OLED uniformity thread

Will check around the 100hr mark, might run a manual pixel refresh and see if there is any improvements.

The new Panel that you got, was that from the Retailer or LG?
How did that procedure go?

I haven't replaced mine yet. It's the first only that I got from the retailer.

That dot might be a bad pixel though. It it visible in color slides?
Haven't tested the color slides... Just run through the YouTube links for 5% gray and white. Will check it out with color slides next week... Now away for a week :(.

If it's bad pixel, something to worry about?

How do you like the PQ over the frame!
Obviously oled will be better right :D. Frame cannot be compared with oled at all.

Haven't tested the color slides... Just run through the YouTube links for 5% gray and white. Will check it out with color slides next week... Now away for a week :(.

If it's bad pixel, something to worry about?

Obviously oled will be better right :D. Frame cannot be compared with oled at all.

I know, right? OLED just blows away VA panels for me too.

Anyway, if it's a bad pixel, contact LG. They might ask you to run the manual pixel refresher multiple times. If that doesn't help, then take a new set. This one is obviously defective then.

I know, right? OLED just blows away VA panels for me too.

Anyway, if it's a bad pixel, contact LG. They might ask you to run the manual pixel refresher multiple times. If that doesn't help, then take a new set. This one is obviously defective then.
Please see my shots, is it too bad, should I try my luck with LG for panel replacement?Screenshot_20191129-224153_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20191129-224145_Gallery.jpg

How many hours in is it? I have seen 3 panels now and they have all undergone changes in a short span of time . I think you should be ok with the one you have as Marakk put it
About 100 hours, the other panels you saw, did they also have prominent white bands like can be seen in my pics?

About 100 hours, the other panels you saw, did they also have prominent white bands like can be seen in my pics?
They did have banding . The bands were not as intense at the time of using the grayscale slides but I remember them being there when I first got the sets.. other than the bands I had other issues. One was a circular patch on the left side . This was on the Panasonic FZ950. Also I had a darker tinge to the left side of the same panel. Both the issues sorted themselves out, the first within 24 hours after the maintenance cycle kicked in and the second a few days later. But there was a black line within the same time frame due to which I returned the unit. The C9 too was similar but it was a demo unit that had finished 112 hours at the time I did the test. That had the same blotchy look and bands. However the appearance of the bands seemed to change, the blotchy look not so much.

Is this noticeable when watching specific types of low nit content as well?

@Marakk @Gfreeman thank you guys for your inputs.

Attaching better captured 5,10,20% pics.

As we know that our consumer protection laws/ rights are nowhere as strong as those in Europe, i don't think LG India will agree to replace the TV itself, at best they may agree to change the panel after lots of persuasion.

Wanted advice from you guys as to whether its worth the hassle to persuade LG to replace my panel?

@Marakk is the uniformity issue with your panel resolved, did you got your TV/ panel replaced?Five Percent.jpgTen percent.jpgTwenty percent.jpg

@Marakk @Gfreeman thank you guys for your inputs.

Attaching better captured 5,10,20% pics.

As we know that our consumer protection laws/ rights are nowhere as strong as those in Europe, i don't think LG India will agree to replace the TV itself, at best they may agree to change the panel after lots of persuasion.

Wanted advice from you guys as to whether its worth the hassle to persuade LG to replace my panel?

@Marakk is the uniformity issue with your panel resolved, did you got your TV/ panel replaced?View attachment 41656View attachment 41657View attachment 41658

Nope. It has just improved slightly. I have gotten a phone with bad tinting replace from Vivo. The next one had only slight tinting, but grey uniformity was still not perfect. After seen about 6 OLED phone screens and 2 OLED TVs in person, I haven't even gotten one good or close to good panel. I don't think it's worth the hassle to replace the panel for me. No guarantee that the next will be better. Unless yours is so bad that it comes up in content watching frequently, I wouldn't bother. Your opinion might vary. Decide for yourself.

