Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

Thanks for confirming. I checked with a fm who has 2021 Apple TV and it supports 5.1 in pcm and not dolby. I checked earc using the app in my LG c9 tv and it supports 5.1 dolby audio. Not only aha but zee5 is also supporting 5.1 through earc. So going to use tv apps instead of shield.
Yeah.. Apple TV supports 5.1 in PCM only(at least when the audio change format is off and atmos is auto) . Other than Aha app, most of the apps supporting 5.1 pcm.
Complained to Aha but no exact timeline is given.

Yeah.. Apple TV supports 5.1 in PCM only(at least when the audio change format is off and atmos is auto) . Other than Aha app, most of the apps supporting 5.1 pcm.
Complained to Aha but no exact timeline is given.
Try connecting apple tv 4k to television . It will work 5.1 with dd or dolby surround

Thanks for confirming. I checked with a fm who has 2021 Apple TV and it supports 5.1 in pcm and not dolby. I checked earc using the app in my LG c9 tv and it supports 5.1 dolby audio. Not only aha but zee5 is also supporting 5.1 through earc. So going to use tv apps instead of shield.
Why not try Firestick 4k max? It supports all the ott in dolby audio.

Why not try Firestick 4k max? It supports all the ott in dolby audio.
I have tried firestick and sold it long time back. It sounds thin and compressed. I will never recommend it for avr set up. For now I’ll use tv app and earc for apps that shield doesn’t support 5.1. Hopefully in one or two years we have a player that does both ott and local playback well

Bluetooth and Mac address, unavailable. Need help please.

TLDR version only:

Flashed the first most recovery image 8.1.0 as the final solution and it worked. No *Hold for Pairing* page, choose Language is the first page and it recognised my keyboard for input. Completed the initial setup, however at the final page it upgraded my Shield to 9.1.0. Anyway I was able to recover my shield now. But the wifi and remote disconnect issue still remains and I finally found the error, both Mac and Bluetooth address are unavailable - this was the first issue before I flashed my Shield and I didn't notice this back then. Help needed.
Note:
- Since Bluetooth address is unavailable, my remote didn't pair during factory reset and unlike recovery image 8.1.0 Nvidia didn't think twice and kept *Hold for Pairing* as first page for the latest recovery image 9.0.0, means you need remote or controller to complete the setup (worst idea to implement). So anyone with such issues, please refrain from factory reset and use laptop and flash the oldest recovery image.
- USB A male to USB C didn't work for me during flash process. It didn't recognise my Shield, but I believe issue isn't with the cable as I tried every cable I had (Poco F1's, Mi 11X's, and PS5's). Finally, purchased USB A male to USB A male cable and ot worked.
- I referred this link for flashing
- I am yet to find a proper support personnel from Nvidia who's helpful in getting my issues fixed.

Have you been able to solve your problem??? I have exactly the same problem, bluetooth and wifi addresses are unavailable.

I have ordered a zidoo z9x, there is a lot of advise that for locally stored files this is a better option, and also the picture quality etc. are better, so I am curious.
Cheers,
Sid
Hi any update? Any improvements with audio performance? I was forced to use the tv app and earc since shield did not support 5.1 in aha app. Noticed something different so tested all ott and the soundstage was thin with shield. The separations also sounded much better with heights and surround more engaged. Want to know if you noticed similar for blu ray contents as well with shield against zidoo

Have you been able to solve your problem??? I have exactly the same problem, bluetooth and wifi addresses are unavailable.
No. The only way is to flash old recovery image to complete setup and then use lan to connect and use mobile remote for control.

Else, you can buy a remote with BT connector and using it.

Nvidia support is even worse in this regard, I don't think any hardware going kaput in such a short time. But some software malfunction for which they can provide a personalized hotfix to recover the lost BT & Wifi addresses. But they won't accept to that at any cost. So you have no other go. Unless you know how to root and recover those values on your own which I didn't want to risk, hence didn't try

Last edited:
Hi any update? Any improvements with audio performance? I was forced to use the tv app and earc since shield did not support 5.1 in aha app. Noticed something different so tested all ott and the soundstage was thin with shield. The separations also sounded much better with heights and surround more engaged. Want to know if you noticed similar for blu ray contents as well with shield against zidoo
Haven't got around to testing yet, as am traveling a bit. Actually haven't even hooked up the unit yet, just lying in box. Will report back after I have had time to play with it. Will be traveling again on and off till Jan 2nd week.
Now that you mention it, when I switched to HTPC with Jriver Mc26 running Madvr red october in high performance mode, I too felt the surrounds more engaged (I use only 5.2) and subwoofers were hitting harder, digging deeper.
Cheers,
Sid

Last edited:
Ok. Also zee5 is not supporting 5.1. Shield has become a very bad device for ott with recent updates. Only benefit is kodi and local play back.
Nope it isn't. It's still a wonderful device.

