Onkyo 3500 ; Set up for beginners

I've connected this through HDMI: (BD/DVD Player "slot" in the AV)

https://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_Mini/

Using DTS Neo 6 for almost all content. Any other setting i should think of? In some movies vocals are not pronounced enough / are kinda blended with the background sound. Till now only happening in Kingkong [2005]. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
EDIT: Transformers sounds great! Loving it.
EDIT 2: I picked up a Rs. 250 HDMI 1.3 and it is "HDMI Out" from AV to the TV. Does it make a difference?

Last edited:
I've connected this through HDMI: (BD/DVD Player "slot" in the AV)

https://www.asus.com/Multimedia/OPlay_Mini/

Using DTS Neo 6 for almost all content. Any other setting i should think of? In some movies vocals are not pronounced enough / are kinda blended with the background sound. Till now only happening in Kingkong [2005]. Any suggestions are welcome.
Thanks.
EDIT: Transformers sounds great! Loving it.
EDIT 2: I picked up a Rs. 250 HDMI 1.3 and it is "HDMI Out" from AV to the TV. Does it make a difference?

dude you do NOT want to use the Rs250 hdmi :eek: My friend had a 40"sony bravia lcd and had his ps3 connected to a similar Rs.300 hdmi from nehru place.
His TV got fried, and as soon as the engineer came to check it out, he straight away said it was coz of this hdmi. His ps3's hdmi port also had to be replaced.

Also,when i bought the 800Rs hdmi, i was pleasantly surprised to see that it supported some new features, i can control the AVR's volume using my samsung tv remote, and i can even tturn on/off my ps3 and navigate on it using same tv remote ! (when this hdmi is connected directly from ps3 to tv).

Spend 700-1k for a good hdmi, its worth it

If dialogues arent clear enough, i use all channel stereo, otherwise i use movies PLII preset for movies (via my SD stb :( ) . I was surprised though, at the clarity in background sounds even with standard definition content.
In a car scene, i could clearly make out that shots were being fired in the background, to the left.

I also often switch to DTS neo 6 when watching sitcoms etc.

When i play HD content of course, the avr automatically switches to dolby digital. If not, the option appears in tv's menu, which is by default set on pcm.

Dolby sound is the real deal, i switched from neo 6 to dd and there was soo much difference ..

Here is a small review i wrote for the 3500
http://goo.gl/Yxgjd

dude you do NOT want to use the Rs250 hdmi :eek: My friend had a 40"sony bravia lcd and had his ps3 connected to a similar Rs.300 hdmi from nehru place.
His TV got fried, and as soon as the engineer came to check it out, he straight away said it was coz of this hdmi. His ps3's hdmi port also had to be replaced.

Also,when i bought the 800Rs hdmi, i was pleasantly surprised to see that it supported some new features, i can control the AVR's volume using my samsung tv remote, and i can even tturn on/off my ps3 and navigate on it using same tv remote ! (when this hdmi is connected directly from ps3 to tv).

The TV got fried not because of the cable, but your friend might have removed the cable while both devices are powered. Never remove hdmi cable when the devices are ON. It will fry hdmi port. The additional feature you got is ARC which requires hdmi 1.4 complaint cable. Your TV should also have ARC port. For normal use the 200 Rs. hdmi cable is more than enough and there is no improved PQ by using costly hdmi cables. But compared to these cheaper cables, branded cables have good build quality and they fix more firmly in the port. I suggest Belkin or Bandridge cables. Get V1.4 (high speed) hdmi cable for taking advantage of 3D and ARC features.

The TV got fried not because of the cable, but your friend might have removed the cable while both devices are powered. Never remove hdmi cable when the devices are ON. It will fry hdmi port. The additional feature you got is ARC which requires hdmi 1.4 complaint cable. Your TV should also have ARC port. For normal use the 200 Rs. hdmi cable is more than enough and there is no improved PQ by using costly hdmi cables. But compared to these cheaper cables, branded cables have good build quality and they fix more firmly in the port. I suggest Belkin or Bandridge cables. Get V1.4 (high speed) hdmi cable for taking advantage of 3D and ARC features.

No, he never unplugged the cable.
I had the same Rs.300 cable,when I removed it after hearing my friend's case, i saw that it's tip was almost rusted, it looked really bad. i would not put that in an expensive tv.

