Notion Ink's Adam - The ultimate tablet..and a Hd media player too!

I got an invite to pre-order but didn't go ahead...most of the user reviews seemed to state that Adam is good for serious tinkerers who like to root the system and play around with it. If you are someone who just wants to use a tablet, you should be looking elsewhere.

Considering Acer Iconia now...looking for some android tab...they seem to be catching up fast. Perhaps I should wait for them to make more inroads...

However good the design, or even the product, might be, this thing is a joke.

There is no advertising, there is no presence in retail outlets. The much vaunted presence at an international exhibition turned out to be the guy carrying one around to show to the gadget bloggers --- who now, it seems, have lost interest anyway.

Sorry, Notion Ink: your business model is just fine for a hobby.

It is not a vapourware it is real ,iam using Adam from march'11, iam pretty happy with it.Yes it had a lot of software issues most of them have been sorted with the latest update Eden 1.5. Plus it has great hacking community support creating wonderful ROM;s.Honeycomb update from 27th June.It is on Preorder as of now.

even I have been following them since they started..but it hasn't taken off the way I had expected it to be. They don't have a proper website, they have talked about starting support portal and more but can't see anything much. They should at least launch the product to the mainstream market before others take lead.
But as its a starup company, I will give them points for coming up with a great piece of hardware. Hopefully these other issues will be sorted out and the company will take off.

superb job by juniors , proud to read their success.
But dont feel soory to reveal the truth ,spare my limited knowledge:

Common people want tablet pc for
-coolness: very small tasks mainly to surf net or edit a few documents .
can be done with ease smooth android or other interface.
- amazing keep anywhere device:
sit on bean bag , armchair let the tablet connect to all frenz
lets you do your social hub updates , share pics
for holidays take 2 beaches , jungle , resort carry and have
laptop like ease
-unending battery :
here samsungs /apple score 9/10 amazing 10 Hours !!!!!
, others fail at 6/10

I suspect adam is lacking cool factor a bit ,the , multitouch ??, battery ? will tegra CPU give real 10hours , but the price game they are winning

[except in my case whre i get galaxy tabs at even lower, secret ]
, hatz off to the talents .
from adam to caveman notion ink will do very good in the future devices .

It is not a vapourware it is real ,iam using Adam from march'11, iam pretty happy with it.Yes it had a lot of software issues most of them have been sorted with the latest update Eden 1.5. Plus it has great hacking community support creating wonderful ROM;s.Honeycomb update from 27th June.It is on Preorder as of now.
I do believe that they exist. Good to know your experience.

Just... this kind of business, based on (I imagine) short manufacturing runs financed by pre-orders seems doomed.

I have no idea how a start-up competes in the open market with Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Dell, but I had expected some open-market presence by now.

I don't think it is going to happen

But I'd be very, very happy to be wrong on this!

I do believe that they exist. Good to know your experience.

Just... this kind of business, based on (I imagine) short manufacturing runs financed by pre-orders seems doomed.

I have no idea how a start-up competes in the open market with Apple, Samsung, Motorola, Dell, but I had expected some open-market presence by now.

I don't think it is going to happen

But I'd be very, very happy to be wrong on this!

They may exist for the precious few, all right, but where are the ads announcing the product? Where's the stock at various retailers (go to Ezone and ask them about Notion Ink's Adam and see what they say about it)? Where are the Service Centres if the pad goes kaput?

Preorder from where? Also, what about service, if and when needed? Having a dreem is nowhere near enough, IMO.

Last edited:
They may exist for the precious few, all right, but where are the ads announcing the product? Where's the stock at various retailers (go to Ezone and ask them about Notion Ink's Adam and see what they say about it)? Where are the Service Centres if the pad goes kaput?
Almost exactly what I was going to post next in this conversation :D

superb job by juniors , proud to read their success.
But dont feel soory to reveal the truth ,spare my limited knowledge:

Common people want tablet pc for
-coolness: very small tasks mainly to surf net or edit a few documents .
can be done with ease smooth android or other interface.
- amazing keep anywhere device:
sit on bean bag , armchair let the tablet connect to all frenz
lets you do your social hub updates , share pics
for holidays take 2 beaches , jungle , resort carry and have
laptop like ease
-unending battery :
here samsungs /apple score 9/10 amazing 10 Hours !!!!!
, others fail at 6/10

I suspect adam is lacking cool factor a bit ,the , multitouch ??, battery ? will tegra CPU give real 10hours , but the price game they are winning

[except in my case whre i get galaxy tabs at even lower, secret ]
, hatz off to the talents .
from adam to caveman notion ink will do very good in the future devices .

Kaushik agree with you on most points...

Adam runs on Gingerbread...honeycomb is expected. It does have multi-touch...its way cooler than most of the non-galaxy, non-ipad tabs around...but the problem lies not there...

Like others pointed...they don't have a widespread presence...service can be an issue. They have s/w niggles...the general opinion among hardcore Adam users is that it's suitable for nerds, geeks and tinkerers who would like to play around with the hw/sw of their tab, not just use it to surf and act cool...and 'that' is the problem...

I would have expected price to be similar in India as in US considering this is a India based company.
USD 375 = INR 19000?
Also shipping is another INR 3000 (actually INR 2999 in Bata style - said to include "Shipping , Customs, Taxes & Handling Charges")?.
And all this after being well aware of the jargon/facts that India is very price/value conscious, etc.

So, it's a luxury item: still, it matters that it comes from a serious company that one can trust to outlive the warranty period.

The Rs3,000 delivery is just dishonest pricing. I don't like that kind of thing at all.

Kaushik agree with you on most points...

Adam runs on Gingerbread...honeycomb is expected. It does have multi-touch...its way cooler than most of the non-galaxy, non-ipad tabs around...but the problem lies not there...

Like others pointed...they don't have a widespread presence...service can be an issue. They have s/w niggles...the general opinion among hardcore Adam users is that it's suitable for nerds, geeks and tinkerers who would like to play around with the hw/sw of their tab, not just use it to surf and act cool...and 'that' is the problem...

exactly as suspected .. but wish they will do much better :indifferent14:. for next release

exactly as suspected .. but wish they will do much better :indifferent14:. for next release

If they last.
There is only so much time an independent / venture capital assisted company can last till they sell out or fold up.
In my mind, this company has all the 'right credentials' and I would really like for it to be successful. I just dont see how though, I havent seen the wooing yet. Beats me which other demographics could be the target (customer). Personally I still am happy with my NookColor, but would have added on an Adam in a jiffy (just because it was much closer to the heart) but guess that is not to be! Whew!

I don't know how these things work, but wouldn't VC guys, having put their money in, have put some management in there, by now? If I was an investor I'd be worried.

There is only market for ipad not for the "me too " tablets, so unless someone comes up with a revolutionary idea the probability of success is very low. Incremental price/feature advantage wont cut it

There is only market for ipad not for the "me too " tablets...
On the contrary, there is a whole heap of us who, for various reasons, don't buy Apple.

Not that I, personally, am in the market for a tablet, but still, yes, they do give a twinge of gadget lust (The Register, a UK/USA IT news site, calls them "fondleslabs". Very neat term!) but I wouldn't even pick up the iPad --- whereas I might well get as far as "fondling" a Motorola or Samsung. And if that Adam was in the shops (or even in the media), it would definitely be a contender...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back