Onkyo 3500 ; Set up for beginners

What are the settings settings affected by power off? Settings should not loose on power off. If the problem continues to show, call the service center.

it's all about the presets. If you can hear dialogue from surrounds, you are probably on all channel stereo.
If dialogue clarity isnt there, switch to tv logic. The sound will mostly come from center and front speakers but it will be clear, good for dialogue.

Basically just play around with the presets, see which suits you best. If sound is not upto the mark, you probably need to tweak your settings. Have you done that so far?

In setup, go to sp config and sp level and adjust the distance from your position and the individual level of each speaker.

The surround speakers as explained to me by members, are basically for background noise. They are not supposed to carry dialogue . For example, if two people are talking and there is music playing in another room in the movie, the surrounds should output that sound. In a car chase scene, the sound of the car behind the main car, and its effects should be output by the the surrounds.

The position of speakers, i.e where the are pointing is equally important to get the best out of the system. Check out the settings suggested by dolby :
http://www.dolby.com/us/en/consumer...-theater-speaker-guide/select-config-5-1.html
sir i want to know what settings should i put in crossover , surround right, suur left , front right , front left, plz tell whatever you use is best gives effect

the only problem the 3500 is that when the mains are turned off it looses all settings. So whenever i switch it on i have to tweak settings every time. This could be an issue with first time users so one should get used to it asap :)

@ amd20 choose dts neo for best surround effects. It won't work if "speaker b" is turned on.
sir how to choose dts neo i cannot find it plz tell step by step please

On the remote, press 'receiver' , then press sp a/b untill only 'A' is selected (see display on the AVR) . Then press movie/tv on the remote untill it cycles through the various presets and u will find Neo 6.

DD will be switched automatically by the avr when you are playing content that is encoded in DD. Normal SD content won't.

Did you see if the settings stay same after powering it down? I'm buying "high Speed HDMI OSSI (Onkyo) cables. These are Rs. 600 and not 1.4 but i don't need 1.4. Well to my surprise when i play FLAC files the dts OR dolby is displayed on the AV. SOme other things i've noticed which are bit odd or maybe i have to know more about this stuff.
On the remote, press 'receiver' , then press sp a/b untill only 'A' is selected (see display on the AVR) . Then press movie/tv on the remote untill it cycles through the various presets and u will find Neo 6.

DD will be switched automatically by the avr when you are playing content that is encoded in DD. Normal SD content won't.

Did you see if the settings stay same after powering it down? I'm buying "high Speed HDMI OSSI (Onkyo) cables. These are Rs. 600 and not 1.4 but i don't need 1.4. Well to my surprise when i play FLAC files the dts OR dolby is displayed on the AV. SOme other things i've noticed which are bit odd or maybe i have to know more about this stuff.

Settings are the same, they did not get reset. You should call the guy, maybe he will just troubleshoot it on the phone.
What else are you finding odd?

Edit ; I did not know what flac was until comment ^^.. now i wonder how i ever lived without it! So much difference ! its really excellent.

P.s: how do you get dd while playing flac audio? i put the song on a usb and the avr read it directly. 47hz and 1090kbps. Sound was definitely better than mp3(obviously) but i couldn't see dd in the presets or anywhere else. Also, dts comes only when i select the neo6 preset. Is that what you meant in the comment? Unlike dd, which comes on automatically when i play hd video content/ps3/x360.

Last edited:
Settings are the same, they did not get reset. You should call the guy, maybe he will just troubleshoot it on the phone.
no i want to in DB WHAT SHOULD I PUT IN CROSSOVER SUUROUND LEFT AND RIGHT FRONT CENTRE BASS TREBLE AND OTHER SETTINGS . SECONDLY I AM PLAYING WANTED BLURAY AND IN DTS MODE IT PLAYS AUTOMATICALLY BUT VOCALS ARE COMING FROM SURROUND

Yup, the settings reset in case of a power failure not if i "shutdown" AV properly :)
I played it through ASUS O Play mini off a 1TB USB HDD, yet to try the USB on the AV. Will try more stuff and update, just got internal wiring done for rear speakers so will try different stuff.

Edit ; I did not know what flac was until comment ^^.. now i wonder how i ever lived without it! So much difference ! its really excellent.

P.s: how do you get dd while playing flac audio? i put the song on a usb and the avr read it directly. 47hz and 1090kbps. Sound was definitely better than mp3 (obviously) but i couldn't see dd in the presets or anywhere else. Also, dts comes only when i select the neo6 preset. Is that what you meant in the comment? Unlike dd, which comes on automatically when i play hd video content/ps3/x360.

The Onkyo cables are 1.4, the Onkyo guy said the cable doesnot say it is 1.4 just says high speed lol he was not aware.
High speed HDMI = V1.4 compatible.

Last edited:
One thing. When i play youtube videos (low qualiy flv files that i've stored in hdd) have higher volume with good surround than bd-rips, i wonder why.

Last edited:
Or maybe we are missing some settings 'coz DVD Rips are compressed too but they sound fine. BDrips have DTS and shiz and should ideally sound better. Some of them sound stunning some sound real dud.:sad:
yes brrips have really crappy audio..i guess coz they are so compressed. Not sure

I have connected ASUS player to the AV through HDMI. The ASUS also has an optical out. If i connect the player directly to the TV (HDMI for video) and for use optical or analogue for audio to the AV make a difference to the overall quality? Just wondering...

I have connected ASUS player to the AV through HDMI. The ASUS also has an optical out. If i connect the player directly to the TV (HDMI for video) and for use optical or analogue for audio to the AV make a difference to the overall quality? Just wondering...

For the same content, the difference might be barely noticable. But if you have an optical out from tv,and an hdmi through your player, the avr automatically prefers and selects hdmi.

The difference should only be distinguishable when content is 7.1 or 5.1 true HD as i guess optical cant carry thee signals

I guess if you play video from a usb drive directly connected to your TV you are not sending audio signal to the AVR so the sound will be sub-standard? However it should not be the case when a laptop is connected using HDMI to the AVR :eek:
I have tried playing video directly on my tv via usb, and also through my laptop via hdmi from laptop to avr. Sound is below sub-standard

I guess if you play video from a usb drive directly connected to your TV you are not sending audio signal to the AVR so the sound will be sub-standard? However it should not be the case when a laptop is connected using HDMI to the AVR :eek:

When usb directly plays on tv, the sound is sent via optical to avr.
When i play hd content on the tv also via usb, the avr receives and plays dd :D Tv's usb player is pretty good, it plays mkv mp4 all formats ..

So your TV an an optical out? Which model is it? Either ways we're not getting satisfactory audio in BDRips and i guess BD rips have much more high quality audio just like video so we should experience better video (which we are) along with frigging better audio.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back