Onkyo AVR TX-NR 609 owner 's Thread

Good, if media player can play all formats, then I will consider it. In future (atleast in next 2-3years) can I update(firmware) the media player, then can I expect more formats it can support. i can see that Samsung(BD) BD-C5500 can play variety of formats, but it costs around 10k, how a media player is different from this?

There are many models you can search in the media players thread also. I use Asus Oplay Mini HD media player which i bough for 3600 rs. Now an updated model of Asus oplay mini plu has been released which has a feature of internet connectivity. Connect your hard disc or USB pen drive to the media player and play your hd videos in ease. It also plays pictures and music also. There are many models available in the market. You can check here for som models. I bought here only...

GADGETS - Media Players - www.deltapage.com

3d Media players also available now Xtreamer.Net - Home...

1) i have front high speakers connected.

2) Ok, I will run the audyssey setup. But from the web I can see the automated setup is a crap. Also as per user manual, it refers to force certain settings manually. The autom settings will work only if your rooms are designed as per HT setup whichis not there in my case, I have a big hall but its connected to L shape dining room.

Audyssey does two things.
1. When you run the automated setup, it measures the room response and output from each of the speaker. It uses that data to set the loudness level for each speaker, distance of the speakers from listening position and crossover for subwoofer. No matter what the receiver/room is - this has to be set for all in the room. Some people do it using the SPL meter, but the automated setup can do it very well.
2. Using the measured info above Audyssey also does the room correction applying EQ. This is where most people like Audyssey or hate it. You can choose to turn it off if you dont like it.

You will still get the benefit of correct speaker levels and distance by running the automated setup. It primarily helps such a way that each speaker is at same loudness level and the sound reaches at the same time at listening position.

There are many models you can search in the media players thread also. I use Asus Oplay Mini HD media player which i bough for 3600 rs. Now an updated model of Asus oplay mini plu has been released which has a feature of internet connectivity. Connect your hard disc or USB pen drive to the media player and play your hd videos in ease. It also plays pictures and music also. There are many models available in the market. You can check here for som models. I bought here only...

GADGETS - Media Players - www.deltapage.com

3d Media players also available now Xtreamer.Net - Home...

Thanks, I have checked about the media players from deltapage url. In that I got a doubt that, in future if any new popular formats be launched, then should I buy another media player to play them or I can update the current media player via a firmware update to get the new formats?

Right now, I have some MP4 video files which play very well from my laptop, but it doesn't play from my DVD player even though it can play MP4 files. So I see that having a laptop connected to TV via HDMI will simply be a future proof. But its expensive.

I have also found USB to HDMI converter which simply gets the AV from laptop and transmits to my AVR.

pls provide your thoughts.

Audyssey does two things.
1. When you run the automated setup, it measures the room response and output from each of the speaker. It uses that data to set the loudness level for each speaker, distance of the speakers from listening position and crossover for subwoofer. No matter what the receiver/room is - this has to be set for all in the room. Some people do it using the SPL meter, but the automated setup can do it very well.
2. Using the measured info above Audyssey also does the room correction applying EQ. This is where most people like Audyssey or hate it. You can choose to turn it off if you dont like it.

You will still get the benefit of correct speaker levels and distance by running the automated setup. It primarily helps such a way that each speaker is at same loudness level and the sound reaches at the same time at listening position.

ok! I will run the Audyssey setup, right now I haven't connected my sub as my front floorstanders are really pumping thump bass. I have corrected the speaker levels by setting the speaker calibration via remote, sitting from the listening position.

Hi friend,

Most of the players will provide firmware updates for these kind of issues but we cant tell its sure that they will release firmwares for file formats. it depends on the hardware used in the player also. If you are going to use laptop via HDMI its well and good. Or otherwise i can say the best option will be HTPC. This will be perfect solution for all your answers. You dont need a bluray player also, since u can buy a bluray drive and fit with the HTPC for playing bluray disc. If u have laptop now with HDMI then no problem at all u can use your laptop for playing those mp4 files...

You can check our forum members threads from Sam9, Baijuxaviour. Who have done some excellent DIY HTPC. Checkout Sam9 thread for HTPC queries he has done a great job on that... He might help you if you have plans of building a HTPC...

Thanks

Thanks, I have checked about the media players from deltapage url. In that I got a doubt that, in future if any new popular formats be launched, then should I buy another media player to play them or I can update the current media player via a firmware update to get the new formats?

Right now, I have some MP4 video files which play very well from my laptop, but it doesn't play from my DVD player even though it can play MP4 files. So I see that having a laptop connected to TV via HDMI will simply be a future proof. But its expensive.

I have also found USB to HDMI converter which simply gets the AV from laptop and transmits to my AVR.

pls provide your thoughts.

To All 609 owners:

1) yesterday, while I was setting the remote codes for TV and my STB, my AVR started to create a 'hizzzzzzzzz' sound in some audio modes like 'theater dimensional'. I don't hear the sound for all modes only for few of them. is it a static problem? I did the power drain on the receiver several times, but the Hizzzzz sound remains same.
I found the same prob reported by others in AVSforum.

