Onkyo HT-S5100 latest price?

avaneesh

dear folks,
It is indeed a treat to read all the threads in this forum and i m tankful to you all for enhancing my technical knowledge in this regard.
I stay in punjab and want to buy Onkyo -S5100. I checked up with their dealer in Jalandhar and he quoted 45K which i think was on the higher side. SO can you guys please tell me where can i get the best deal on this home theater. Location is not a problem as i can get it collected from any part of the country.
and also, if i buy a blu-ray player with DTS HD and Dolby TruHD, will it be possible to play it on this HT, as it doesn't have HDMI audio input.
Will be greatful if you guys can help me on this regards,
thanks in advance to all of you.

Yes it is 39K at Xcite. It's a good price.

But unforunately, it does not process HDMI audio. It has only HDMI pass through. It can only switch HDMI video. No upscaling.

The speakers have wooden cabinet, but I felt they are very light & poor quality. But I guess you get what you pay for....

Thanks pals for the info.But i have a doubt;if the blu ray played has dts HD and dolby truHD available,will it be possible to send the HD audio signals via coax or optical to this home theatre?

Thanks pals for the info.But i have a doubt;if the blu ray played has dts HD and dolby truHD available,will it be possible to send the HD audio signals via coax or optical to this home theatre?

No, not possible. Only HDMI.
But it seems most of the BDs have AC3 or DTS audio. HD audio is still sparingly used.
If you plan to upgrade your AVR in 3-4 years then it should not be a problem!

Last edited:
Don't the BDs have both HD and normal DD/DTS (5.1) tracks on the disc? Similar to how DVDs have both 2.* and 5.1/6.1 in most cases?

If the above is true, you can opt to play the 5.1/6.1 track rather than HD audio...

Don't the BDs have both HD and normal DD/DTS (5.1) tracks on the disc? Similar to how DVDs have both 2.* and 5.1/6.1 in most cases?

If the above is true, you can opt to play the 5.1/6.1 track rather than HD audio...

No they don't have. I've bought quite a few Blu-Ray movies from Amazon and they are only with Dolby Digital in 5.1. No DTS and no HD Audio formats. Blu-Ray means only great PQ but same SQ (well at least for now).

dear folks,
It is indeed a treat to read all the threads in this forum and i m tankful to you all for enhancing my technical knowledge in this regard.
I stay in punjab and want to buy Onkyo -S5100. I checked up with their dealer in Jalandhar and he quoted 45K which i think was on the higher side. SO can you guys please tell me where can i get the best deal on this home theater. Location is not a problem as i can get it collected from any part of the country.
and also, if i buy a blu-ray player with DTS HD and Dolby TruHD, will it be possible to play it on this HT, as it doesn't have HDMI audio input.
Will be greatful if you guys can help me on this regards,
thanks in advance to all of you.

From your budget and question you are asking, I suggest to not buy a BR player now unless you have a suitable AVR. You will get the full potential of the system - at which time it is the same as regular 3K DVD player (for the most part). Once you upgrade to a decent AVR and get good speakers that will do justice to high definition audio, then get the blu ray player.

Thanks a ton guys.Appreciate ur views.
I m not looking for a blu-ray player now,but even budget blu ray players like samsung and sony, these days have dts HD and dolbyTruHD decoder.The blu- ray movies with HD audio will follow soon i guess.
Can you please tell me whats the point of a 7.1 system like 5100 when it cant play the HD contents?
And can u further advice me whats the next best HD solution on a tight budget,say 50k.

Thanks a ton guys.Appreciate ur views.
I m not looking for a blu-ray player now,but even budget blu ray players like samsung and sony, these days have dts HD and dolbyTruHD decoder.The blu- ray movies with HD audio will follow soon i guess.
Can you please tell me whats the point of a 7.1 system like 5100 when it cant play the HD contents?
And can u further advice me whats the next best HD solution on a tight budget,say 50k.

You can go for Onkyo-sr606, sr577, sr607, or yamaha rx-v663, v465, v565, v665 or Harmon Kardon AVR255 and get a good matching speaker package seperately. You can go for 5.1 speaker package initially and buy a FS later for 7.1 trueHD

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back