Onkyo 606 Vs Denon 1909 Vs Yamaha 663

In hifi world,

the heart does not miss
what the mind does not know;

but the heart will yearn for
what the mind rejects.

Go , figure out the meaning !!

Last edited:
I am surprised to hear this.Yamaha's are one of the most stable receivers I have seen. I have heard many many models at reference levels and did not find any distortion. Did you have them on the right surfaces? The sound, though forward is very clean at very loud listening levels - Led Zeppelin albums are always a good test for high volume listening. So is the Deep Purple. You should get the vocals as well as the instrumentals at these volumes.

I heard 663 At Alliance4 with TannoyF4,wharf centre,surr system.
I liked sound with mov & mov at lower volume.Moment I turn vol higher(60% of max)
treble was like screaming.I carried my own DVDs to compare & I found Onk dont crank at higher vol.They sound sweat.I have Tany F1 syst.

Though the 705 is a good amp, the price differential is too much for very little additional advantages and features. It does not even provide upscaling while all other models at that price range do.

sorry but 705 can upscale to 720p.
"The shop" at Andheri told me 606/706 is not worth if you want to upscale SD to 1080p.

Hi all, spoke to Raghu (Decibels) he was kind enough to bring Yam 663 to my residence and hooked it up for a test run.Without much tweaking of settings it sounded pretty decent, surround effects was good while playing the DTS demo disc.Would have liked sound to be a bit more dynamic though.

Then went to Pro fx to check out Denon 1909 post calibration.It did sound marginally better but I'm not too convinced.So I guess Deon is out of my consideration list.

Visited Onkyo showroom, it looked like a stocking ware house than a show room.Sales guys attitude was more like an govt employees.

The do not have any high end units for demo it seems only basic systems are hooked up.So settled for demo of 505 to get an basic idea of Onkyo sound.It was hooked onto Klipsh tower speakers.In terms of surround sound and depth of sound it was quite impressive, expect the 606 to be better (your views on this pls) but the AVR looked more like a TAKAI system than a international brand.The look is so basic and down right down market it comes in a cheap gold / dull silver unit.Too bad since it sounds good.

So finally its a choice between Yamaha and Onkyo for me, I'm still confused cos it was not an apple to apple comparison.Not sure how 606 will sound also how it will sound paired with my Wharfedale.Yamaha's X factor is what is influencing my decision more than sound.

Have any of you personally heard the 606 ? is it better than Yam 663 ?? What Hi Fi has rated Yam 763 as a winner but couldn't find their review on 663.Features on 663 is good too_Overall both options are good.Will take a call next few days.

Hi deepakpraveen,

I have been told by one of our forum member Mr.Ramesh who owns Onkyo 606 has a very bad upconversion of video to HD and also the system gets heated up even placing it on top of a rack without any enclosure.

I am using Yamaha 661 which passes thro 1080p and upconverts SD signels into HD signels (via. component output) which is really very good without any distortion in the picture quality.

Sound quality of both Movies and Music are really nice.

Since Yamaha 663 is the current model with Full HD Upconvertion of all signels which I have auditioned at Decebels and Torvin showrooms I personally feel you can go for 663 without doubt.

Moreover Yamaha has the reputation for producing Solid AV receivers that will serve you for years to come without any problem (which they are doing for me).

I suggest you go to Torvin show room (Power Electronics) where they are giving good discount on many yamaha products because of March year end sale ( Including for 663 and 863)

Hope this will help you to decide

Regards

sub

Hi All,visited another dealer today he had hooked up Denon 1909 to Wharfedale diamond 9 set up, what a difference it made.Compared to the demo at pro fx this set up sounded far superior.

But I still feel Denon 1909 is not a great option for watching movies 'cos the sound is not very dynamic / deep.The surround effects was much better than the polk audio set up at pro fx.

SUB, thanks for your feedback on Yamaha.Am keenly considering it and Onkyo.I am not looking at upconversion since I am planning to pick up a blueray soon.

Since my requirement is ONLY movies and not for music I'm going around in circles...the advantages others see over Onkyo does not seem positive to me.Only wished the damn thing looked a bit more decent

Like BAZEE says.....

the heart does not miss
what the mind does not know;

but the heart will yearn for
what the mind rejects.

