old amplifier customs duty

sidvee

hi friends i want to buy an amp form japan.they informed me that they will send it through EMS. my place is hyderabad. the value of itme is about 500us dollers.this is an old amp made in the year 1998.any idea how much i need to pay customs and whether i need to go to mumbai for customs clearance or hyderabad? any feed back is highly appriciated.btw hydearabd had customs office.
thank you
regards

kdlsrinu,
If you have the option - see if they can ship DHL or fedex, because these companies will clear customs (at-least DHL does) and deliver the product at your door. I have not had good experience with Indian Postal service and would not recommend it.
Cheers
Sid

hi, but shipping through fed ex or DHL is very expensice which is almost three times of the ems. so i want inputs for ems.

My last experience with India Postal Service - Cables shipped from US - I was living in Pune at that time - Got stuck in Mumbai customs for 1.5 months - I wrote 2 letters, a few phonecalls, then I got my cousin from Indian Postal Service involved and then after 2 months the cables were delivered. I paid Rs4000 in duty (cables were $400). The cables were all dusty as the box must have sat in some dingy warehouse and they opened the box but did not close it well.
Anyways after that experience I am never going to use postal service anymore. My case may have been isolated and YMMV but be careful.
Cheers
Sid

I have shipped in stuff thru EMS.
the post office will get it cleared by customs and give you the amount to be paid, the same way as Fedex..only issue is tracking is lost once it reaches india:mad: and that can be pretty infuriating especially as it will reach india in 3 days and then into your home only after 7.

In case the customs is not satisfied, they could issue you a letter to come over and show proof of purchase. but once you show the invoice it is ok.

But an experience like Sidvee had is very possible .. especially if there is no tracking numberr

Last edited:
Hi,

If the item is shipped through EMS, and if the documents are correct and the item is not undervalued and not a banned item, the item will reach your nearest post office and you will be contact by the nearest post office. Upon paying the duty in your nearest post office, you can collect the item from them.

If there is any discrepancy, or if the item is stuck at customs for the reasons stated above, you will be intimated through phone if a number is provided and you will be sent a memo/notice from customs authorities asking you to appear in person and provide explanation on source and purpose of the item and pay the necessary taxes and penalties if any.

I hope it clarifies your query! For safe shipping, contact some freight forwarding companies who can take care all the trouble for you for reasonable charges.

Cheers!

Last edited:
In my case they wanted me to go to Mumbai as I think all shipments hit mumbai first. So IMHO you have to be prepared for that. As far as customs value - that I am not sure - in my case they relied on the shippers invoice.
Cheers
Sid

ok, thanks for all inputs. generally how much i need to pay the customs duty for a old amplifier($500value)?reg customs office which office i need to go?whether i need togo to mumbai customs office or hyderabad office(the item is supposed to ship to my hyderabad address)?
regards,

Hi,

In worst case scenario, you would have to go the hyderabad office. Used products are not to be imported unless it falls under the category of capital goods, such as machineries, tools, etc. If you argue with the customs regarding the duty on "used" items, they will confiscate yours.

So, for a $500, whether used or new, it is immaterial for the customs, they will tax as if the amplifier was new. You can expect anywhere from 4.2K to 5.4K of customs, unless the item is marked as gifted with a bonafide letter from the shipper.

Cheers!

Hi,

In worst case scenario, you would have to go the hyderabad office. Used products are not to be imported unless it falls under the category of capital goods, such as machineries, tools, etc. If you argue with the customs regarding the duty on "used" items, they will confiscate yours.

So, for a $500, whether used or new, it is immaterial for the customs, they will tax as if the amplifier was new. You can expect anywhere from 4.2K to 5.4K of customs, unless the item is marked as gifted with a bonafide letter from the shipper.

Cheers!

Or else.......refuse to accept the shipment and let the customs sieze it and then wait for the customs auction and where you can bid for your item in low price :cool:
PS: Idea courtesy, the movie "Badmaas Company" :eek:hyeah:

On a serious note does something like this is actually feasible? Have someone bid something in the customs auction? Just pondering :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Vivek

Or else.......refuse to accept the shipment and let the customs sieze it and then wait for the customs auction and where you can bid for your item in low price :cool:
PS: Idea courtesy, the movie "Badmaas Company" :eek:hyeah:

On a serious note does something like this is actually feasible? Have someone bid something in the customs auction? Just pondering :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Vivek

... ive heard that there are already "mafia" groups who sets the prices(and also win). So the possibility of you winning the bid is remote .

thank you friends , but i am still in confusion, if the item is shipped through EMS, then who takes the responsibility of customs clearence, whether the postoffice or ourself?pls provide me some input. dear sidvee what shipping method you followed in your case?
regards

Hi kdlsrinu;

Here's a timeline for my Tripath amps that I'd ordered on the same day, and shipped via EMS and ChinaPost. You can see that EMS actually logged a "released from customs" action in India, while ChinaPost didn't.

that means i can trust EMS.But the cost of item is more,hence i am fearing to take chance.if the item stuck up in customs then it is difficult to meet in person. rightnow i am not in india. hi sqvare how much you paid for customs and the value of the amp?
regards

Hey kdlsrinu, check your PMs.

