Norge Concerto Gold 1000 Review ( An underestimated Brand)

I own a Norge concerto Gold 1000. 15 years old trouble free. its built like a Military Tank. this is a serious Music listeners Amp. Best for Indian music. Vocals (mids) are so well tuned. if you love heavy Bass this is not for you. It doesn't have a Loudness control so low volume listening lacks punch. In my case I have pushed in a car equalizer in between the Amp and source. So extra bass boost can be achieved. but if you have a built in Loudness option thats much better. couple of years back had some issue on balance control I sprayed WD 40 on all controls so they work fine now. Old Sonodyne has a much better sound signature. But these days Sonodyne think they are Bose so just let it off the range. Also they dont make those amps anymore. Also there is a company called Sound king in Pune they make cheap and best Amplifier under 6k I bought one and it really works good with my Towers as well as with vintage Akkai 3 way book shelves with 10 inch woofer. this amp sounds bit harsh but you can adjust it with controls according to your choice. this has a Loudness control as well. Amp is dead silent on Volume knob on 12 o clock position. no humming. its good for the price. If you are Partying this will give you the real kick ass bass. by the way I am not Audiophile ha ha
Please write a separate review on sound king amplifier as many over here will like to know some good and bad opinion about that amplifier and company, service etc. Do mention the model number and power ratings etc and how was your experience in details, the kind of music you played with at amplifier and what was the source.

Also there is a company called Sound king in Pune they make cheap and best Amplifier under 6k I bought one and it really works good with my Towers as well as with vintage Akkai 3 way book shelves with 10 inch woofer
Can you please mention which model you are referring here.

My brief update after one year usage of Norge concerto gold 1000 amplifier

Simply fabulous performance, no issues, no complaints. The simplistic look are no matter to me now as they have overgrown on me and I do not make comparisons with other amps that are far better in looks. I alternately use two sets of speakers with this amp and both speaker sets (Wharfedale evo 4.1 & Elac debut b5) are driven very nicely, however I prefer to use Wharfedale's because of the Mid tones quality. I never had a need to increase the vol of the amp to 12'0 clock position even when I have to play loud. I mostly use the tone setting as "Flat" however it also depend on the source of music. In the initial days when I purchased this component I used to alternate it with Cambridge Audio AM10 (35w per channel power) as I wanted to keep both amps running but now from sometime the CA amp is packed and kept in storage. CA am10 is earlier model of the current version Cambridge Audio AXA35.

My audio chain: Pioneer DVD player for CD playback, DNM Tuner, Sony 4K tv, WD live Hub (media player), MI box 4K for various apps and prime
music, PC & android mobile
Schiit Modi3 DAC for connecting DVD player (coaxial cable), TV (spdif-toslink cable), WD media hub (routed to tv with hdmi
cable), Pc/Android (USB cable), RCA output from DAC to the amplifier
DNM tuner is directly connected to the amplifier with RCA cable.
DAC and tuner connected to the amplifier with RCA cable, Amp connected to speakers with DAC 12awg full ofc, terminated with
metal banana plugs at both ends.
Speaker stands - "Nemesis" by Sound foundation. The twin pillars in both stands are filled with white sand, isolation with spikes, Audio Rack - "Alpha Evo 22" by Sound foundation, rack isolation with spikes.
Cables and interconnects - RCA interconnects by MX and profigold, Digital cables by MX, one hdmi cable by honeywell, Speaker
cables by DAC(designer audio cable), No special electrical power boards are used, just simple surge
protector by GM and the full electrical connection is on home based invertor (sin wave/ups type)

Drawback (Amplifier) - No remote (only one that I feel as sometimes I am little lazy and wants to increase or decrease vol in comfort).

Detailed performance review - Beginning of this thread. (No changes)

Note - Pics are downsized ones as full resolution pics are not possible to attach.

Attachments

• Audio Unit (full view).jpg
    Audio Unit (full view).jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Audio unit (part view).jpg
    Audio unit (part view).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:
My first amp in 2009 on a budget was the Norge Concerto Gold driving Wharfedale 9.6 floorstanding speakers. Thereafter Marantz 5004, Cambridge Audio CA30, and now Acoustic Portrait Swara, back to an India brand. Considering inflation, 11,000/- for the Concerto in 2009 now becoming 17,000/- there is not much of a real price rise for the value it delivers.

My first amp in 2009 on a budget was the Norge Concerto Gold driving Wharfedale 9.6 floorstanding speakers. Thereafter Marantz 5004, Cambridge Audio CA30, and now Acoustic Portrait Swara, back to an India brand. Considering inflation, 11,000/- for the Concerto in 2009 now becoming 17,000/- there is not much of a real price rise for the value it delivers.
True, Satisfaction and value we derive from a product is all mind game and satisfaction lies within a person. We have majority of population who still cannot afford to build a separate component audio system because of financial, space or lack of interest reasons. It is observed that Indian audio products are looked down by majority of audio users. However I see you are using Swara by Acoustic portrait. How is the performance and have you paired the amp with Wharfedale 9.6. Please write your overall experience.