Any views on PIONEER 1018 ? costs only marginally higher than the current set but specs look impressive.

Any views on PIONEER 1018 ? costs only marginally higher than the current set but specs look impressive.

Deepak, Deon, Onkyo and Yamaha are far ahead of Pioneer in the AVR race. As I had written elsewhere, it is not certain what Pioneer's policies towards consumer electronics are. They have mentioned a few times that they are exiting out of the business. Get that confirmed or denied before looking at Pioneer.

Cheers

Hi deepakpraveen,

Since Yamaha 663 is the current model with Full HD Upconvertion of all signels which I have auditioned at Decebels and Torvin showrooms I personally feel you can go for 663 without doubt.

sub

Sorry again,but 663 cant upscale at all.

Sorry again,but 663 cant upscale at all.

Spiro, you are getting confused between upconversion and upscaling. In upconversion all analog signals are routed to the HDMI output. In upscaling, the image is scaled from one resolution to another.

Cheers

Spiro, you are getting confused between upconversion and upscaling. In upconversion all analog signals are routed to the HDMI output. In upscaling, the image is scaled from one resolution to another.

Cheers

Sorry ,I read it wrongly.

SUB, thanks A TON for your invitation I am making one last demo session today, if I am still confused will trouble you at your place.

Frankly to me sound wise Onkyo and Yamaha are pretty close, but Onkyo feels a bit more dynamic which I feel would be ideal for movies.But on all other counts (reliability , strong AV brand etc) Yamaha scores way ahead.

C net reviews rate Onkyo at 3.5 stars (very good) against Yams 3 stars (good) also C net says "As much as we liked the RX-V663's sound, overall we felt like most buyers would be better off with the competing Pioneer VSX-1018AH or the Onkyo TX-SR606" WHICH IS WHY I'm CONFUSED AS HELL !!!!!

Yamaha RX-V663 AV receiver reviews - CNET Reviews

Guys I really need to thank all of you for your guidance, I have never ever been so confused of any tech purchases I have made till date your inputs really are very helpful.

C net reviews rate Onkyo at 3.5 stars (very good) against Yams 3 stars (good) also C net says "As much as we liked the RX-V663's sound, overall we felt like most buyers would be better off with the competing Pioneer VSX-1018AH or the Onkyo TX-SR606" WHICH IS WHY I'm CONFUSED AS HELL !!!!!

[....

Take c-net ratings with a bag of salt. They are not accurate on top of being a bit biased like most others. Actual users provide the best feedback and this forum has many such....

Deepak, different magazines side with different manufacturers depending upon the advertisement they get. You can never depend upon a magazine's review completely. Many other magazines have praised the *63 series of Yamaha to the sky and have said that Yamaha has taken sound reproduction to a new l;evel with this series.

The 606 has one major issue. When you use video pass through, it also passes audio through to the TV. In other words, if you are using a HDMI connection, you also have to use a optical or coaxial digital for sound processing.

Though I use a Onkyo myself, I feel Yamaha is way better off in ease of use and quality of sound. This is specifically at the price class of the 663, 606 etc.

Cheers

I think we have some misunderstanding here, the Denon AVR-1909 is a winner in its price category, if you look up all over the net it has won several awards. The one thing that denon has going for it is that anything sounds sweeter on it compared to the Yamaha and the Onkyo, Onkyo is ok for the punch, but the sweet sound is Denon all the way. By the way the place you went to for a demo called Profx was the distributor for Denon, they have been kicked out and replaced by some comapny called KEI from bombay. Profx is struggling to sell old soiled stocks and spares in the market and to unaware customers. I reccomend you visit some other dealer for Denon, one who is authorised by KEI.

YAMAHA IT IS......Hi all I have decided to go for Yamaha 663 should be picking it up in a couple of days.Thanks a ton for your recommendations.

Hi , could you pls let me know where I can pick up a good quality DTS demo disc in Chennai ? Been trying to source one for quite some time now, managed a local one but sounds quite bad.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back