Onkyo AVR TX-NR 609 owner 's Thread

007india

Hi All,

This thread is regarding issues surrounding onkyo 609 AVR. I can see so many new indidual posts which makes the search difficult. I would request the admin to move all the relevant post to this thread.

I have Onkyo 609 with wharfedale 9.6 for front and Jamo A102 for the Cen, sub, surr & Front high. I have compared Onkyo with yamaha 671.

I need help from some one to decide the cross over fre for surr & front high.

I will suggest to keep a common CO(say 80Hz)for all ch to get smooth surround effect.Let the sub handle the lowers.If sats can accept 80Hz that well,keep them as 100/120Hz.

I will suggest to keep a common CO(say 80Hz)for all ch to get smooth surround effect.Let the sub handle the lowers.If sats can accept 80Hz that well,keep them as 100/120Hz.

yes, you are right, I can keep 80Hz for all channels and sub @ 120. I'm experiencing another issue when i'm playing VCDs. All connections are through HDMI.

The sound qualiy is 2ch and video quality is limited to the clarity of analog cable TV, but its a original VCD. How can I improve the sound and video quality? I cycled different movie and music modes, it doesn't work. When I use a DVD everything is fine.

Video can be improved by upscaling it,609 can upscale to 4k.Dont expect a lot as VCDs are recorded in lower resolutions.Try DVDs as 609 is a surround AVR.Why to play 2ch stuff?

Sound can be converted to 5.1 with Dolby prologic or 5ch stereo.It will not improve original sound though.

Video can be improved by upscaling it,609 can upscale to 4k.Dont expect a lot as VCDs are recorded in lower resolutions.Try DVDs as 609 is a surround AVR.Why to play 2ch stuff?

Sound can be converted to 5.1 with Dolby prologic or 5ch stereo.It will not improve original sound though.

input is 2ch and output is set as THX cinema or PLIIz high. Still its poor.

HI All,

I have files with different AV formats. My DVD player can't play them all. So I think the only option is to pair my laptop with AVR. I have a VGA port in my laptop which I can connect to AVR (RGB) and for audio I can use the single 3.5mm jack. But not sure if I will get a better sound. I don't have a HDMI or S-video out port in my laptop.

Appreciate if any one can provide some insigths in to this issue.

HI All,

I have files with different AV formats. My DVD player can't play them all. So I think the only option is to pair my laptop with AVR. I have a VGA port in my laptop which I can connect to AVR (RGB) and for audio I can use the single 3.5mm jack. But not sure if I will get a better sound. I don't have a HDMI or S-video out port in my laptop.

Appreciate if any one can provide some insigths in to this issue.

You won't get surround sound using the 3.5mm out of your laptop. You can consider an external sound card with optical or spdif for surround sound. But, a media player is better for your use.

input is 2ch and output is set as THX cinema or PLIIz high. Still its poor.

PL IIz takes some of the front speakers sound and matrixes it into height channels. If you don't have height speakers, then i would suggest not using it.

I would suggest you run the audyssey setup first. then check the distances that it set. As for 2 channel movies, select a filter PLIIx Movies. That will matrix the 2 channel to 5.1/7.1. I use it for all my movies.

Hi All,

This thread is regarding issues surrounding onkyo 609 AVR. I can see so many new indidual posts which makes the search difficult. I would request the admin to move all the relevant post to this thread.

I have Onkyo 609 with wharfedale 9.6 for front and Jamo A102 for the Cen, sub, surr & Front high. I have compared Onkyo with yamaha 671.

I need help from some one to decide the cross over fre for surr & front high.

Do all your speakers have the same impedence at 6 Ohms since the Wharfedale Diamonds (9 and 10 series) are 6 ohms speakers. What about your Jamos?

THX settings recommend to set the crossover frequency for all speakers at 80Hz.

Sorry, I don't understand media player in this context. could you pls elaborate?

A Media player will play almost all sorts of file formats. Those players will have both coaxial and HDMI out which u can directly connect them with your AVR via HDMI cable. Since u have mentioned that you are not able to play some files from your DVD player and your laptop dosent have HDMI out. So I suggested a media player.

You won't get surround sound using the 3.5mm out of your laptop. You can consider an external sound card with optical or spdif for surround sound. But, a media player is better for your use.

pls elaborate on media player (any web links for models and price). I understand its a hardware.

A Media player will play almost all sorts of file formats. Those players will have both coaxial and HDMI out which u can directly connect them with your AVR via HDMI cable. Since u have mentioned that you are not able to play some files from your DVD player and your laptop dosent have HDMI out. So I suggested a media player.

Good, if media player can play all formats, then I will consider it. In future (atleast in next 2-3years) can I update(firmware) the media player, then can I expect more formats it can support. i can see that Samsung(BD) BD-C5500 can play variety of formats, but it costs around 10k, how a media player is different from this?

Do all your speakers have the same impedence at 6 Ohms since the Wharfedale Diamonds (9 and 10 series) are 6 ohms speakers. What about your Jamos?

THX settings recommend to set the crossover frequency for all speakers at 80Hz.

yes, my jamo HCS A102 is of 6ohm. all speakers are of 6ohm

PL IIz takes some of the front speakers sound and matrixes it into height channels. If you don't have height speakers, then i would suggest not using it.

I would suggest you run the audyssey setup first. then check the distances that it set. As for 2 channel movies, select a filter PLIIx Movies. That will matrix the 2 channel to 5.1/7.1. I use it for all my movies.

1) i have front high speakers connected.

2) Ok, I will run the audyssey setup. But from the web I can see the automated setup is a crap. Also as per user manual, it refers to force certain settings manually. The autom settings will work only if your rooms are designed as per HT setup whichis not there in my case, I have a big hall but its connected to L shape dining room.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back