Norge Concerto Gold 1000 Review ( An underestimated Brand)

I went to Hammersmith Industrial Estate last month and met Shri Laxman who personally builds these fine amplifiers and speakers, as also a phono stage. His skill and dedication is truly remarkable. I have owned ,earlier, two of his amps, and they gave flawless service. Kudos.

How was your experience comparing Norge 1000 with Norge 2000?
Both have similar power available on the tap.

Also curious to know, you went from Pune to Mumbai for auditions? I am quite sure there are shops in Pune that sell Norge (I bought Norge 1000 from Pune)
There was no info about any pune dealer mentioned on their website. I auditioned at Mumbai as I want to check out three models. Concerto gold 1000 has class AB design with traditional/conventional type of transistors and Reference 2000 is class AB with Mosfets. There was some difference in sound presentation when played on their bookshelves speakers. For people who like more bass reference 2000 will appeal as the initial thrust of bass was good. I found Concerto1000 model to be more linear in presentation for all frequencies. Moreover the real match was not with their speakers. I had in my mind my own speakers sound signature and how the amp will sound so that is the reason for concerto gold 1000 purchase.

Last edited:
I went to Hammersmith Industrial Estate last month and met Shri Laxman who personally builds these fine amplifiers and speakers, as also a phono stage. His skill and dedication is truly remarkable. I have owned ,earlier, two of his amps, and they gave flawless service. Kudos.
Good to see someone travelling such a distance for auditions.

Nice of u to post these pics. I am trying to post one but it says image is large. I am using my mobile to take pic. My amp is black in colour. Some aesthetic difference as power switch in mine is narrow and long, inside i think they have incorporated speaker protection. Small red led's on inside part of speaker terminals. There are also some green led's at some boards. I have not opened the amplifier but i believe it looks the same.

Last edited:
Nice of u to post these pics. I am trying to post one but it says image is large. I am using my mobile to take pic. My amp is black in colour. Some aesthetic difference as power switch in mine is narrow and long, rest all is same.
this is from my collections which has now considerably thinned. I also had some all India made Pulz, Cosmic, Burson and Sonodyne amps which I gave off in the last few years.

Nice review Shammi. Thanks. Brings back my memory of Norge 2060 which was my first step into hifi. I remember Mr Bajaj asking me what genre of music I listen to and then frowning when I also showed my ipod touch to him which I used for listening (LOL). He then introduced me to CD players- he used a Philips player then. Now they audition with Marantz. I have been in touch with Mr Laxman for long. Recently I heard their tower speakers which they have tweaked based on popular preference (bass heavy). I pointed this out to Mr Laxman and he said that he could tweak the sound to my liking if I wanted to buy a pair. Infact they do have a pair of the previous version of tower speakers in the workshop which Mr Bajaj and Mr Laxman had built for Mrs Bajaj. Its not on sale but it has the original sound signature without the overpowering bass.
In case you want to take things a bit further try experimenting with minidsp or similar. It will take your listening to a new level altogether and also take care of "upgraditis".
Cheers

I Did own this amplifier for quite a while.. It really packs way above its pricepoint.
getting a bit technical it "might be" based on Rod Elliot's design (Which is a very famous and good one)
We do have a thread on it with innards and so!

I Did own this amplifier for quite a while.. It really packs way above its pricepoint.
getting a bit technical it "might be" based on Rod Elliot's design (Which is a very famous and good one)
We do have a thread on it with innards and so!

nice photos. Your's has the added relay-based speaker protection module which I removed.

Relay.jpg

Mentioned about build quality in my review. Standard warranty on all their products is 1 year.
Ah, apologies missed that! Thanks for the helpful inputs. It does inspire confidence in Norge, and I am happy to recommend them to a friend. I hope they expand their dealer network pan India for easy availability. Cheers and as always enjoy the music.

Ah, apologies missed that! Thanks for the helpful inputs. It does inspire confidence in Norge, and I am happy to recommend them to a friend. I hope they expand their dealer network pan India for easy availability. Cheers and as always enjoy the music.
Apart from the good/natural sound quality which off course is personal choice these amps are very reasonably priced. It is just like buying High quality almonds (Mumbra Badam) at price of Gujarat peanuts. Few big downsides - Average build quality/fit and finish/basic looks (like Indian amps of 80's/90's), No Remote so very inconvenient. Even the model 2060 (60w per channel) has enough power for mid size room and this amp was able to drive their bookshelf speaker with ease (82db sensitivity).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back