Every thing is fine with Norge except one drawback they are not providing Loudness on/off option. Which is a must for listening in low volume. This provide low frequency boost with a nice thump. I spoke to Mr Laxman he bluntly said no way😀.

True, Satisfaction and value we derive from a product is all mind game and satisfaction lies within a person. We have majority of population who still cannot afford to build a separate component audio system because of financial, space or lack of interest reasons. It is observed that Indian audio products are looked down by majority of audio users. However I see you are using Swara by Acoustic portrait. How is the performance and have you paired the amp with Wharfedale 9.6. Please write your overall experience.
I have written a review of the AP Swara amp here: https://www.hifivision.com/threads/...ntegrated-amplifier-review.89877/post-1011029
Though I've not used it with Wharf 9.6.

Every thing is fine with Norge except one drawback they are not providing Loudness on/off option. Which is a must for listening in low volume. This provide low frequency boost with a nice thump. I spoke to Mr Laxman he bluntly said no way😀.
I think you need to speak to Rod Elliott about adding a loudness circuit to his P3A amp

Once he does that then Norge will follow suit as their amp is a unauthorised copy of that amp

Expecting an employee of a company to be able to change circuits and associated costs will be too much

Try keeping the bass to 2 points on + side while listening on low volumes. However there are contradictory thoughts on increasing or decreasing tone controls and majority of audiophiles are against it. If u are comfortable then try and experiment, maybe you will not feel the need for loudness control. This is my personal experience as I listen to volumes not exceeding 1/4th on the concerto gold amp and I keep bass between 1 & 2 on the + side.

Try keeping the bass to 2 points on + side while listening on low volumes. However there are contradictory thoughts on increasing or decreasing tone controls and majority of audiophiles are against it. If u are comfortable then try and experiment, maybe you will not feel the need for loudness control. This is my personal experience as I listen to volumes not exceeding 1/4th on the concerto gold amp and I keep bass between 1 & 2 on the + side.
I tried everything with norge. It lacks low volume bass for sure. Even I paired with Akai vitage book shelves with 10inch woofers but the bass goes down along with the volume. The circuit design itself is such its made keeping in mind the mid frequency particularly voice, so it lacks depth in low volume. A loudness on/off option might have solved the issue. Its the current which drive the heavier coil of woofer while reducing the volume along with the voltage the current also drop. Here the loudness circuit comes in handy holding the current from dropping.

I think you need to speak to Rod Elliott about adding a loudness circuit to his P3A amp

Once he does that then Norge will follow suit as their amp is a unauthorised copy of that amp

Expecting an employee of a company to be able to change circuits and associated costs will be too much
Oh 🤔 then you need to send me air tickets to Norway so that I shall discuss and come back 😀

I tried everything with norge. It lacks low volume bass for sure. Even I paired with Akai vitage book shelves with 10inch woofers but the bass goes down along with the volume. The circuit design itself is such its made keeping in mind the mid frequency particularly voice, so it lacks depth in low volume. A loudness on/off option might have solved the issue. Its the current which drive the heavier coil of woofer while reducing the volume along with the voltage the current also drop. Here the loudness circuit comes in handy holding the current from dropping.

If that's the case I think u better change ur amp with something u find more appealing to your likings. I am satisfied with the mid oriented presentation of Norge concerto gold 1000, and whatever bass the amp is producing is fine for me. I use two sets of bookshelf speakers alternatively. Elac debut b5 and wharfedale evo 4.1. The Elac's are little better for bass but I use wharfedale's around 80% of time.

Last edited:
Just wanted to write about my recent purchase and usage experience of Norge Concerto Gold 1000, an Indian made stereo integrated amplifier (92 + 92 w at 8 ohms). I am using this amp from past one week now. My previous experience with NAD and Cambridge Audio integrated amps had been good and satisfactory, no complaints. I had my doubts about purchasing Norge amplifier so I took the long route of auditioning this before the purchase. My biggest limitation was that I cannot test with my own Bookshelf speakers (Elac debut B5 and Wharfedale Evo 4.1) so I have to just rely on instinct and judgement. So I took a couple of my CD's and few good grade interconnect cables along. I tested three models starting from Professional series 2060, Concerto Gold 1000 and Mosfet reference 2000. The auditioning experience was very satisfactory, the helpful nature and good Knowledge of Mr Laxman who is with Norge from past 40 years has helped me to choose the right amplifier. Speakers were by Norge. I did not liked their towers (TWR 125 MK III) as Bass was boomy and not to my musical liking. The bookshelf speakers (Millenium MK II) with 6.5 inch woofer was good enough with almost all the tested amps.

Although all the amplifiers were good in their own way but I selected Concerto Gold 1000 for it's music linearity and good power at Low volume. Few Drawbacks that can be overlooked looking at the price of this budge friendly amplifier., I particularly did not like the fit and finish, the quality of power cord. The looks are average but decent enough. There is no remote control, not even basic one to control the volume.