The sony engineer seemed pretty confident that the tv was fried because of the hdmi cable, he had apparently seen many such cases.
If there is even a slight chance though, would you rather not recommend spending that extra 500-600 Rs to get a dependable cable? I'm not talking about monster canle or anything that high end, but some measure of surety is certainly advisable no? when such expensive equipment is connected via this?
But yes, there ws no difference in the picture quality between then two cables, but i did not expect there to be anyway.

I am able to control my avr through my samsung tv remote right, but my tv does not have arc listed in its features..I even asked a samsung online rep if my tv supported,he said it did not.
That is why i had to buy an optical cable along with it,so that sound from my tv can be sent to the AVR (for media content via usb and stb)

Note- when i am able to control devices connected to tv through this particular 800Rs hdmi (it's Dell) , the 'AnyNet' feature comes on, and i can see it there in the menu.
Perhaps it is this that controls the other devices, not ARC.
I may be wrong, i am only guessing.

^^ Oops! It is not ARC, but CEC (Consumer Electronics Control) which can control other devices. Getting a branded cable is recommended as they have good build quality.

I've always read and felt that cheap HDMI cables work the same way like expensive ones an due to this i ended up buying cheap ones. The one i bought yesterday is HDMI 1.3. Whatever the case i've called Onkyo and order 3 HDMI cables along with another 15 meters rear speaker cable. Who wants to have trouble later trying to save little money now.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm getting Onkyo HDMI cable 1.4 (don't know i it is 1.4a or 1.4b but i guess that doesn't make a difference because i will never use 3D)

The volume of the AV can also be controlled by the set-top box remote. Sweet review. Thanks.
dude you do NOT want to use the Rs250 hdmi :eek: My friend had a 40"sony bravia lcd and had his ps3 connected to a similar Rs.300 hdmi from nehru place. His TV got fried, and as soon as the engineer came to check it out, he straight away said it was coz of this hdmi. His ps3's hdmi port also had to be replaced.

Also, when i bought the 800Rs hdmi, i was pleasantly surprised to see that it supported some new features, i can control the AVR's volume using my samsung tv remote, and i can even tturn on/off my ps3 and navigate on it using same tv remote ! (when this hdmi is connected directly from ps3 to tv).

Spend 700-1k for a good hdmi, its worth it

If dialogues arent clear enough, i use all channel stereo, otherwise i use movies PLII preset for movies (via my SD stb :( ) . I was surprised though, at the clarity in background sounds even with standard definition content.
In a car scene, i could clearly make out that shots were being fired in the background, to the left.

I also often switch to DTS neo 6 when watching sitcoms etc.

When i play HD content of course, the avr automatically switches to dolby digital. If not, the option appears in tv's menu, which is by default set on pcm.

Dolby sound is the real deal, i switched from neo 6 to dd and there was soo much difference ..

Here is a small review i wrote for the 3500
http://goo.gl/Yxgjd

Last edited:
can anyone tell me that do vocals come from onkyo 3500 sorround speakers in mine are coming and also i cant feel surround effect plz tell settings

If you are getting vocals from surrounds, then the avr is in some kind of prologic mode like Dolby prologic or dts neo6. Your movie should be in 5.1 DTS/DD to get the correct channel mapping.

can anyone tell me that do vocals come from onkyo 3500 sorround speakers in mine are coming and also i cant feel surround effect plz tell settings

It's all about the presets. If you can hear dialogue from surrounds, you are probably on All Channel Stereo.
If dialogue clarity isnt there, switch to Tv logic. The sound will mostly come from center and front speakers but it will be clear, good for dialogue.

Basically just play around with the presets, see which suits you best. If sound is not upto the mark, you probably need to tweak your settings. Have you done that so far?

In setup, go to sp config and sp level and adjust the distance from your position and the individual level of each speaker.

The surround speakers as explained to me by members, are basically for background noise. They are not supposed to carry dialogue . For example, if two people are talking and there is music playing in another room in the movie, the surrounds should output that sound. In a car chase scene, the sound of the car behind the main car, and its effects should be output by the the surrounds.

The position of speakers, i.e where the are pointing is equally important to get the best out of the system. Check out the settings suggested by dolby :
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer...-theater-speaker-guide/select-config-5-1.html

The only problem the 3500 is that when the mains are turned off it looses all settings. So whenever i switch it on i have to tweak settings every time. This could be an issue with first time users so one should get used to it asap :)

@ AMD20 Choose DTS Neo for best surround effects. It won't work if "speaker B" is turned on.

Really? I dont think i've noticed that..I thought my settings stayed the same. I turn off the mains every night..Will check

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back