Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

Hi,
Netflix atmos isn't available in 2017 version. For netflix atmos, you can buy Firestick 1080p 3rd gen 2021 version. But, the display will be capped to full hd, i.e. no 4k.
Yes, for rest; old shield is perfect.

I have a 2017 model Nvidia Shield . Is Netflix Atmos now available in that model . my new AVR is coming next week ? Will I have to upgrade to 2019 model ?

How about a firestick for that purpose only ?
Rest everything is doable in old shield also right .
use firetv stick for atmos only as not worth upgrade as it is a very slight bump in decoding and same specs

Amazon prime is not showing atmos content in 2019 shield.
How to check? Pls share the movies with atmos content and do we get any icons in prime?

I don’t have Netflix to check.Was able to play atmos files through external hdd

Amazon prime is not showing atmos content in 2019 shield.
How to check? Pls share the movies with atmos content and do we get any icons in prime?

I don’t have Netflix to check.Was able to play atmos files through external hdd
Prime has Shershah, Tomorrow's war, Gulabo Sitabo (to name a few) in atmos. The audio display on the AVR should show Atmos.

I usually hook my laptop to the AVR and playback netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime as I dont have a smart TV. Not found a good one yet! I do enjoy excellent surround 5.1 and 7.1 from Netflix but not from Amazon Prime.

Would purchasing a Firestick (3rd Gen) help? I mean hooking it to one of the many AVR HDMI inputs I have and would it really playback 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos etc?

Has someone tried this already and if yes, when you press the info button on the remote does it show the Input Signal details as Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby Atmos / Dolby Surround / Dolby True HD?

Appreciate any pointers, thanks!

GUI Info XT32 Mz_RQIFILfmjrehpu.png

I usually hook my laptop to the AVR and playback netflix, Youtube and Amazon Prime as I dont have a smart TV. Not found a good one yet! I do enjoy excellent surround 5.1 and 7.1 from Netflix but not from Amazon Prime.

Would purchasing a Firestick (3rd Gen) help? I mean hooking it to one of the many AVR HDMI inputs I have and would it really playback 5.1 or 7.1 or Atmos etc?

Has someone tried this already and if yes, when you press the info button on the remote does it show the Input Signal details as Dolby Digital / Dolby Digital + / Dolby Atmos / Dolby Surround / Dolby True HD?

Appreciate any pointers, thanks!

View attachment 62941
Firestick 4K and the 2021 version definitely outputs Atmos for the Atmos titles on Prime.
Pressing info button shows "Dolby Atmos" to me on my Marantz. Please try titles like Gulabo Sitabo and Shershah

I have LG CX n Samsung QN90A both 55 inches TV plus I also home demoed Sony X90J , the reason i mentioned the above is that lots of content I consume are still 1080 FHD n all these 3 TVs despite claiming multi neural AI don't seem to upscale FHD/ HD as well as I would like. I do understand that Quad core processors used in Televisions can only do so much.

What I would like to know is whether Apple TV 4k or Nvidia shield Pro will offer better/ visible upscaling or image processing than native TV itself , if not then it will save me the expanse of buying one as both of them are more bexpensive compared to my Fire stick.

I know this is a Nvidia owners thread but any inputs regarding Apple TV is more than welcome.

I have LG CX n Samsung QN90A both 55 inches TV plus I also home demoed Sony X90J , the reason i mentioned the above is that lots of content I consume are still 1080 FHD n all these 3 TVs despite claiming multi neural AI don't seem to upscale FHD/ HD as well as I would like. I do understand that Quad core processors used in Televisions can only do so much.

What I would like to know is whether Apple TV 4k or Nvidia shield Pro will offer better/ visible upscaling or image processing than native TV itself , if not then it will save me the expanse of buying one as both of them are more bexpensive compared to my Fire stick.

I know this is a Nvidia owners thread but any inputs regarding Apple TV is more than welcome.
yes it will greatly improve and upscales but some may like it some dont its more over eh a personal choice.

yes it will greatly improve and upscales but some may like it some dont its more over eh a personal choice.
Can all the India Centric Apps be downloaded without the help of VPN and does the AI upscaling feature work on all of them , I was told by someone that AI feature only works on YouTube and USB ports and not others. Could you or others please clarify.

Can all the India Centric Apps be downloaded without the help of VPN and does the AI upscaling feature work on all of them , I was told by someone that AI feature only works on YouTube and USB ports and not others. Could you or others please clarify.
almost all major Indian Apps are available without vpn or sideloading, also AI upscaling works with all the apps and not limited to any 1.

almost all major Indian Apps are available without vpn or sideloading, also AI upscaling works with all the apps and not limited to any 1.
Thanks a lot , I am really confused between Apple TV 4k n Nvidia Shield Pro , Apple is locally available n almost 6K cheaper n is supposed to perform similar upscaling/ image processing. However I have never owned any Apple device previously n i've heard it's touchpad remote is rather difficult to master.

Can someone suggest me a good picture viewer / Gallery app to view pictures from NAS for Nvidia Shield 2019 other than Kodi please?

Kodi crashes if there are few hundred pics in one folder.

Last edited:
I am enjoying my Shield with Kodi, however there are couple of operational issues I am facing:
1. If a movie is stopped and restarted later from that point, image takes 10 sec to show up (sound starts instantly), so have to rewind to see what's missing.
2. If a movie is paused for a long time the player does not replay when it goes into screen saver mode.
Other than these 2 issues, PQ is superb especially 4k HDR. A little bit of initial set up is required (which is really non intuitive), but after that I cannot fault the PQ or the sound.
Cheers,
Sid

I am enjoying my Shield with Kodi, however there are couple of operational issues I am facing:
1. If a movie is stopped and restarted later from that point, image takes 10 sec to show up (sound starts instantly), so have to rewind to see what's missing.
2. If a movie is paused for a long time the player does not replay when it goes into screen saver mode.
Other than these 2 issues, PQ is superb especially 4k HDR. A little bit of initial set up is required (which is really non intuitive), but after that I cannot fault the PQ or the sound.
Cheers,
Sid
I use plex with nvidia shied 2017, no such issues, have you tried it?

I use plex with nvidia shied 2017, no such issues, have you tried it?
I tried plex, but couldn't figure it out, since I am not too computer savvy. Is it as straight forward as installing the app, and then connecting external drive and reading off it via a menu - as in Kodi?
Cheers,
Sid

i've tried kodi before plex and plex was plug and play, very simple to setup and operate, i am no expert, used google and @vinothmanick 's help in settting it up, but it is very very simple
Do we need a computer acting as plex server in the WiFi network?

I connect HDD to 2019 shield through SMB

In my case all data is on my pc in another room and shield is connected to the same router as my pc (physically connected RJ45 ) Plex client is on shield and Plex server on my pc
I think even a nas can work as Plex server

Not sure how SMB works

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back