I have both 2019 Sheild TV Pro and ATV 2022. I switch between both.

Example take a look at the prime video snap shots from Jack Ryan.

Apple TV 2022 Below:
IMG-20221222-WA0005.jpg

Shield TV Below:
IMG-20221222-WA0006.jpg
This is being played on X90J with same calibration settings and same brightness. Ignore the skin tone colour tint which my S22U camera is adding. To my naked eye, skin tone are perfect.

Prime Video, Sony LIV, YouTube, Shield dominates.

Again recently I saw Fifa world Cup live on Jio Cinema and Apple TV dominates.

Netflix, Hotstar, Zee5 ATV dominates. DV and HDR is fantastic with ATV where as shield sucks.

Infuse vs Kodi for Native HDD content. Hands down Shield dominates.

In Audio, Shield dominates in almost all the apps, even more so when played True HD content.

Firestick can come no where close to shield or apple TV.

I dont have comparison pics and videos for it. But you can take my word for it. I tested it extensively. This is a FALD TV, in an OLED TV it might be different again. But I suggest having both shield and apple tv.

Nope it isn't. It's still a wonderful device.

I have both 2019 Sheild TV Pro and ATV 2022. I switch between both.

Example take a look at the prime video snap shots from Jack Ryan.

Apple TV 2022 Below:
View attachment 74342

Shield TV Below:
View attachment 74343
This is being played on X90J with same calibration settings and same brightness. Ignore the skin tone colour tint which my S22U camera is adding. To my naked eye, skin tone are perfect.

Prime Video, Sony LIV, YouTube, Shield dominates.

Again recently I saw Fifa world Cup live on Jio Cinema and Apple TV dominates.

Netflix, Hotstar, Zee5 ATV dominates. DV and HDR is fantastic with ATV where as shield sucks.

Infuse vs Kodi for Native HDD content. Hands down Shield dominates.

In Audio, Shield dominates in almost all the apps, even more so when played True HD content.

Firestick can come no where close to shield or apple TV.

I dont have comparison pics and videos for it. But you can take my word for it. I tested it extensively. This is a FALD TV, in an OLED TV it might be different again. But I suggest having both shield and apple tv.
I have also done a lot of AB tests. Recently I had the opportunity to bring an Apple TV home. I find the soundstage to be thin for OTT on shield. Also I tested ott using my c9 apps and earc.Surrounds and height effects feel weak in shield. Still I am sticking with shield for the value it offers and won’t say it’s a bad device.

I have also done a lot of AB tests. Recently I had the opportunity to bring an Apple TV home. I find the soundstage to be thin for OTT on shield. Also I tested ott using my c9 apps and earc.Surrounds and height effects feel weak in shield. Still I am sticking with shield for the value it offers and won’t say it’s a bad device.
For me this is the opposite experience, I connected my shield with Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 to the TV even though shield doesn't have HDMI 2.1 support. And the audio is transferred to Samsung Q950A via earc. I even streamed many Bluray True HD movies via my HDD connected to the router. Be it streaming speed or sound quality or the video quality. Shield is on the Top. For me native Android apps experience is the worst.

TV connected : 65X90J
Audio: Samsung Q950A
Cables: Zeskit Maya 2.1 and Dhivis
Shield connected to HDMI 1 (HDMI 2.0)
Apple TV connected to HDMI 4 (HDMI 2.1)

Shield Display setting set to Rec.709. 4k 12 bit 60Hz again shifts based on HDR content to rec.2020. Again I personally prefer rec.709 on shield.

Apple TV Display settings: 4K SDR, Match content and dynamic Frame refresh Rate.

Audio:
Native Apps > Firestick 4K > Apple TV > Shield.

Video: (Netflix, Hotstar, Zee5, Live Sports)
Native Apps > Firestick 4K > Shield > Apple TV.

Apple TV is Dolby Vision and HDR King.

Local Content: (Be it Video or Audio Quality or even DV, "note infuse can't play DV, you will see pinks and greens so Apple doesn't win here at all.")

