"On ear" Headphones in the 250 $ category

square_wave

Planning to pick up a headphone to use with typical players like Astel and Kern etc...

Pre-requisites :

Sound equally good with classical music and rock
Closed back models with good sound isolation
Primary listening will be classical and Jazz
Full range sound
Balanced frequency response. No bass heaviness or rolled off sound
Easy to store and small enough to carry..
On ear models preferred instead of over ear cups to keep the size smaller.

A good examples is the : Sennheiser HD25 aluminum
Sennheiser HD 25 ALUMINUM - DJ Headphone Stereo - Powerful bass response
and the types seen here :

InnerFidelity's "Wall of Fame" Ear-Pad Sealed | InnerFidelity

I have never been a big headphone listener so not sure what are hot in the market now.

Any suggestions by headphone aficionados are welcome !!

Last edited:
Any particular reason you want to limit yourself to on-ears ?

On-ears are designed to they sit on the ears, even the most comfortable on on-ear headphones can be worn only for 2-3 hours before ears ache sets in, for a lot of people

Over ears or circumaurals, on the other hand, since they sit on the surrounding skull, can be worn more comfortably for longer periods. They resulting in sweating, but I'd take sweating anyday over aching ears

(Of course, this is assuming you take care to pick an ergonomic headphone. Some of the serious ones have very heavy clamping and hence not wearable for long)

Any particular reason you want to limit yourself to on-ears ?

On-ears are designed to they sit on the ears, even the most comfortable on on-ear headphones can be worn only for 2-3 hours before ears ache sets in, for a lot of people

Over ears or circumaurals, on the other hand, since they sit on the surrounding skull, can be worn more comfortably for longer periods. They resulting in sweating, but I'd take sweating anyday over aching ears

(Of course, this is assuming you take care to pick an ergonomic headphone. Some of the serious ones have very heavy clamping and hence not wearable for long)

Prefer on ear to keep size small. But will keep your advice in mind. Are there over ear headphones which are easy to carry around ?

Sennheiser HD 600 Open Dynamic Hi-Fi Professional Stereo Headphones (Black)

List Price: $399.95
Price: $269.00
You Save: $130.95 (33%)

:) but...

You purchased this item on September 30, 2014.

:( Yep. I did. At the full price. It's a price-slash giveaway on the HD600s. Fantastic bargain. But it's no good for portable, travel use: too big, too open.

I too am thinking of buying travel headphones for an upcoming trip and am thinking Amperior, HD25-1, etc.

You should probably look at this head-fi thread: Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed 114! eek! It's grouped by [rice range, and there is a link to a sortable list.

Looks, from there, as well as other reviews, that Beyerdynamic DT1350 should be shortlisted.

Another place for useful, down-to-earth reviews is Inner Fidelity. You may know it already. If not: go there!

Hey Thad, Thanks for that shootout link. Surprisingly, my existing shortlist are the HD25 aluminium or DT1350 ( exactly matches your suggestions). I can see some more interesting ones in the shootout. Let me go through the review in the weekend.

Trying to find portable headphone with sound philosophy similar to the Senn HD600 or HD 650.

Most of the portable ones do not have resolution in the bass. They extend but do not sound tuneful which is quite important when you are a Jazz and classical listener. This is usually due to the smaller driver in these.

The ATH-ES10 from Audio technical has a 53mm driver which I was hoping will solve this issue.

http://www.headfonia.com/audio-technica-es10/

Last edited:
square wave, I have heard the HD 25's and would definitely recommend them. However, I did feel that they were not as comfy as using open back hps like ad 700 or hd 555, probably because of the leather pads and clamping force.

classical music, rock and jazz.... hmmm

have a look at the grado sr325e for quality and portability - but they are open back ones
i have personally heard the previous i version and loved them.

if you are a jazz person, check out the akg k701... amazing value for money.... best headphones i've heard in my life.... and imo.... as good as - if not better than the sennheiser HD800.... both cans heard on a benchmark dac2 d....

