Norge Concerto Gold 1000 Review ( An underestimated Brand)

Shammi Dang

Just wanted to write about my recent purchase and usage experience of Norge Concerto Gold 1000, an Indian made stereo integrated amplifier (92 + 92 w at 8 ohms). I am using this amp from past one week now. My previous experience with NAD and Cambridge Audio integrated amps had been good and satisfactory, no complaints. I had my doubts about purchasing Norge amplifier so I took the long route of auditioning this before the purchase. My biggest limitation was that I cannot test with my own Bookshelf speakers (Elac debut B5 and Wharfedale Evo 4.1) so I have to just rely on instinct and judgement. So I took a couple of my CD's and few good grade interconnect cables along. I tested three models starting from Professional series 2060, Concerto Gold 1000 and Mosfet reference 2000. The auditioning experience was very satisfactory, the helpful nature and good Knowledge of Mr Laxman who is with Norge from past 40 years has helped me to choose the right amplifier. Speakers were by Norge. I did not liked their towers (TWR 125 MK III) as Bass was boomy and not to my musical liking. The bookshelf speakers (Millenium MK II) with 6.5 inch woofer was good enough with almost all the tested amps.

Although all the amplifiers were good in their own way but I selected Concerto Gold 1000 for it's music linearity and good power at Low volume. Few Drawbacks that can be overlooked looking at the price of this budge friendly amplifier., I particularly did not like the fit and finish, the quality of power cord. The looks are average but decent enough. There is no remote control, not even basic one to control the volume.

Sound experience - At my home I used it with various sources - Direct CD, TV streamer/TV routed via Dac, Direct Tuner, from PC routed via Dac. With my Elac Speakers sound is little better then Wharfedale's although Wharfedale's are from higher price bracket. Amplifier sound signature is very natural, true to the source. There is no extra ordinary bass, the mids and treble are astonishing and I think this is the area the Norge amp get good ratings from me. As I said the bass is not that extra ordinary does not mean it is less, a little adjustment in the sound settings (Bass & treble) one can get the desired sound results or if someone is using speakers that has 6 inches woofer the bass response will be adequate enough at flat setting.

Many a times there are people who have just ventured into this hobby wants to know about cost effective/ budget friendly set ups. This amp is one of those that can satisfy the beginners as well as seasoned audiophiles provided one has an open mind and do not give too much importance to brand name, popularity and social acceptance (log kya kahenge itna sasta amplifier, no class). Sometimes in India we end up buying high priced/ escalated double priced top imported brands in the name of social acceptance and quality/fit and finish. Many a times we do not derive much satisfaction and when these equipment's develop some technical fault then again we end up with high amount for repairs, transport/handling etc.

This is a very cost effective amplifier for two channel Audiophile stereo set up. For rest of the equipment's one can always find different products in various price brackets depending on budget. Satisfaction all lies in what we are comfortable with and not what what others will feel about our audio set up.

My ratings for this amplifier on a scale of Five.
Sound quality - 4.5. Fit and finish - 3, Features - 3 (No remote) otherwise 4, Appeal - 4 (Simple looks & functional, no frills), Affordability - 5.

Hope this review is helpful to anyone who are planning a new separate component audio set up or anyone planning an add on integrated amplifier. Pl note that there was not even a user manual with this amplifier.

As of now I am happy and content with my purchase and will update after 1 year usage experience. website - www.norgeaudio.com

Just wanted to write about my recent purchase and usage experience of Norge Concerto Gold 1000, an Indian made stereo integrated amplifier (92 + 92 w at 8 ohms). I am using this amp from past one week now. My previous experience with NAD and Cambridge Audio integrated amps had been good and satisfactory, no complaints. I had my doubts about purchasing Norge amplifier so I took the long route of auditioning this before the purchase. My biggest limitation was that I cannot test with my own Bookshelf speakers (Elac debut B5 and Wharfedale Evo 4.1) so I have to just rely on instinct and judgement. So I took a couple of my CD's and few good grade interconnect cables along. I tested three models starting from Professional series 2060, Concerto Gold 1000 and Mosfet reference 2000. The auditioning experience was very satisfactory, the helpful nature and good Knowledge of Mr Laxman who is with Norge from past 40 years has helped me to choose the right amplifier. Speakers were by Norge. I did not liked their towers (TWR 125 MK III) as Bass was boomy and not to my musical liking. The bookshelf speakers (Millenium MK II) with 6.5 inch woofer was good enough with almost all the tested amps.