This is my exact experience.

Last edited:
For me this is the opposite experience, I connected my shield with Zeskit Maya HDMI 2.1 to the TV even though shield doesn't have HDMI 2.1 support. And the audio is transferred to Samsung Q950A via earc. I even streamed many Bluray True HD movies via my HDD connected to the router. Be it streaming speed or sound quality or the video quality. Shield is on the Top. For me native Android apps experience is the worst.

Shield Display setting set to Rec.709. 4k 12 bit 60Hz again shifts based on HDR content to rec.2020. Again I personally prefer rec.709 on shield.

Apple TV Display settings: 4K SDR, Match content and dynamic Frame refresh Rate.

Audio:

Local Content: (Be it Video or Audio Quality or even DV, "note infuse can't play DV, you will pinks and greens so Apple doesn't win here at all.")

Our set ups are totally different.

Hi,

I also did AB tests between ATV4K, Shield 2017, Google Chromecast with 4K and FS 4K max and gave my reviews around some month back. In my setup, for OTT content audio wise; my ranking is as given below:

ATV>FS>Shield & Chromecast

FS is higher in rank audio wise because Shield had below issues:
1) No atmos in Hotstar
2) Aha & Zee5 didn't play in dolby audio
3) Netflix didn't play in Atmos

For local playback; Shield is the only device.

So, now for OTT; I use FS & for local playback; I use Shield.
I guess you have done test between ATV & Shield 2019 version. Therefore, the rankings will differ.

Audio:

Local Content: (Be it Video or Audio Quality or even DV, "note infuse can't play DV, you will see pinks and greens so Apple doesn't win here at all.")

Small correction: BluRay True HD Dolby Audio 7.1 movies*

Native Apps means my X90J's Android TV that runs on a Mediatek Processor.

2019 Shield TV Pro and 2022 Apple TV 128GB.

Hi,

I also did AB tests between ATV4K, Shield 2017, Google Chromecast with 4K and FS 4K max and gave my reviews around some month back. In my setup, for OTT content audio wise; my ranking is as given below:

ATV>FS>Shield & Chromecast

FS is higher in rank audio wise because Shield had below issues:
1) No atmos in Hotstar
2) Aha & Zee5 didn't play in dolby audio
3) Netflix didn't play in Atmos

For local playback; Shield is the only device.

So, now for OTT; I use FS & for local playback; I use Shield.
I guess you have done test between ATV & Shield 2019 version. Therefore, the rankings will differ.
The 2019 version supports atmos in Netflix. I used the 2017 as well and don’t remember if it supports atmos or not. For sure it didn’t support DV but I think it should support atmos or I am not sure. I felt the audio was thin in OTT and separations felt weak especially with surrounds and height effects on the shield. Video no complaints as shield is excellent with DV, HDR and upscaling. Overall one cannot complaint with what it offers for its price. Let’s wait for sidvee observations against zidoo9x. If he feels it’s as good or better then shield for local play back I’ll go for it and use tv apps for ott.

Last edited:
I am quite impressed with the zidoo player. For locally stored files PQ wise it is definitely superior to the nvidia shield. As far as audio performance goes, it is similar or slightly better than my HTPC which is say that it is much better than Shield as well. Overall if you want a device strictly for playback of 4k hdr/dv files, I think this is the most elegant solution.
Cheers,
Sid

I am quite impressed with the zidoo player. For locally stored files PQ wise it is definitely superior to the nvidia shield. As far as audio performance goes, it is similar or slightly better than my HTPC which is say that it is much better than Shield as well. Overall if you want a device strictly for playback of 4k hdr/dv files, I think this is the most elegant solution.
Cheers,
Sid
Thanks for the feedback Sid. I am more focused on audio. Please use it for some time and give detailed review on the differences with audio performance vs the shield.

Hello members,
I am facing a problem since last few days. I had previously Kodi v19 on Shield TV (2017) version which got automatically updated to version 20. But, after update; its not detecting movie files from my external hard disks. Previously, all the movies from the HDD used to show up.
Please suggest the solution.

Hello members,
I am facing a problem since last few days. I had previously Kodi v19 on Shield TV (2017) version which got automatically updated to version 20. But, after update; its not detecting movie files from my external hard disks. Previously, all the movies from the HDD used to show up.
Please suggest the solution.
You will need to go to settings icon on top right corner of the home page in shield, Select Kodi under recently used apps->Permissions->Files and Media-> Select Allow all the time.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back