Onkyo or marantz for klipsch r-28f speakers

nickandre

Hi guys,
My onkyo 616 amp has started to act weirdly over the past few months, the buttons on the front panel always go and select zone 2 or pure audio when turning off, also one hdmi input port is not functional and since it does not offer 4k pass through or hdmi 2.0 i decided i might as well just upgrade since i got a 4k sony tv recently.

My speakers are the klipsch r28f towers with r25c center and r14s surrounds, the rear surrounds is a jamo s60 and sub is a svs sb1000.
The onkyo 616 performed nicely with the klipsch but I felt it a bit to bright than how it sounded on the marantz amps while demoing.

I need to go out and audition the amps but so far i have shortlisted
the
onkyo-747
Marantz- sr5010

Budget is under 80k can stretch if needed, We have an equal mix of movies and music, as with everything these days wireless is a must and hdmi 4k 2.0 is needed.

It is Marantz, I have actually heard Marantz and klipsch combo. I would say they are excellent.

I dont think onkyo would be better. Because onkyo kind of bright and klipsch also forward sound so it might be quiet bright. Marantz or denon would be best match. Or you could go with Anthem which definitely rock.

Same situation as I am in,
But my case is that I am upgrading everything ...... have Onkyo HTiB 5.1 ... bought Klipsch RP 280F floorstanding last week, will get all 7 Klipsch reference series speakers in a couple of months, my Sub will be SVS PB13 Ultra.
am going for 4K Atmos receiver, confused with Onkyo and Marantz should see what I will end up with, I will take time for a week more and then decide :)

Good Luck to you as well and keep us posted and am looking forward to what you will end up buying :D

Cheers,
Aditya

called up cinebels, he quoted 6500 buy back for my onkyo 616, that's ridiculous and 73k for sr5010.
He also stated that all av receivers have hdmi issues.
Will check with some more dealers and take a call.

So far im looking to steer away from onkyo as my past two onyo had the same front button issues, input selector activates zone2 or zone 3 and power button activates pure audio the issue crops up after some months.

He also stated that all av receivers have hdmi issues.
Will check with some more dealers and take a call.
I dont think marantz has more HDMI issues than Onkyo.MZ audio can service them in case.Many FM are happy with marantz and have hardly any issue.

yes exactly what i felt, read quiet a number of threads and most of them have had less to no issues with marantz.

Hi

Marantz is good....dolby atmos will come as an upgrade later for the 5010....if budget is a challenge, look at preowned section or hifiads...there is a 5008 on sale which should work out...choice is urs....all the best...

well i called up a few dealers they told me 6010 is some 95k and 5010 is about 75k as per specs i see only a couple of differences is it worth it?
oh and by the way the onkyo 616 wont turn on it just keeps clicking, is it worth repairing or just scrap it?
called onkyo service they said the guy who handles repairs is on leave till saturday and only once they open and check can they give an estimate.

Hi nickandre

the AVRs which are being sold today are expensive as they have the latest gimmicks which you may use or not....if you want a Marantz AVR and open to owning a pre owned one...there is a 5008 available on HiFi Ads.....it should work for you and you can add a Logitech blue tooth device for streaming if required.

Choice is yours.....

Personally myself not interested in the new dolby atmos or dts x. Instead of spending extra amount on these new audio format i would save up the amount and buy a discontinued model with dtshd & dolby tru hd uncompressed formats. A well built 5.1 or 7.1 system is better than new audio formats. You can use the saved money on doing some acoustics or buy god subwoofer. This will really enhance the movie expereince.

Hey there,
I have bought a preowned DenonX4000 from one of our forum member. The item is on its way and expected to be delivered tomorrow.
Not looking for a new Atmos AVR as it will not be useful for me in future :D
Got a very good deal, like others suggested, if the budget is tight, then go for a used AVR.
Cheers,
Aditya

just to update i picked up a marant sr6009 last week, the dealer did not have the 6010 ready in stock but had a demo unit as well 6009 besides the dolby atmos and better audessey i could not find much difference in the way they sounded.
Compared to my previous onkyo 616 this one sounds way better and clear from rock and heavy metal to trance they all sound great. couldn't have been happier.

just to update i picked up a marant sr6009 last week, the dealer did not have the 6010 ready in stock but had a demo unit as well 6009 besides the dolby atmos and better audessey i could not find much difference in the way they sounded.
Compared to my previous onkyo 616 this one sounds way better and clear from rock and heavy metal to trance they all sound great. couldn't have been happier.

Congrats !!! :clapping:

How much did it cost ??

alright folks needed some help,
My tvs hdmi inputs aren't functioning and im waiting on sony to warranty fix or replace it.
So far i can use rca and watch tv while hdmi outputs to to the avr audio signals.
However i cannot use my bluray or ps4 on rca so i was wondering is there a way to get video signals form the hdmi outputted via the rca monitor out from the amp?

Hi

You will need to check the manual......I guess that is not possible...better to read the operations manual and check.....

RCA or Component to HDMI is possible. Not the other way around.
If your BD player has Component out, you may still be able to do so; but will need 6 individual video cables if going thru AVR.

Cheers,
Raghu

My vote also goes for Marantz. I have SR6008 and really love its musical nature.

@nickandre
On the other hand, a component out (not RCA) from your AVR to the TV would be pretty much same as using HDMI in my opinion.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back