Hey Thad, Thanks for that shootout link. Surprisingly, my existing shortlist are the HD25 aluminium or DT1350 ( exactly matches your suggestions). I can see some more interesting ones in the shootout. Let me go through the review in the weekend.

Just passing on what I've gleaned from the headphone "community," and particularly reviews on Inner Fidelity. By the way, if you are looking for a low-cost bargain, see recent comments on Noontech!

Trying to find portable headphone with sound philosophy similar to the Senn HD600 or HD 650.
That would be nice, yes. My ideal would have tighter bass than the HD 600 (currently my every-day headphone) and more detailed treble. I'm hoping to be able to afford to try the HD800 wile my hearing is still worth it. With increasing HF hearing loss, bright, for me, is good, and balanced, maybe not so much

Most of the portable ones do not have resolution in the bass. They extend but do not sound tuneful which is quite important when you are a Jazz and classical listener. This is usually due to the smaller driver in these.

Just like speakers, I suppose that if we want small, we have to compromise

square wave, I have heard the HD 25's and would definitely recommend them. However, I did feel that they were not as comfy as using open back hps like ad 700 or hd 555, probably because of the leather pads and clamping force.

I have a thin face/head shape. Many people say that the HD600s clamp too hard, but they are comfortable to me. With that simple metal band, I suppose bending to adjust is possible?

To be honest, I'm finding in-ear stuff such a pain in the nec... err, ear, that I'd rather put my heard in a vice! WIth my current pair of buds, if I put the large bud, the sound is surprisingly good, but the sensation is uncomfortable. Moving to medium, the fit is comfortable; could wear for a long time, but both isolation and bass take a dive. I was finding them about OK with an EQ curve that looked like -> \ ... and remember I have HF hearing loss!

If money was no object, and more-or-less having to buy without audition, I would have exactly the same shortlist as you, but budget is tight simply because I am travelling (London trip) and also need/want to spend on other things. And only bought the HD600s six months ago.

I'll probably end up with plastic HD25/Amperion. One London dealer has an open-box pair around a hundred UK. They don't ship abroad, but anyway, if they'd deliver to my London friend that would be better anyway.

But I've got another couple of months to watch for deal, and haven't ruled out the cheap stuff. Koss Porta Pro is very well reviews for travel.

To be honest, I'm finding in-ear stuff such a pain in the nec... err, ear, that I'd rather put my heard in a vice! WIth my current pair of buds, if I put the large bud, the sound is surprisingly good, but the sensation is uncomfortable. Moving to medium, the fit is comfortable; could wear for a long time, but both isolation and bass take a dive. I was finding them about OK with an EQ curve that looked like -> \ ... and remember I have HF hearing loss!

You should try Sony Hybrid tips for in-ear comfort. Search head-fi.org forums for details. You can get them from amazon.com (Amazon.com: Sony EPEX10A/BLK Hybrid Replacement Earbuds (Black): Electronics)

Try NADs VISO HP50
very well reviewed. would have got one if i did not have a Beyer 990.
For travel get one which can collapse and has a case. both are very imp and better than on the ears as the size difference is made more manageable.

Last edited:
You should try Sony Hybrid tips for in-ear comfort. ...

I'd been wondering about trying Comply. Would have ordered a pack if my model was listed, but it isn't, so I have to go to a shop.

square_wave said:
The ATH-ES10 from Audio technical has a 53mm driver which I was hoping will solve this issue.

Whoa! Way off my budget screen :cool: so I didn't bother to check more than one review. Is it reviewed on Inner Fidelity? It is worth noting that Tyll has a policy of preferring to only write about stuff that he recommends rather than publish bad reviews. The absence of a review, though, doesn't mean he hates something: there are a lot of headphones!

Mod's note:
Posts merged.

My decision is based largely on the fact that whatever I buy is going to sit on the shelf most of the year. it is also not going to be used with "hifi" (expensive, if that makes a difference ;) ) sources, but with budget phone/tablet, even thought I may use external DAC.

I have my hifi 'phones for home use, the HD600s, and the ATH AD900s that preceded them, and now sit on the shelf, are pretty nice too. On that basis, unless some great online bargain presents itself in the next 5-6 weeks (I want these for July) I am going value for money. Hello Noontec! :D Would never even have thought of it without Inner Fidelity.

