Onkyo cassette decks 211 vs 255

anm

Hi
A new onkyo 255 double cassette deck is available for 15.5k from onkyo showroom at cr park.
Another used onkyo 211 double cassette deck is available.

Which one do you suggest I should go for?
I know the first reaction - neither! Go for a Nak. However, after a long wait, I am not sure when can I get a "working" nak. Need help from this community to buy one!
How many cassettes do I have? Not many. But I am looking again at this community to help me get some good ones. I have spend a couple of thousand rupees on some cassettes, including some from Ravi Shankar, and of course, many hindi music soundtracks.

Well, till the time that happens, which one should I go for?

update - I have taken the 211 and cassettes are sounding quite nice in my system. Have not yet done a 1 to 1 with a CD as yet.

I paid 6.5k. Considering all those naks people are buying everywhere, it is quite steep I think. However, it is better than waiting forever, or buying something I can't see before buying. Cosmetically, the condition is excellent, and sound quality is good too. I tested dubbing etc as well.

now looking for some good recorded cassettes. Any forum member is free to offload his cassette collection.

maybe you need to quote a price for someone to take the bait. Cassette like good CDs are becoming scarce and people with decent collections dont have lots of intentions to part with them easily.

By the way, how come you decided to go fro the cassette player now? isn't CD a worthwhile alternative for the type of content you are looking at?

My Bad Luck here, I had a huge collection of around 2000 audio cassettes with me but while shifting I gave them all to my Driver as I didn't had a cassette player at my player nor in the Car, so they were pretty useless to me and I didn't had any place to store them too.

my car has an alpine head unit factory fitted. It is kind of ancient but has cd changer (can't play mp3 cds!) controls. I had to get the cd changer separately. The head unit was supposed to play fm or cassettes only :) But it plays cassettes quite nice and I had some cassettes in my car even before I purchased this unit.

Then, there is one shop in noida that had good cassettes brand new. I spent around 2k to buy some cassettes including Bhimsen at London Hall, couple of Ravishankar's etc.
One of my friends in Lko has not yet disposed his vast collection, and I hope he will give it to me ;)

I have been hearing so much about decent cassettes recently that I had to buy one :) Maybe Asit can send 2-3 cassettes to me (dubbed if not the originals) :eek:hyeah:.

Maybe Asit can send 2-3 cassettes to me (dubbed if not the originals) :eek:hyeah:.

Congratulations Anant for your recent purchase of the cassette deck. Recently I am spending less and less time at the forum. Just saw your thread and my reference therein.

I definitely can make copies from my collection and send you. Only problem is the availability of blank cassettes. I only have a few metal blank cassettes left with me that I do not want to part with (I hope you understand, because these are almost impossible to get any more and I need to keep them for any future need, because I have 2 working decks). Moreover, I am not sure if your deck can play metal cassettes.

If you can send me a few normal bias or chrome bias cassettes, I can certainly record music from my collection and send you back. In Kolkata I do not know of any place where these cassettes are available at a fair price. I saw one store in Metro gali selling normal bias blank audio cassettes (TDK) a few months ago, but their prices were absurdly high. I do not even know what is a fair price for these now.

Regards.

ok - I will try to find out. How to figure out whether the deck will play metal cassettes? Are there pre recorded cassettes on metal?

Will also look out if blank metal/ normal cassettes are available.

In Kolkata I do not know of any place where these cassettes are available at a fair price. I saw one store in Metro gali selling normal bias blank audio cassettes (TDK) a few months ago, but their prices were absurdly high. I do not even know what is a fair price for these now.

Regards.

Loads of these cassettes used to be available at Fancy Market. I was a regular buyer till about 5 years back. That time they had ready stock of all varieties TDK D90 / B90, Maxell Chromes and Metal Cassettes. You try them out if they still keep stock of the same.

ok so I went cassette shopping again and spent 1k. Out of this, Rs 250 went to a single blank cassette. I am not sure if I paid right, but 250 is too much for a single cassette. It is a TDK CDing II chrome 110 min cassette - tape made in japan and cassette assembled in the US. The person quotes Rs300 for a single metal 60 min cassette - though he wasn't carrying any at that moment. I also got one TDK B60 Type 1 for Rs50 (I guess this is what is normal? - there are some T series cassettes that can be found as well)

A person I know had mentioned to me a few months ago that he had a carton of blank cassettes(imported) that he wanted to sell off.
In case you are willing to pick up the entire lot, I can ask him if they're still available.

pls do ask! you have my mobile number too :)
A person I know had mentioned to me a few months ago that he had a carton of blank cassettes(imported) that he wanted to sell off.
In case you are willing to pick up the entire lot, I can ask him if they're still available.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back