Onkyo 3500 ; Set up for beginners

^^ First check if your movie files have 5.1 audio track. Next check if it is aac 5.1 and if so, set your player to send pcm for aac. Most brrips use aac which is inferior to DD or DTS. AVR can't decode aac.

yes optical out it is. It's 2011 samsung series 6 lcd . One good purchase at that time, even if it was more expensive is still doing well for me :D

My theory is, suppose bd movie is 10gb,and it is ripped @720p into 1gb,so video iis good therefore audio must be compromised.
In case of dvd, the size itself is 4gb, and it is ripped into 1gb, so i guess that is why the audio may be better.

In any case, to get the true surround experience, we need to buy/rent original dvd's /blu-rays. The pirate gods do not wish us to continue our foul ways :p

^^ First check if your movie files have 5.1 audio track. Next check if it is aac 5.1 and if so, set your player to send pcm for aac. Most brrips use aac which is inferior to DD or DTS. AVR can't decode aac.

none of my brrips have dd encoded. They are all aac I am certain

edit; how to i delete a post? cant seem to find it

Last edited:

none of my brrips have dd encoded. They are all aac I am certain

All BDrips i have are almost bigger than 2 Gb and have DTS or some highend audio. It can be checked using a key on the remote, i'll update later because i don't remember the damn key. It displays what "input audio" it gets and what it "outputs"

All BDrips i have are almost bigger than 2 Gb and have DTS or some highend audio. It can be checked using a key on the remote, i'll update later because i don't remember the damn key. It displays what "input audio" it gets and what it "outputs"

your asus does that or the avr??

These speakers are NOT magnetically shielded. Does that mean i can't keep it close the the TV. The center speaker is just an inch below the TV and the front left and right are about a feet away from the TV. Am i ****ed?

Last edited:
i do not know what the significance of magnetically shielded or not shielded is :eek: mine are also close to the tv.
Did not use the rubber stickers. The installation guy said that they weren't really a success. Even if you stick them under your subwoofer, they will soon lose the adhesiveness.

He suggested i put a small carpet under it instead, which i did . It's just a square carpet, only slightly larger than the sub-woofer

Magnetically shielded speakers matter for CRT TVs and monitors. There is no problem in placing them near to LCD TVs.

I've used the small ones without fevibond and the bigger ones have been glued with fevibond. I noticed some "trrr trrr" sound without them as the small speakers are wall mounted and were touching the wall probably causing that cheap sound, after sticking the small pads there is no shitty sound. Rubber makes the sub kinda stick to the floor so it doesn't move and don't create useless "brr brr" sound. If they come off I'll cut the sub stands to make it flat and stick a thicker rubber pad with fevibond. Works good.
i do not know what the significance of magnetically shielded or not shielded is :eek: mine are also close to the tv.
Did not use the rubber stickers. The installation guy said that they weren't really a success. Even if you stick them under your subwoofer, they will soon lose the adhesiveness.

He suggested i put a small carpet under it instead, which i did . It's just a square carpet, only slightly larger than the sub-woofer

Are you sure you'l be satisfied with the placement of the subwoofer? i keep changing it's direction frequently, and stop wherever it sounds best..Small carpet thing also removes the vibrations which cause noise in the sub woofer.

The other speakers are nailed up pretty well, i haven't noticed an vibration disturbance in those

I have space restrictions so have no choice. Did you increase the volume of all speakers from set-up. It makes a good difference. With all set to zero i had to increase the volume to 55+ to feel any punch, now that feeling is at around 40 volume.
Are you sure you'l be satisfied with the placement of the subwoofer? i keep changing it's direction frequently, and stop wherever it sounds best..Small carpet thing also removes the vibrations which cause noise in the sub woofer.

The other speakers are nailed up pretty well, i haven't noticed an vibration disturbance in those

I have space restrictions so have no choice. Did you increase the volume of all speakers from set-up. It makes a good difference. With all set to zero i had to increase the volume to 55+ to feel any punch, now that feeling is at around 40 volume.

Yep in sound calibration the minimum volume of center speaker is 5, left and right are 8 sub woofer is 10, surrounds are 10 each. at 30 volume i can hear good quality sound now :D

Played after sticking rubber pads on the woofer, no more "trr trr" sound ;)
Connected 8GB Pendrive and played MP3 and FLAC files. It was good. Now i'll compare same tracks playing thru Asus player and check difference. :cool:
Yep in sound calibration the minimum volume of center speaker is 5, left and right are 8 sub woofer is 10, surrounds are 10 each. at 30 volume i can hear good quality sound now :D

Last edited:
While playback (or maybe even without playback) if you press "TONE" on the remote, it'll give you options to change bass/treble and subwoofer. It's good.

Last edited:
yes i know. For metal im using bass 4 treble 5 and subwoofer 8.

Try out the flac audio on asus and give feedback. I played a heavy metal track, same track as mp3@320kbps as well as [email protected] couldn't really tell the difference..
The sound was so good i was anyways impressed with it, but couldnt honestly differentiate between mp3 and flac when i played the content via usb in the avr

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back