Your buying decision, of something to mate with much more upmarket sources, and probably to use a lot more, is likely to be different. Anyway, I thought I'd share mine, as it stands so far. Did you buy yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
As far iems go have you tried something like the westones? They are quite comfortable for longer periods of time.

I recently got myself a B&W P5..am very very impressed. folds flat for travel, has a microphone and pretty effective sound isolation !

And its Bass/midrange is sublime

I recently got myself a B&W P5..am very very impressed. folds flat for travel, has a microphone and pretty effective sound isolation !

And its Bass/midrange is sublime

Did you get the series 2 ? I have heard the original p5 once at some airport ( trial model). Liked it a lot !! It sounded a little extra lush, if you know what I mean :)

I picked up a RHA 750i for travel.
RHA - MA750i - Noise Isolating, Premium In-Ear Headphone with remote and microphone

May look at the P5 series 2 for everyday use...

I have the series 1. The series 2 has something from the p7 which as per some folks was not as good. Anyway I got a 45%discount on it so not complaining

If you can audition VMODA crosfade M100...nothing like it...It does justification with every genere...and its quiet musical...
reviews says its bass heavy..but it is super clean..and built quality is great...before anything I would say go for audition...

here is the review from innerfidelity(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gd49nLqZY)...it is recommended for audiophile too..

Next step would be to go for AUDEZE headphones....nothing in between...IMO..YMMV..

If you can audition VMODA crosfade M100...nothing like it...It does justification with every genere...and its quiet musical...
reviews says its bass heavy..but it is super clean..and built quality is great...before anything I would say go for audition...

here is the review from innerfidelity(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4gd49nLqZY)...it is recommended for audiophile too..

Next step would be to go for AUDEZE headphones....nothing in between...IMO..YMMV..

Vmoda is really very nice and has very nice reviews and is a great buy.The looks are a bit "Space age" for me though :)
From reviews the NAD VISO seems to be The headphone to buy at below 300USD but not available in india

I believe the Senn HD700/800 and the Beyer Tesla are also a great buys in their price ranges as the Audeze is in the Uber expensive headphone category but other than the Abyss, one of the best headphones

Will second the recommendation on NAD Viso HP50. Extremely high value. Contact Lakozy, Mumbai, they might have it.
I don't know if someone has recommended the Onkyo ES-HF300. Very well balanced and sweet sounding. I remember them being available for about 7-8k on snapdeal sometime back.
The creative aurvana live! 2 is also another good sounding headphone.
BTW, For a strict budget, the best option is the Blaupunkt Comfort 112 NC. Good kit for the price (perfect travelling headphones if you ask me). These are slightly bassy but while travelling you'll appreciate this particular sound signature. These are not audiophile quality though.

My decision is based largely on the fact that whatever I buy is going to sit on the shelf most of the year. it is also not going to be used with "hifi" (expensive, if that makes a difference ;) ) sources, but with budget phone/tablet, even thought I may use external DAC.

I have my hifi 'phones for home use, the HD600s, and the ATH AD900s that preceded them, and now sit on the shelf, are pretty nice too. On that basis, unless some great online bargain presents itself in the next 5-6 weeks (I want these for July) I am going value for money. Hello Noontec! :D Would never even have thought of it without Inner Fidelity.

Your buying decision, of something to mate with much more upmarket sources, and probably to use a lot more, is likely to be different. Anyway, I thought I'd share mine, as it stands so far. Did you buy yet?

I bought the Noontec Zoro 2. Ordered from Amazon UK, was waiting for me on arrival.

Light, comfortable and relatively inexpensive. Good for travel.

Closed-back, but isolation is not great. Not so good for travelling.

All I can say is that I am happy with the music. I'm relatively new to head-phones so can't apply much experience to reviewing.

Oh... on my return, my wife has got hold of them, and is using them with her tablet, around the house. They may not spend such a lot of time on the shelf after all! :eek:hyeah:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back