Onkyo 705/ Oppo 981 HDMI Issue - need help with

Anands123

:confused:

I have connected my Onkyo 705 with Oppo 981 through HDMI and Coaxial. A Samsung 5 series 46" is connected to the Onkyo through HDMI.

I have a strange problem for which I need help. While I choose the HDMI connection between Onkyo and Oppo, the Onkyo display says "DVD No Signal" till such time the TV is switched on. The moment TV is switced on, both audio and video signal shows up on TV and well as indicated on the Onkyo Display.

This is OK for me, except while I want to listen just to 2.1 music without video. Ofcourse, the option is to use the coaxial connection, which I do for now. (Or turn on the TV, which is a waste of power). The real issue is that the coaxial connection will not work for SACDs and DVD-A and I dont want to spend on 6 RCA cables which is an alternate that I am aware for this format.

However, this problem goes away if I keep the "HDMI Monitor" setting to "no" in Onkyo 705. But, this means that no video signal can be output from Onkyo to TV and is a larger issue as I have my other components connected via the Onkyo to the TV. These are Tata Sky and another low end DVD player.

The onkyo mannual says something (which I don't fully understand) to the effect that this problem will happen and is natural.

Does that mean one cannot use HDMI between the Oppo and Onkyo for just audio.
Will I have to keep the TV on even if the format is just audio?
Do I have to necessarily go for a co-axial or analog connection (for SACD) for sound and avoid HDMI?
Does this sound like a problem and if yes, is the problem with Oppo or Onkyo?

Appreciate your thoughts

Forgot to add that I used to have the Cambridge Audio DV99 before this. While it did play music through HDMI, with TV off and HDMI Monitor setting set to 'yes', it had another issue of audio drop-outs. Sometimes, the audio was fully dead. Just making this point for what ever it is worth.

Today, I have written to Oppo and the Onkyo Distributor in India to see if they have any suggestions.

Here is what Oppo had to say when I wrote to them.

This is an issue with your Onkyo 705. You will want to update the firmware on this receiver to the latest release, as it resolves issues related to internal HDMI and HDCP handshaking.

Alternatively, you can disconnect the HDMI cable from the receiver to the display to resolve a signal with the DVD player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
2629B Terminal Blvd.
Mountain View, CA 94043
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

I am going to hunt for firm ware now. Any idea, how to instal a firmware on Onkyo 705? Which CD format to use and file format assuming I get a download from the net? Thanks

I am going to hunt for firm ware now. Any idea, how to instal a firmware on Onkyo 705? Which CD format to use and file format assuming I get a download from the net? Thanks

Anand, I am not sure we can do the upgrade ourselves. I feel only the service center can do that. It has to be done through the RS-232C port and needs a special mechanism.

If you are not able to find the details, please let me know. I will call my service center in Dubai and check with them . They are helpful.

Cheers

Hi Venkat,

It's not time to ask for your help, bcos after a long drawn attempt by Onkyo India, they have said that the only solution is for me to turn the HDMI Montior to 'NO' each time I am playing pure music from DVD player and continue with TV off. This is strange as that should not be the case. The issue is mainly when I have to play SACD or DVD-A as I have indicated before. Can you please check with your contacts in Onkyo, Dubai if the issue can be resolved with a firmware upgrade? Incidentally, this issue is also mentioned in the Onkyo mannual which the local guys pointed out and made it a non-issue. Would be grateful for your help. Thanks

Hi Anand, venkat

Not sure if the issue has been resolved or not, however, wrt Onkyo firmware updates, they treat it as "Use At Your Own Risk" issue. I have seen many experienced people try to update and fail on a few occasions. Then you tend to kill the AVR and your dealer may or may not take up on fixing it without lots of money.

To make matters worse, there are tons of beta versions of the firmware going aroung. So, check your firmware version by following the following steps and then work with your dealer

To Check FW Version:

1) Turn on Receiver
2) HOLD down the "Display" button and press "Standby" button once.
3) Release the "Display" button.
4) Press the + or keys to cycle forward and backward through all the firmware display pages.

With regards to HDMI issues with Oppo, this is because fo the implementation of the handshaking between source and display components. I personally had issues when connecting Oppo directly to the TV. The main reason is that HDMI protocol is not finalized and every manufacturer implements as they please. In my view Component Video offers a better option though you end up using 3 cables.

Finally re: analogue audio. There is no other way to get consistent reliable output using the Oppo than the RCA cables. period. HDMI is too buggy in close to 90% of cases on AVRs, DVDs, PS3 and TVs. I have put together many (> 25 HT systems) for myself and friends and this is one thing that stumps me as every component behaves differently.

Also the days of having video and audio together consistently through the cable is many years away and until then component with toslink, coax or analogue cables rule.

Anand, I am not sure we can do the upgrade ourselves. I feel only the service center can do that. It has to be done through the RS-232C port and needs a special mechanism.

If you are not able to find the details, please let me know. I will call my service center in Dubai and check with them . They are helpful.

Cheers

I feel when HDMI video option is on,then Onkyo certainly looking for Display.
(as we asked HDMI vid)This is normal.

Secondly if there is OSD function(on screen display)you need to off it.
Your Onkyo is listening your commands only.

So you have to keep HDMI vid off to listen only music.

Last edited:
To make matters worse, there are tons of beta versions of the firmware going aroung. So, check your firmware version by following the following steps and then work with your dealer

I agree and that is why I advised Anand to get the upgrade done by a dealer.

With regards to HDMI issues with Oppo, this is because fo the implementation of the handshaking between source and display components. I personally had issues when connecting Oppo directly to the TV. The main reason is that HDMI protocol is not finalized and every manufacturer implements as they please. In my view Component Video offers a better option though you end up using 3 cables.

Yes HDMI handshaking is an issue but that is supposed to be resolved with the 1.3a version. I had a slightly different issue with my Oppo 983 and Onkyo 875. The Oppo will work very well with all TVs using the HDMI. But the minute I connect it to the 875 through an HDMI and the 875 to the TV through another HDMI, all I would get is a 'HDMI 1080i' signal on the right top corner of the TV. Nothing else. Component worked every well. After a lot of heated exchanges with Onkyo Global Service, I took it back to Dubai from where I had purchased it. At first they tried all the upgrade options, and then said the HDMI card was loose!!!.

I am not sure if that is true or they quietly replaced a faulty part.

Cheers

Hi Guys,

I have been away for a while and just caught up. Alas, I have now learnt to live with using coaxial for pure audio and hdmi for video+Audio. And yes, I do turn the HDMI Monitor to Off when I have to pass pure audio through the HDMI with the TV off. Like in the case of SACDs. My only point is that if HDMI has the capablity to carry only audio, and if an ONKYO AVR is meant to be for Audio and Video (as the name suggests), why have a setting change necessary to use one of them in isolation. Beats common sense! Else I am quite happy with the porducts as such. Thanks all

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back