Sound experience - At my home I used it with various sources - Direct CD, TV streamer/TV routed via Dac, Direct Tuner, from PC routed via Dac. With my Elac Speakers sound is little better then Wharfedale's although Wharfedale's are from higher price bracket. Amplifier sound signature is very natural, true to the source. There is no extra ordinary bass, the mids and treble are astonishing and I think this is the area the Norge amp get good ratings from me. As I said the bass is not that extra ordinary does not mean it is less, a little adjustment in the sound settings (Bass & treble) one can get the desired sound results or if someone is using speakers that has 6 inches woofer the bass response will be adequate enough at flat setting.

Many a times there are people who have just ventured into this hobby wants to know about cost effective/ budget friendly set ups. This amp is one of those that can satisfy the beginners as well as seasoned audiophiles provided one has an open mind and do not give too much importance to brand name, popularity and social acceptance (log kya kahenge itna sasta amplifier, no class). Sometimes in India we end up buying high priced/ escalated double priced top imported brands in the name of social acceptance and quality/fit and finish. Many a times we do not derive much satisfaction and when these equipment's develop some technical fault then again we end up with high amount for repairs, transport/handling etc.

This is a very cost effective amplifier for two channel Audiophile stereo set up. For rest of the equipment's one can always find different products in various price brackets depending on budget. Satisfaction all lies in what we are comfortable with and not what what others will feel about our audio set up.

My ratings for this amplifier on a scale of Five.
Sound quality - 4.5. Fit and finish - 3, Features - 3 (No remote) otherwise 4, Appeal - 4 (Simple looks & functional, no frills), Affordability - 5.

Hope this review is helpful to anyone who are planning a new separate component audio set up or anyone planning an add on integrated amplifier. Pl note that there was not even a user manual with this amplifier.

As of now I am happy and content with my purchase and will update after 1 year usage experience. website - www.norgeaudio.com
Hi
I agree with your feedback.
I too started my journey with Norge way back in 1992 and it has not disappointed .
I have huge respect for the late Mr.Shyam Bajaj and Mr.Laxman at Norge.

Later on I moved on to Cosmic and finally Pulz (now).....always Indian brands ......and Mumbai based ( for Service).
I also will like to appreciate the write up or feedback very eleqoqantly written.

I'm sharing the photograph of my present setup currently in use.
Thanks again
Manoj

Attachments

• 20231121_090516.jpg
    20231121_090516.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 49
Hi
I agree with your feedback.
I too started my journey with Norge way back in 1992 and it has not disappointed .
I have huge respect for the late Mr.Shyam Bajaj and Mr.Laxman at Norge.

Later on I moved on to Cosmic and finally Pulz (now).....always Indian brands ......and Mumbai based ( for Service).
I also will like to appreciate the write up or feedback very eleqoqantly written.

I'm sharing the photograph of my present setup currently in use.
Thanks again
Manoj
Hi Manoj,

I am aware of brands that you are currently using, cosmic, pulz etc. In fact I have stayed some part of my life in Mumbai and even met some senior personnel from Pulz in 2007. I had started my Hi fi journey in 1985 with a Philips cassette Ampli deck AW729. Prior to that I used to have a small National Panasonic tape recorder. Then in 1991 I bought a combo of Philips cassette deck, Arphi equalizer(similar to the one in your system set up photograph), Arphi amplifier AA140 and Arphi super challenger speakers. In 2007 Nad integrated amp C325bee, Nad cd player C525bee and sonodyne towers Sonus 2605 and so on. Presently I have two amplifiers CA topaz am10 & Norge concerto gold 1000, two sets of bookshelf speakers Elac debut B5 and wharfedale evo 4.1 but I use Norge and Wharfedales combo most of the time. The sonic character of Norge is very much to my liking with very neutral sound. I had given description of my set in this same thread with two photographs on dec 9th, 2023. Have a look on that.

My honest observation about your set up - It is nice but slightly overdone. Maybe you like it this way. Wires need to be managed properly. I have used some wire management tools & techniques that has made my layout little systematic. As you have too many components the wire management will take lot of efforts and time but it can be done.

Last edited:
If that's the case I think u better change ur amp with something u find more appealing to your likings. I am satisfied with the mid oriented presentation of Norge concerto gold 1000, and whatever bass the amp is producing is fine for me. I use two sets of bookshelf speakers alternatively. Elac debut b5 and wharfedale evo 4.1. The Elac's are little better for bass but I use wharfedale's around 80% of time.

Wires need to be managed properly. I have used some wire management tools & techniques that has made my layout little systematic.
Can you share these tools and techniques (if possible with pics).
I find the wires in my set up very messy and it will be good to see some ideas !

Can you share these tools and techniques (if possible with pics).
I find the wires in my set up very messy and it will be good to see some ideas !
I have used cable management products available by MX (mdr electronics), DIY store and Ikea. It is more of a customized solution where a person applies this own creativity and organizing skills based on experience and awareness. Even a simple wire tuck and zipper ties can do the job and these are very easily available even at local shops. Hard to suggest any readymade solution. Check some videos on you tube. Also check the pic I have shared in this very thread on 9th Dec, 2023. Wire management is an ongoing process, changes every time we change placement, learn some new technique or buy new equipment.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back