nuforce dda 100 vs Wadia 151 Powerdac mini

kGr99

I know there is a lot of discussion going on regarding the digital amplifiers. I have decided to take the plunge and would love to experiment with one of the digital amps. Any help would be great in deciding.

My current line:
SB Touch, Norge 2060, Wharfedale Diamond 9.2.

Future line up:
SB Touch, Digital Amp (??), Wharfedale Diamond 9.2.

I have a budget of USD 500 + or - . I may even change my speakers to something more efficient if I do not like the performance of the digital amp with the 9.2.

Listening room - 10 feet by 8 feet
Listening distance - 6 to 7 feet

Go for Wadia. It was a USD 1300 machine and it was great even at that price. Now it's available at a huge discount and I see no reason why someone should still thing whether it's worth going in for not.

If you concern is lower wattage; here is the crux. Don't underestimate the number. Many 25-30-50 watt machines are capable of making speakers spin. More important is how the amplifier controls the speakers and not how many watts it produces.

Don't expect these amps to grip the speakers like you would with a traditional 50 watt amplifier costing USD 500, but considering that it is a one-box solution with enough current to drive speakers with medium difficulty level, it's a lot. Unless you end up with a difficult to drive speakers power wouldn't be your concern with any of the two.

Sound quality wise, both are good, with the Wadia having a slight edge.

More important is how the amplifier controls the speakers and not how many watts it produces.

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by control? Would this be the differentiating factor between Wadia and Nuforce?

I did read a lot about the lack of power in these amps, but I am not too concerned as I mostly listen at low volumes.

Also, I did some basic math which gives me a SPL of 100 dB at my listening position that too at half the rated power of the amplifier. So as per pure numbers, wattage isn't an issue.

^^^

imho, when people still keep being confused about stonker deals like the Wadia 151 @ $500, especially in compario to stuff like Nuforce, they end up not getting either....

dude... just go for the Wadia. Never look back.

Well, i am aware of the reputation Wadia carries around but I am totally ignorant on the technical front beyond basic number crunching. Hence, I am requesting for inputs.

Adding to my confusion, I am not a believer in "Deals". My theory goes like this - "If i get something for half the price the manufacturer originally intended to sell, may not necessarily mean I am getting the best product in the current market".

I am ready to be officially :eek:

PS: Purchase will be made EOD tomorrow. Wadia 151 is the front runner as of now. :cool:

Can you please elaborate on what you meant by control? Would this be the differentiating factor between Wadia and Nuforce

Control of an amp refers to the quality of experience, ease with which the amp translates the low level signals into a speaker level signal.

I don't think control wise they will be as different as they would be with quality of conversion. Wadia has proprietary algorithms that are long known in the industry. It's those proprietary stuff that has been a big reason why Wadia products are considered gold standard.

Adding to my confusion, I am not a believer in "Deals". My theory goes like this - "If i get something for half the price the manufacturer originally intended to sell, may not necessarily mean I am getting the best product in the current market".

You will be hard pressed to find something better without paying twice as much. Look around and see what fits in your budget. Bring the alternates here. We are all here to help you with your choices.

Ok guys, Wadia 151 it is then. My friend will be carrying it for me.

One final query, why is it that the silver version is $499 and the black $799? I could not find any difference in specifications. So would just the paint and finish cost $300 difference? :D

Ok guys, Wadia 151 it is then. My friend will be carrying it for me.

One final query, why is it that the silver version is $499 and the black $799? I could not find any difference in specifications. So would just the paint and finish cost $300 difference? :D

It could simply be that people want black and they bought blacks and all the silvers are sitting so they're trying to clear stocks so put a deal on it.

Perfect example of why you need to start believing in deals :)

I had the same query but I guess silver is probably not very fast moving and could have a scratch or two since they seem to be demo products....

Anyways, it should be a super product and I am eagerly waiting to hear your feedback once you attach them to your Wharfdales...

Perfect example of why you need to start believing in deals :)

Once i hit a jackpot like you on speakers, I guess i will convert :p

I am excited as well about this, but I will get my hands on the amp only in mid March as I am traveling in the first two weeks.

The wadia is on its way to my home :yahoo: Thank you all for sharing.

I do hear what you guys are saying about the speakers, but unfortunately my pocket can't :lol: So, I will stick to the wharfs for a while until I have enough funds for the next big step.

look out for a decdent deal on used gear on the forum.. you may get lucky..

congratulations !!

Pics are in order once you have set things up :))

mpw

:eek:

You would only be hearing what Wharfs are capable, Panditji. There is nothing to hear impression. Wadia will produce tons more of everything than the Wharf is capable of portraying.

You have a point but there will certainly be a huge difference that the Wadia should make over the current amplifier and that will give us an idea as to what the Wadia is capable of....

I am hoping to hear it myself sometime soon as and when someone from Delhi takes a plunge....

panditji, I am moving to Noida in the second week of march. In fact, that is when even I will listen to the Wadia for the first time. So, you can be assured of a live experience by mid march in case no one in Delhi buys one before that.

panditji, I am moving to Noida in the second week of march. In fact, that is when even I will listen to the Wadia for the first time. So, you can be assured of a live experience by mid march in case no one in Delhi buys one before that.

Awesome, I will look forward to it my friend....do let us know once you settle down....

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back