FYI, regarding EMS, I was lucky, but some other HFVers like keith_correa & gobble faced delays. See posts 248-249 on the Amplifiers -> Topping TP20 thread.

Since you're out of India and can't run around chasing postmen and customs guys, your safest bet may be to use a more expensive courier company like sidvee & svenkateshsmart suggested, I guess.

Hope this helps, and doesn't just confuse things more :)

If a individual carries a Rs30-35k estimated ...shoebox sized amp as checkin luggage from UK does it need any bis/electrical certificate etc.What about customs duty?
Thanks

Just walk through quietly as long as it looks slightly used.... Eve if you are stopped, just tell the customs guys that you had taken it out for repairing...They will have no proof and will have to take your word... Unless it is an expensive high end amp, customs is no problem...

No experience with amps but got a custom built Swiss watch shipped to me from the USA costing about 500 USD , I chose fedex and the item still sat at customs office for a week . Fedex charged me about 4000 INR or so for duty and handling charges. I can only imagine how heavy amplifiers will be perceived and handled.

If a individual carries a Rs30-35k estimated ...shoebox sized amp as checkin luggage from UK does it need any bis/electrical certificate etc.What about customs duty?
Thanks
According to the Net the current duty free allowance is Rs50,000/- . Stay has to be more than 3 days abroad. Even non residents coming in now have a Rs 50,000/- allowance. If it costs less than Rs50,000 and you don't have any other significantly expensive things you don't even have to declare it. But if someone stops you, you better have some document showing the price you paid. If he hassles you then it must be because he wants something out of it !

If a individual carries a Rs30-35k estimated ...shoebox sized amp as checkin luggage from UK does it need any bis/electrical certificate etc.
This made me laugh aloud! Seriously though, this is India, there are no standards enforced. Life is cheap here.

What about customs duty?
Thanks
If you don't have one, just design and print a fancy pants invoice (a color print always impresses). You'll be surprised how dumb ass the Customs guys are.

This made me laugh aloud! Seriously though, this is India, there are no standards enforced. Life is cheap here.

If you don't have one, just design and print a fancy pants invoice (a color print always impresses). You'll be surprised how dumb ass the Customs guys are.

Hehehehe.. I agree completely with Keith...

Don't underestimate them. Some are very knowledgeable or know exactly how to get info or estimate what it's worth. They are familiar with using the Internet today ! They have smart kids and something can get rubbed off !:) At least in Southern states !

Dont do it its very risky as the invoice is always invalid for used electronic items.They can send packages via ems and it will reach India no doupt about it but there comes customes ems dont have any brokerage team to do the paper work for the cutomes .Your luck will be 10% if customes hold your package then you have to go to customes office and have to give all sorts of details including payment details,invoice and all.Even if you give all details they can decide weather to release it or abandoned your shipment.From my experiance dont underestimate them they are the bose.

I once had a delayed shipment ( at customs) and later was charged as much duty as the cost of the item. This was in Chennai. I sent the parcel back for revaluation and called them up explaining the problem. The person who picked up the call was VERY decent and said that it will be looked after and to get back to them if nothing happens in about 2 weeks. It came back after one week ( through the postman ) with duty reduced by 50%. I could have argued more but it wasn't worth it as it wasnt that expensive anyway. But it WAS an "intelligent" person at the other end of the line and I bet completely Internet savvy also. So don't jump to conclusions that all are dodo's! That was several years ago ! Most are different nowadays.

In fact even with electronic equipment in its original carton ( returning from a trip overseas) is ignored as you go through the green channel unless its very big. If they stop you , after a quick question they let you go if you sound genuine. They are certainly NOT dumb ! Very few of them are looking for a quick buck. I've brought a lot of things in this way and I was always within my allowance and they never even questioned me ( at Chennai ). I also brought used speakers in some cardboard packing. That was suspicious as it had no manufacturer labels except my address on it. I didn't wait to be asked. I approached on of them while going towards the green channel and said I had some speakers . They were bookshelf size. They didn't even ask me how much it cost. .......

If you are honest with them they will let you go even without asking you anything. They can read faces very easily !:)

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back