Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

How to get past the *Hold for Pairing* screen without pairing the remote after factory resetting Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. I had to reset the device since remote and wifi connection failed to connect suddenly, but now I'm not able to get past this page.
I've done the following so far-
1. resetting remote (heard beep noise) - Fail
2. tried home & back combination - Fail
3. removed power cable and kept shield idle for a while and reconnected - Fail

I own a BT keyboard, but once I insert the dongle, *Hold for Pairing* screen disappears and all I see is a plain black screen.

I thought USB keyboard and came to a friend's place now, turns out BT or USB both results same plain black screen.

Need help with this issue.

Note: I have a last idea, may be members from Chennai can help. I'll bring my Shield Pro to you and we can check if I can get past the *Hold To Pair* page using your Shield remote. This was the only pending idea to try as far I am aware of

Last edited:
How to get past the *Hold for Pairing* screen without pairing the remote after factory resetting Nvidia Shield Pro 2019. I had to reset the device since remote and wifi connection failed to connect suddenly, but now I'm not able to get past this page.

I own a BT keyboard, but once I insert the dongle, *Hold for Pairing* screen disappears and all I see is a plain black screen.

I thought USB keyboard and came to a friend's place now, turns out BT or USB both results same plain black screen.

Note: I have a last idea, may be members from Chennai can help. I'll bring my Shield Pro to you and we can check if I can get past the *Hold To Pair* page using your Shield remote. This was the only pending idea to try as far I am aware of

Not sure it will help but, I had old gen shield and only game controller, I too could not pair the controller nor a fire stick remote to it, connecting the game controller via cable worked instantly and allowed me to complete setup and add fire stick remote. See if you have any game remote in house.

Not sure it will help but, I had old gen shield and only game controller, I too could not pair the controller nor a fire stick remote to it, connecting the game controller via cable worked instantly and allowed me to complete setup and add fire stick remote. See if you have any game remote in house.
I tried using a windows gamepad and a PS4 one as well. Problem is whatever device I connect via USB, the *Hold to Pair* page disappears and it is only the plain black screen

Try removing the power plug and keep it turned off for a minute or two and then turn it on and try the process.

If the shield is already connected to wifi then you could try their Shield remote app and then go to Settings -- Remotes and accessories -- add accessory and try pairing remote this way?

Edit: Looks like you have already tried turning it off and turning it on already.

Bluetooth and Mac address, unavailable. Need help please.

TLDR version only:

Flashed the first most recovery image 8.1.0 as the final solution and it worked. No *Hold for Pairing* page, choose Language is the first page and it recognised my keyboard for input. Completed the initial setup, however at the final page it upgraded my Shield to 9.1.0. Anyway I was able to recover my shield now. But the wifi and remote disconnect issue still remains and I finally found the error, both Mac and Bluetooth address are unavailable - this was the first issue before I flashed my Shield and I didn't notice this back then. Help needed.
Note:
- Since Bluetooth address is unavailable, my remote didn't pair during factory reset and unlike recovery image 8.1.0 Nvidia didn't think twice and kept *Hold for Pairing* as first page for the latest recovery image 9.0.0, means you need remote or controller to complete the setup (worst idea to implement). So anyone with such issues, please refrain from factory reset and use laptop and flash the oldest recovery image.
- USB A male to USB C didn't work for me during flash process. It didn't recognise my Shield, but I believe issue isn't with the cable as I tried every cable I had (Poco F1's, Mi 11X's, and PS5's). Finally, purchased USB A male to USB A male cable and ot worked.
- I referred this link for flashing
- I am yet to find a proper support personnel from Nvidia who's helpful in getting my issues fixed.

Any changes with plex? I am not able to set up shield as my plex server

Edit: Never mind. I re-installed plex and it’s working

Last edited:
Kodi v19.3 was hanging frequently. I downloaded 19.4 (which is not available on google play store) and it seems to be working smoother and faster now. Though I noticed that if I pause a movie for a long time - 5 minutes or more - it still hangs when I try to replay. Has anyone experienced this on their shield pro? and any solution to this issue? I am running latest android (11 I think on the shield).
Cheers,
Sid

Kodi v19.3 was hanging frequently. I downloaded 19.4 (which is not available on google play store) and it seems to be working smoother and faster now. Though I noticed that if I pause a movie for a long time - 5 minutes or more - it still hangs when I try to replay. Has anyone experienced this on their shield pro? and any solution to this issue? I am running latest android (11 I think on the shield).
Cheers,
Sid
version 19.3 is running on my shield but it was not updating new movies at all, i tried different ways to update the movies which were on my HTPC but nothing worked, so watched the movie on plex, but kodi itself wasn't hanging and it was smooth play even when paused for a longish time.
will try reinstalling kodi (19.4) and try again later

- @sidvee sorry, i don't have a solution for your problem but just some additional info of kodi on shield

why you use PLEX 🤪

Cheers,
Sid
Kodi is very buggy nowadays. Keeps hanging while I am forwarding or rewinding. Using kodi for just real debrid and moved to plex for watching movies

Thanks, not sure how to use plex. I use kodi for playback of files on my external hdd connected to the shield. Can I use plex in the similar manner?
Cheers,
Sid

Thanks, not sure how to use plex. I use kodi for playback of files on my external hdd connected to the shield. Can I use plex in the similar manner?
Cheers,
Sid
Yes you can. It won’t be fast as kodi but very stable.You need to set ur shield as a plex server and configure your libraries. Just search on u tube and you will find many set up guide. Initial set up is a hassle and may take time but plex will give u a smooth and stable experience over kodi

One thing I have noticed is that when one uses external non powered HDD, lot of issues creep up. I had similar audio issues with DSD files on non powered HDD with Jriver MC. Once I switched to a external powered HDD all issues disappeared. Will try the same with KODI and report back, as I noticed most of the pause/playback issues were with file sizes of 20GB plus. Having no issues with 2-3 GB files. I suspect large file size is causing many of these issues.
Cheers,
Sid

One thing I have noticed is that when one uses external non powered HDD, lot of issues creep up. I had similar audio issues with DSD files on non powered HDD with Jriver MC. Once I switched to a external powered HDD all issues disappeared. Will try the same with KODI and report back, as I noticed most of the pause/playback issues were with file sizes of 20GB plus. Having no issues with 2-3 GB files. I suspect large file size is causing many of these issues.
Cheers,
Sid
If it is a HD issue you should have the same issues with plex as well. I would suggest you give plex a shot before investing on a powered HD.

Cheers,
Sid
I have the same issues, buffering issue on Kodi, Plex, VLC, A Player. Please let me know if powered HDD fixes the issue

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back