Nope. It has just improved slightly. I have gotten a phone with bad tinting replace from Vivo. The next one had only slight tinting, but grey uniformity was still not perfect. After seen about 6 OLED phone screens and 2 OLED TVs in person, I haven't even gotten one good or close to good panel. I don't think it's worth the hassle to replace the panel for me. No guarantee that the next will be better. Unless yours is so bad that it comes up in content watching frequently, I wouldn't bother. Your opinion might vary. Decide for yourself.
Hmm, it seems to depend on manufacturers, my note 10+ has absolute perfect uniformity with zero banding. In future if samsung manufacturers OLED TV, i believe they would have much better QC.

Hmm, it seems to depend on manufacturers, my note 10+ has absolute perfect uniformity with zero banding. In future if samsung manufacturers OLED TV, i believe they would have much better QC.

My cousin's Note 10 doesn't. My brother's A Galaxy A8 doesn't. Forums are full with people without adequate dark uniformity. Have you checked in a pitch black room? In phones it often doesn't present itself. Both my bros hasn't even noticed it yet. Smaller panels have better odds of uniformity though. Imagine your panel cut in smaller pieces for phones. Half of them might have good uniformity when cut in smaller pieces. Anyway, my point is that chances that you'll get a better TV are low. LG is going whatever it can. There's a tech for great uniformity but it requires custom tuning of each panel. Only GZ2000 seems to be employing that as of yet.

My cousin's Note 10 doesn't. My brother's A Galaxy A8 doesn't. Forums are full with people without adequate dark uniformity. Have you checked in a pitch black room? In phones it often doesn't present itself. Both my bros hasn't even noticed it yet. Smaller panels have better odds of uniformity though. Imagine your panel cut in smaller pieces for phones. Half of them might have good uniformity when cut in smaller pieces. Anyway, my point is that chances that you'll get a better TV are low. LG is going whatever it can. There's a tech for great uniformity but it requires custom tuning of each panel. Only GZ2000 seems to be employing that as of yet.
Yes i have checked in pitch black room, absolute perfect uniformity.

But you are right, it's easier to have a uniform 6.8 inch oled phone than a 55 inch oled tv. But I still believe samsung has better quality control than LG, shame they don't make OLED TV.

Yes i have checked in pitch black room, absolute perfect uniformity.

But you are right, it's easier to have a uniform 6.8 inch oled phone than a 55 inch oled tv. But I still believe samsung has better quality control than LG, shame they don't make OLED TV.

They did for a short while, and they'll be making them in a few years again. So you might just get your wish.

@Marakk Thanks for your inputs, pls give one more suggestion.

Today after 120 hours mark, i did the manual pixel refresh from settings, attached are the after refresh pics.

From your knowledge of the panels you yourself had or have seen, is the banding & uniformity of my panel within the average tolerance levels?? because i believe LG will agree to replace the panel only if i show that banding/ uniformity of my panel is worse than the average levels.Five 1.jpgFive 2.jpgFive 3.jpgTen.jpg

@Marakk Thanks for your inputs, pls give one more suggestion.

Today after 120 hours mark, i did the manual pixel refresh from settings, attached are the after refresh pics.

From your knowledge of the panels you yourself had or have seen, is the banding & uniformity of my panel within the average tolerance levels?? because i believe LG will agree to replace the panel only if i show that banding/ uniformity of my panel is worse than the average levels.View attachment 41661View attachment 41662View attachment 41663View attachment 41664

I'll say it about average. I have also done manual refreshes as some people mentioned theirs clearing up after them, but it didn't help in mine. LG will replace depending on how you make your case and showcase the problem. You'll also have to sidestep their tactics to deny your claim. After all that, any guarantees that the next one will be better? I don't know. Average would say 50-50 chance. You might get worse too. Do we have any evidence that LG tries to make their replacement panels better do that less complains come? I don't know. It's a lottery in its true sense. I'm not asking for a replacement just yet. About 400 hours done. Will take a photo tonight and upload.

So I had one from last week. I see some improvement over time. I have changed the frequency of auto pixel refresher to run after every 3 hours from the service menu in hopes that it might help. You can compare with my first posts in this thread.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191203_145104.JPG
    Screenshot_20191203_145104.JPG
    132.9 KB · Views: 37
Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back