Although all the amplifiers were good in their own way but I selected Concerto Gold 1000 for it's music linearity and good power at Low volume. Few Drawbacks that can be overlooked looking at the price of this budge friendly amplifier., I particularly did not like the fit and finish, the quality of power cord. The looks are average but decent enough. There is no remote control, not even basic one to control the volume.

Sound experience - At my home I used it with various sources - Direct CD, TV streamer/TV routed via Dac, Direct Tuner, from PC routed via Dac. With my Elac Speakers sound is little better then Wharfedale's although Wharfedale's are from higher price bracket. Amplifier sound signature is very natural, true to the source. There is no extra ordinary bass, the mids and treble are astonishing and I think this is the area the Norge amp get good ratings from me. As I said the bass is not that extra ordinary does not mean it is less, a little adjustment in the sound settings (Bass & treble) one can get the desired sound results or if someone is using speakers that has 6 inches woofer the bass response will be adequate enough at flat setting.

Many a times there are people who have just ventured into this hobby wants to know about cost effective/ budget friendly set ups. This amp is one of those that can satisfy the beginners as well as seasoned audiophiles provided one has an open mind and do not give too much importance to brand name, popularity and social acceptance (log kya kahenge itna sasta amplifier, no class). Sometimes in India we end up buying high priced/ escalated double priced top imported brands in the name of social acceptance and quality/fit and finish. Many a times we do not derive much satisfaction and when these equipment's develop some technical fault then again we end up with high amount for repairs, transport/handling etc.

This is a very cost effective amplifier for two channel Audiophile stereo set up. For rest of the equipment's one can always find different products in various price brackets depending on budget. Satisfaction all lies in what we are comfortable with and not what what others will feel about our audio set up.

Sound quality - 4.5. Fit and finish - 3, Features - 3 (No remote) otherwise 4, Appeal - 4 (Simple looks & functional, no frills), Affordability - 5.

Hope this review is helpful to anyone who are planning a new separate component audio set up or anyone planning an add on integrated amplifier. Pl note that there was not even a user manual with this amplifier.

As of now I am happy and content with my purchase and will update after 1 year usage experience. website - www.norgeaudio.com
Iam also using this it's really good.

Nice crisp review. However, its a crime not to post pictures.

Do they need to be contacted to buy something? I see they have a pre + power amp combo. Any idea if they sell only power amps? Are they open to minor customizations?

MaSh

Hi Shammi, great going. It isn't often that one finds satisfaction with gear! The fact it's not Uber expensive sweetens the pie further.

For those contemplating the Norge as an option, it would be really helpful if you could mention the Cambridge and NAD amplifiers you were using prior as well as your current chain i.e. source, DAC and cables.

I first discovered this forum about 10 years ago, and bought the Norge Concerto based on recommendations here ! I have had many happy hours of listening , first with Norge speakers and later with Wharfedales. Norge products are probably the best option in India for price sensitive folk like me. Rest in peace , Mr Sam Bajaj.

Hi Shammi, great going. It isn't often that one finds satisfaction with gear! The fact it's not Uber expensive sweetens the pie further.

For those contemplating the Norge as an option, it would be really helpful if you could mention the Cambridge and NAD amplifiers you were using prior as well as your current chain i.e. source, DAC and cables.
I thought it was not necessary as i am writing review on Norge and not doing comparison. Just giving some details of other gears. NAD c325bee (50w RMS per channel, 8 ohms) presently not working. CA topaz AM10 (35w per channel, 8 ohms). CD player NAD c325bee, DAC Schiit modi 3, speaker cable Monster standard 16awg, MX 16 awg, banana plugs by MX, majorly all interconnect cables(digital, analog)by MX, one 2rca cable by profigold, no special electrical supply protection. Apart from ups invertor the system is connected on GM spike guard, nothing fancy.