2) yesterday i ran the Audyssey setup to see if it benefits. I ran the full setup and here are the results

a) Cross over for front/Surround/cente/front high: Fullband / 100 / 120 / 150Hz
2) Subwoofer: NONE (I haven't connected since my Wharf 9.6 fronts are doing a very good job)
b) Calib front/Surround/cente/front high: -3 / 0/ -2 / 0 db which I modified to 0/+3 / +2/ +3
c) Dynamic volume is set to high, but I changed to 'light'. Actually setting Dynamic volume to med or high reduces the sound depth. So keeping it to low or off is recommended.
d) Dy-eq / Music opti/ Loudeness/ panorama: Set to ON.

The Hizz sound is from all the speakers?. I also had that problem once with my Pioneer AVR. After I changed my Step down transformer to 1kva its has vanished. This might come due to power fluctuation also...But i am not sure..

The Hizz sound is from all the speakers?. I also had that problem once with my Pioneer AVR. After I changed my Step down transformer to 1kva its has vanished. This might come due to power fluctuation also...But i am not sure..

The Hizz sound is audible only for sound modes other than Stereo. I'm not sure which step down transformer you are talking about. Our apartment has a exclusive transformer to take care of voltage fluctuations. Also, I have put 1.2kva v-guard stabiliser and a spike buster. But the sound comes only recently.

I have to check if it comes from all speakers. But I'm sure it comes from the front.

Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Channel Network THX Certified A/V Receiver:
In amazon.com
List Price: $599.00
Sale: $376.97 Free Shipping
Deal Price:
You Save: $222.03 (37%)
Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-NR609 7.2 Channel Network THX Certified A/V Receiver: Electronics

My friend is coming from US, I asked to get this. Which speakers can be combined with NR-609. budget is 20k(expecting 5.1).

Praveen.

If its an US model, then its 110v 60Hz model. How you have planned to fix the electrical issues. I think it doesn't have auto voltage switch facility.

Let me know what speakers(5.1) are available under 20k.

Yeah... I should Buy a step down transformer.... I saw in one of the threads in this forum.. I hope it should not cost more than 3 to 5k.

I am newbie on setting up HT. So I am not aware what speakers are available for 20k. Actually my total budget was 25K for HT, But somehow after seeing NR-609 offer, it looks good, my friend can carry tat.. actually he can't carry the home theatre... as it will be very heavy. otherwise i would have gone for HT-5400.

Otherwise please suggest on something... Like as of now I will buy front speakers... later I will add one by one..

Praveen.

Yeah... I should Buy a step down transformer.... I saw in one of the threads in this forum.. I hope it should not cost more than 3 to 5k.

I am newbie on setting up HT. So I am not aware what speakers are available for 20k. Actually my total budget was 25K for HT, But somehow after seeing NR-609 offer, it looks good, my friend can carry tat.. actually he can't carry the home theatre... as it will be very heavy. otherwise i would have gone for HT-5400.

Otherwise please suggest on something... Like as of now I will buy front speakers... later I will add one by one..

Praveen.
I have got a source for the xformer for Rs.1350 only (1kVA).

Praveen.

For speakers, 1st you have to fix your budget before doing the audition. if your total budget is around 25k for a 5.1 setup, then you can restrict yourself to satellite/cube speakers. I would suggest you to use a powerful front speakers like Wharfedale 9.6 (by this you can omit sub as the fronts will deliver enough BASS). for the rest you can buy a 5.1 packag from same brand like jamo (in my case). Onkyo 609 is a medium stage amp, yet its very powerful for home use, so you need to use a speaker which is 150W or above to justify.

Just my thoughts.

But do a good audition and see what you like. Always take your own sound track in WAV format or a audio CD which you are familiar with and ask the guy to play it in 2ch mode in receiver.

I have the following issues with my AVR and I would like to know if the latest firmware solves it.

1) When I listen to MP3 file played from USB drive with PLII music mode selected (5.1ch), I want to adjust the BASS from remote. Normally 1 will use the Home (audio) key which is found above to PLAY button in remote. To my surprise the OSD hangs and I can't even use the return butom in remote. I don't know if its bug or feature. But I can able to adjust bass from AVR (Tone button). When I'm in any other sound mode like Neo6 I can adjust BASS from remote.

2) I'm getting some 'hizz' sound while playing files. The sound is proportionally high at high volumes. But is not heard when I use PURE DIRECT button.

Hi,

Am not sure what the problem is ,

Try to check all the speaker cables are connected properly and all electrical connections are ok.
yes you can go ahead and install new firmware and check if it can fix the problem ,i have upgraded to latest available firmware without any problem.only make sure power should not go off while upgrading.

BR

Last edited:
Hi,

Am not sure what the problem is ,

Try to check all the speaker cables are connected properly and all electrical connections are ok.
yes you can go ahead and install new firmware and check if it can fix the problem ,i have upgraded to latest available firmware without any problem.only make sure power should not go off while upgrading.

BR

assuming you replied to my post.

My firmware is upto date. Still I can see the OSD freezing issue persists.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back