Onkyo Cassette Deck

Hi guys,
Venkat i suggest u avoid the commercially used deck.
Must be used for ages and probably abused too. Unless the guy is parting with it for something like 5K! These guys often put in junk tapes and never bother to maintain the machine. Ages ago there were 2 recording outlets here in bbay and they changed their decks every year. I was the fool who bought a technics 3 head from 'Melody music' and suffered ever after!!!

Persi u can borrow a demag from me. Why waste money.
But if u must have one Rhythm House will order(if they dont have one in stock i.e) a TDK cassette type demag for u. When i had last seen it the price quoted was 1995/-

Regards

Haha! I was trying to preserve some sanity around here, but there you have it, heart wins out over head - again! :)

TIme to come clean - for the record, I would have paid much more if the goods were worthy. After all, it is the Rolls Royce of tape decks.

Good luck, and keep us updated on how it goes..

Dinyaar, I was told the last piece did go for 10K (most likely a 'hick' bought it after you turned it down).

Hi Persi,
Seeing yours and Dinyaar's response, I found the Hick's number and gave him a call. The wretched fellow is abroad at the moment so I guess I'll have to wait till he comes back.I hope he still has it. Cheers,
Sanjay

I have an Onkyo Single cassette deck - 185 Mk II (That's what I remember) bought in 1997 and mated it to my Denon AVR 2106 and I would rate its performance very decent.

I still play an over and over played Fleetwood Mac Greatest Hits cassette with Dolby B and if you tune the head right, the sound stage and balance and tonal quality is still intact.

This particular deck also features Dolby HX Pro which does noise reduction on non dolby recorded cassettes too - and it works.

Lastly, I have recorded from some LPs on metal tapes on this deck and the recording is very faithful. I cant remember where you will find metal tapes today but they do most justice to this deck.

Of course if your main objective is to play your old cassettes the way you always played them, this deck is good.

Costed me 8k back then so the price was sweet too!

Anytime. Just name a reasonable price, Dinyaar. I will pick it up. Nakamichi's are collectors items.

I have located a recording shop in Chennai who has a Nakamichi. I plan to visit him after I return from Coimbatore, and grab his piece. I saw a couple of pieces in Ritchie Street. Unfortunately my face is too open. The shopkeeper saw the glint in my eyes, and tripled his price. As I mentioned before I plan to go there again with unshaven face, and torn clothes. What all one has to do to get what he wants !!!!!!

Cheers
Are you still in Chennai?? Do you know any NAK technician??

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back