Now a Soviet Era Drivers for the Mets

IME, all speakers interact with the room, unless set up correctly. I had the B&W 801 Matrix speakers too. Set up correctly, nothing to beat the bass of B&W 801. Which is why I guess a few Pink Floyd albums have been mastered on B&W.

For coherency and tonality nothing by to touch a single driver.

For transparency an electrostatic.

For microdynamics and presence a horn.
Prem,
What about Field coils?
I have few vintage and modern ones. planning to build cabinets like this. Acquired Baltic birch ply of various thickness. Will start the project soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1520610389738.jpg
    IMG_1520610389738.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1520610278347.jpg
    IMG_1520610278347.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1520610333249.jpg
    IMG_1520610333249.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1520610293781.jpg
    IMG_1520610293781.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 26
Prem,
What about Field coils?
I have few vintage and modern ones. planning to build cabinets like this. Acquired Baltic birch ply of various thickness. Will start the project soon.
Measure them first and then simulate before building the box. It will save you time and money.

My 2 paise.

Shafic have heard the Line Magnetics once. Other than that have never heard a field coil. Sorry Shafic don’t know much about field coils to have anything meaningful to say :)

Some lessons learned from simulating an OB speaker,

- The ideal driver Qts should be around 1.0. Lower than 0.71 cannot give you good bottom-end.
- The position of the driver on the baffle (width & height) is crucial in getting good bottom-end and with minimum peaks & dips.
- Not all drivers (woofers & FR) are suitable for OB as its believed. The choice of drivers in FR is very minimum as most FR drivers are designed to go either in a horn loading or TL loading projects which has very low Qts not suitable for OB duty. Hence you will need a largish woofer to supplement the bottom-end which has its own issue of cross-overs and matching.

I tried simulating two Ahuja 12" woofers on an OB and found them to be not suitable for OB duty as they begin to surprisingly roll-off around 200 Hz even though it had a Qts of 0.69. So just having a 12" woofer is no qualification for and OB speaker IMHO.

@ Yogibear
Do you mean to get reasonable low end from an OB the size of the driver is important? Does it have to be 10"+ to get any meaning full bass. Does driver Qts do not play a major role here? Are the Basta simulation having some major bug? Are the simulations lying me? Please educate me as i have zero experience in an OB.

Yogibear, you can write to the guy in the thread whose link I had posted. He had replied to my queries with crossover details etc.

Unfortunately I no longer have them since I dropped the idea. This was more than 5 years back.

Thanks Yogibear for your insights. Appreciated.

Does that mean OB speakers are designed by expriments, trail & error rather than any solid driver TS parameters. More like bigger is better (BIB) for drivers? What role does then Basta play in the whole picture? Still wondering as MJK found practical execution to be different than simulation.

I have simulated some drivers in the LA and have noted that driver with high Qts rolls of earlier in a horn or TL speaker. Low Qts driver typically less than Qts < 0.5 are good for BLH & TLs.

-
-One aspect of high Qts drivers intrigues me a lot: Qts is made up of Qes and Qms. Two very similar high Qts value drivers could have radically different (high and low) Qms values. How do these two drivers actually compare sonically in bass duty, even if their Qts is same but radically different Qms values ?
I think drivers with high Qms and the same Qts will have a better mid-range presence and performance. I have seen drivers with high Qms in full-range drivers but with lower Qts. If Qms is lower, the it is more of a woofer and not a FR driver.

Ok
You can try simulation with high and low Qms with the same Qts and check out the result. Agreed it's a simulation but still you get some idea.

My drivers probably getting delivered by mid next week. After that breakin, measure, simulate, design and built my first ever OB speakers. Am excited about it.
Thanks to FM Yogibear and Sumanta to convince me for OB.

Are you planning on having a big woofer to take care of the bass in the planned OB?

What is the size of the Soviet driver?

Are you planning on having a big woofer to take care of the bass in the planned OB?

What is the size of the Soviet driver?
My FR driver is 8" size, I have till now simulated over 7 woofers of 12", 15" and 18" including eminence, seas, Ahuja using Basta, but none of them have a better response on the low end compared to this Soviet era driver based on published data.

This intrigued me a lot and I want to discover if it's really true and hence building one. I will be following a minimalist approach for this as I don't have much h building experience with OBs. Will be fully trusting the simulator as of now.

I do have a pair of Bolton 10" woofers with me, but their SPL is suite low.

Hari,
You need at least 12" high sensitive woofer to match your new drivers.
You can't get 'enough' bass from your new 8" FR drivers in OB.
There is a pair of altec 416 are available for sale from Mr. Malvai. You can go for them.
Regards.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back