nuforce dda 100 vs Wadia 151 Powerdac mini

Congrats kGr99, that looks like a really good deal.
Just for my knowledge Wadia is 50 wpc @ 8 ohms but whatever i have read online and on this thread seems to suggest it has proprietary algorithm and good dynamic power rating which enables it drive power hungry speakers. Am i right?

Will it be able to do justice to a floorstander like SF Venere-88db or Focal Chorus 800-90db speakers put in a
large area like 400 sq ft?

Also is it possible to pair a subwoofer with it, I dont see a pre-out but in case there is another way?

I am a bit low on technical insight so if someone can shed some light, it will be good to learn.

Thanks

Arhant, I'd suggest JBL 4312 or Lyrita Audio Horn Grande for your kind of space and if you want to use it with Wadia. Both the above speakers will do justice both to your space and the Wadia.

Thanks!
I was just trying to understand if the wadia would work with large floor standers in a decent size room.
So basically higher sensitivity speakers are what is needed.

The biggest advantage with the Wadia is that with this machine you can pack your entire music system (relatively high end) in your back pack (except your speakers).

So, just wait for the first Wadia to arrive. Borrow it and take it home and play. You will know what I mean.

As of now I wouldn't advise anyone to put it behind speakers such as Focal Chorus FS. They would be happier with a bit more power. But you never know, they might just be happy with what Wadia gives. You never know until you have tried.

The power of this unit seems to be a concern on paper but all of the reviews I have read says otherwise. If you have a room size of 300 sqft or below, even speakers with 83dB sensitivity seems to do well. For bigger rooms, everyone suggests speakers with sensitivity above 95dB.

If you can get hold of speakers in the range of 99dB or above, this unit seems to be a killer one. In fact, one person claims he replaced the Levinson pre/power amp with the Wadia 151 and his room size was 800 sqft. He was running Westlake HR-1VF.

Arhant, I'd suggest JBL 4312 or Lyrita Audio Horn Grande for your kind of space and if you want to use it with Wadia. Both the above speakers will do justice both to your space and the Wadia.

Based on what ive read of the wadia's sound signature, those two would indeed be a good match up!

Thanks.

I was just trying to understand what the wadia is capable of. I would definitely like to listen to it once.
But at the price the 151 sure looks like a great deal.

How can one connect a subwoofer and speakers with the Wadia 151? is it possible or is it strictly a 2.0 amp?

If it doesnt have a sub out, all you need to do is to put a pair of RCA splitters on the line in jacks and take the signal to your powered sub.

If it doesnt have a sub out, all you need to do is to put a pair of RCA splitters on the line in jacks and take the signal to your powered sub.

Which line in?

WADIA.151BLK_REAR.jpg

I have been reading on other forums to find out what people have been doing to add a subwoofer to the wadia.

It seems usually people add a Rel subwoofer and use its high level input.
But its not added in series, instead Speakers and Sub both are connected to the speaker outputs of the Wadia
and the lower cut off is selected on the REL.

Rel sends a different cable for this and it is something suggested and shown in Rel manuals as well according
to the people who use this setup.

I dont understand how it really works but this is all i found.

The power of this unit seems to be a concern on paper but all of the reviews I have read says otherwise. If you have a room size of 300 sqft or below, even speakers with 83dB sensitivity seems to do well. For bigger rooms, everyone suggests speakers with sensitivity above 95dB.

If you can get hold of speakers in the range of 99dB or above, this unit seems to be a killer one. In fact, one person claims he replaced the Levinson pre/power amp with the Wadia 151 and his room size was 800 sqft. He was running Westlake HR-1VF.

From what little I have seen, impedance swings and phase swings or lack of it, is the key. Some if not many speakers dip to 3 ohms in certain frequencies and that plays havoc on the amp. Low sensitivity speakers that have a flat impedance curve will be much gentler on an amp than the other way around.

Having said that, I haven't heard the amp so can't comment on what will or won't work. Just sharing some thoughts based on tripath pairings which is pretty low power.

+1 ^^
Even I have not yet come accross any other way to connect a sub except the one mentioned above.

If there is a sub which accepts digital in, we can then split the input signal and use one to wadia and other to the sub? I am not into subs so just a theory :D
Or have another dac before the sub
Or just hang me :cool:

Infact there is no headphone out either. I am still looking for a solution on that end too for ocasional listening.

hmm - the deal breaker for me is lack of line out, as I would like to use the dac for my headphone amp as well. If this had a headphone out, then it would have been great.

A line in would also have been a great thing.

The deal was on musicdirect.com but is now 799. -> WADIA 151 POWERDAC MINI at Music Direct

Also, I made the payment about 2 months back for the product, but never received it. I took a refund finally.

What an anticlimax. I was really looking forward to your review :eek:

hmm - the deal breaker for me is lack of line out, as I would like to use the dac for my headphone amp as well. If this had a headphone out, then it would have been great.

A line in would also have been a great thing.

Bro, why not try Nuforce Icon HDP? The DAC is great and the headphone section is amazing.

Sad to know. $499 would have been a steal, $799 not so much.

Have you bought anything else then?

If not, why dont you audition the Nuforce DDA-100.
It was one of your original options and who ever has heard it recently has only good things to say about it.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back