Nvidia Shield Tv- Owners Thread!!

I recently got the pro and setting up plex is a pain since i already had it set up in my previous shield device. First in my plex account i deleted the device. Later i tried to add the path to movies which is in my wd external drive. So in my pc if i select the the new shield pro server i was not able to add the path to movies as the movie folder was not visible. So i tried removing the shield server and adding it again. But now the shield server itself is not visible both in my pc and shield pro but it is enabled

Last edited:
No one has any suggestions?
Personally, i have never liked Plex implementation on shield. It never works 100% for me. Even with everything added, sometimes still, it wouldn't find my nas drive.

Anyway, coming to your issue, try signing off from your Plex in shield and restart all devices.

You can also try to uninstall Plex updates on shield and then try logging in. When you login again in shield, you must get the option to enable Plex media server, otherwise laptop won't detect new server.

Personally, i have never liked Plex implementation on shield. It never works 100% for me. Even with everything added, sometimes still, it wouldn't find my nas drive.

Anyway, coming to your issue, try signing off from your Plex in shield and restart all devices.

You can also try to uninstall Plex updates on shield and then try logging in. When you login again in shield, you must get the option to enable Plex media server, otherwise laptop won't detect new server.
I did all the things mentioned.I enabled the shield server when I login.But both in PC and shield the server isn’t available

I did all the things mentioned.I enabled the shield server when I login.But both in PC and shield the server isn’t available
I can understand your situation....it has happened to me also and that's why, i dont use Plex as my media client. You can keep trying logging out and in on your laptop and hope it finds it.

The most extreme step would be to reset your shield entirely in its default state and then try everything again. Before doing this, do ensure that you have removed all your devices in your laptop (if any) and you are logged out of it.

For me Kodi just works flawlessly without any issues and is my first choice.

I tried setting up Plex, but felt it was shabby for my taste. Hence moved on with Kodi. I do have issues with Kodi on shield but those are liveable. I will try out on my shield pro tonight and let you know.

I have had my fare share of troubles with plex and atleast in India I do not find it much of use. I am sure that some FMs must be using it without any issues but still in majority, people are not happy. you can try using stremio also if you get lucky in mounting your HDD. it's simple to use and without any fuss. Also, adding addons have never been simpler and can stream directly from different sources if you use VPN.

Not a plex fan after trying to set that up, i gave up and now Im just living with KODI. This does everything what i want.
I have had my fare share of troubles with plex and atleast in India I do not find it much of use. I am sure that some FMs must be using it without any issues but still in majority, people are not happy. you can try using stremio also if you get lucky in mounting your HDD. it's simple to use and without any fuss. Also, adding addons have never been simpler and can stream directly from different sources if you use VPN.
For me it was actually very easy and worked flawless. Even now i have set it up with no issues from PC. After switching to the shield pro it is having conflicts with the old shield set up and i am unable to host a shield plex server but from PC i am able to host. I am going to leave it as it isn't fast compared to kodi.

Has any one managed to play 4kHDR videos in you tube? From my TV app HDR is recognized but the same video when played from shield plays only in standard 4k

Guys, I just got my shield pro (not yet unpacked). So for I have been playing movies on ps3 using bluray disks(have 200+ disks). So my question is from where you downloading loseless(especially audio) movies to play on shield. Please pm me if it is inappropriate to divulge information on this forum.

Has any one managed to play 4kHDR videos in you tube? From my TV app HDR is recognized but the same video when played from shield plays only in standard 4k
Nvidia shield unfortunately dosent support hdr on YouTube.
It was a point of criticism earlier also, and sadly it was not taken care in new shield pro as well.

I noticed even on my Apple TV 4k or the Firestick 4k, none of them play HDR videos from youtube. Is this a support thing for all the players?

I noticed even on my Apple TV 4k or the Firestick 4k, none of them play HDR videos from youtube. Is this a support thing for all the players?
Hdr on YouTube requires vp9 codec support which nvidia shield and apple tv lacks. The vp9 codec is developed by Google.
Chromecast ultra is one external device which supports HDR on YouTube.

What is the right audio settings for output configuration in kodi? Have 3 options Fixed,Optimized and best match. After upgrading to the shield pro I always noticed a difference. Since I still have the old shield I checked it’s settings and it was at best match and the pro was at Fixed. I am not sure if this really makes a difference and it’s my mind that is playing the trick. The difference I noticed was the separations was much better with best match but less dynamic sound stage with the mid punch slightly missing from the speakers A85A467F-821A-4154-AD08-8373B06F5CD4.jpeg

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back