of norge. You can take that 'risk'. Also try Harmonie Audio (Mr. Vasu) at Alipore and ask if he has something pre-used/ demo amp for sale.

Or you can actually check the for sale section of this forum or hifiads.

Thanks for your post...today only I visited Mr Vasu's showroom for auditioning Usher v601... He has a demo model of denon amp which is currently out of my budget... :sad: ...but he is a gem of a gentleman and I am ver very impressed with him...
Do you have any used yamaha or norge amplifier? I am continuously checking for sale section and hifiads but unfortunate enough that not getting anything...

Off the topic but how did you like the Ushers?
Mr. Vasu is a true gentleman and a proper audiophile, he can guide you in the right direction.

Thanks a lot...I will contact him asap...meanwhile can you please let me know how is the amplifier and its compatibility with Sonus 2605v3...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back