Do they need to be contacted to buy something? I see they have a pre + power amp combo. Any idea if they sell only power amps? Are they open to minor customizations?

MaSh
Yes, pl contact them and visit. They do sell power amp separately. Pre + power is around 25K as per their rate list of Oct 2022. You can check with them about customisation query. You are right, I will edit my post and post some pictures.

I first discovered this forum about 10 years ago, and bought the Norge Concerto based on recommendations here ! I have had many happy hours of listening , first with Norge speakers and later with Wharfedales. Norge products are probably the best option in India for price sensitive folk like me. Rest in peace , Mr Sam Bajaj.
Indeed, Mr. Shyam Bajaj was a grt person, very passionate about his work. I spoke to him a few times on 2008. He even published my general review on his website under customer experience. The title is 'A stereo audiophile' by Shammi lal. So nice of him to give me this recognition.

Yes. I agree with the comments on the Norge Gold. I had bought Gold 1000 during 2012 and it is still going strong.

Though I have been using quite a few combinations of DIY amps and preamps for last 10 years (ACA, JLH, Circlo-phone and preamps like Salas DCG3, Aniket's DD Pre, 6J1-Tube pre), Gold 1000 is comparatively good. A very good amp to start a journey in high quality audio.

Few things I forgot to add in my previous reply. I also have dedicated Am/fm tuner of DNM (Indian brand). A 4K tv streamer (mi box) that I also use for Amazon prime music. Speakers are placed on Sound foundation (Indian Brand) speaker stands (Model-Nemesis) that are filled with river white sand. The audio components rests on Sound foundation audio rack (Alpha Evo 22 Maple wood-rectangular) with spikes at bottom.

Yes. I agree with the comments on the Norge Gold. I had bought Gold 1000 during 2012 and it is still going strong.

Though I have been using quite a few combinations of DIY amps and preamps for last 10 years (ACA, JLH, Circlo-phone and preamps like Salas DCG3, Aniket's DD Pre, 6J1-Tube pre), Gold 1000 is comparatively good. A very good amp to start a journey in high quality audio.
In fact mine is not start of journey. I started with my first component system in 1985, Philips ampli deck AW739 for Rs. 5000/- app . I purposely bought this Norge amplifier after using better and refined sounding amps like NAD (C325bee). I wanted to see if Indian audio products are really inferior as ppl in different forums project them to be. On sound quality part I am convinced it does not fall short. Now I have to check the longevity of this product.

MaSh
I have spoken to Mr Laxman of Norge in the past and I think yes, they can offer you some customization.

Hi
Please mention price of Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amp ?
Thanks

Now I have to check the longevity of this product.
Even if it does develop a problem later after few years, you can contact them directly for genuine spares. They have been very helpful. That's one of the advantages of purchasing Indian brands like Norge and Dnm.
Trust this amp would give you many years of music reproduction.

Even if it does develop a problem later after few years, you can contact them directly for genuine spares. They have been very helpful. That's one of the advantages of purchasing Indian brands like Norge and Dnm.
Trust this amp would give you many years of music reproduction.
That's what they have told me. I have no worries. I know these things last if properly used and not abused. My previous NAD amplifier has given flawless performance for 15 years.

Thanks for a great introduction to Norge @Shammi Dang. Appreciate your taking the time to review and post here. My curiosity is piqued, hopefully someday I will experience Norge's amplification chops.
Thanks for your appreciative words. Once you audition I bet you will not be disappointed. In your city or nearby location. Check for their dealers, very few locations are covered.

How was your experience comparing Norge 1000 with Norge 2000?
Both have similar power available on the tap.

Also curious to know, you went from Pune to Mumbai for auditions? I am quite sure there are shops in Pune that sell Norge (I bought Norge 1000 from Pune)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back