Onkyo - Singapore

pannags

Friends,

One of my uncles is traveling to Singapore and I plan to ask him to buy an Onkyo TX-SR608 for me.

I browsed the forum and found out that HiFi stuff dealers are concentrated in Sim Lim and The Adelphi.

Can anyone please let me know where I can get good deals on Onkyo? and if you have experience buying anything from dealers there? Also, can I buy AV stuff with India warranty? (I know this is possible for cameras, TVs , appliances etc.)

Many thanks in advance.

Pannags

Friends,

One of my uncles is traveling to Singapore and I plan to ask him to buy an Onkyo TX-SR608 for me.

I browsed the forum and found out that HiFi stuff dealers are concentrated in Sim Lim and The Adelphi.

Can anyone please let me know where I can get good deals on Onkyo? and if you have experience buying anything from dealers there? Also, can I buy AV stuff with India warranty? (I know this is possible for cameras, TVs , appliances etc.)

Many thanks in advance.

Pannags

Hi
I picked up my Denon 1910 frm sim lim in June..there are 3 av stores in the ground floor and they are considered
reliable...however, insist on a brand new piece, have it unpacked in ur presence and get a full demo done-particularly check if all the Hdmi ports are working and satisfy urself before putting down the money...also specifically ask for the model u want at the first go...usually results in the best price quote as the sales guy knows that u know what u want.
I bought WDTV live from an indian store in the 4th floor of simlim....found him to be reasonably transparent for accessories and computer parts...

India warranty might be difficult for most av gear....pl check if online purchase of additional warranty is allowd by the manufacturer...

Sim lim is a vfm destination...and also has a lot of spurious stuff hawked...pls be careful in ensuring what u get is what u paid for....The adelphi is more upmarket and has an excellent assortment of av brands....i spent nearly a day there..prices are a lot higher than sim lim here...

Cheers

Thanks very much Asterix.

Even thought I've been to Sim Lim way back in 2007, this was very useful to know.

My problem is that my uncle has just about 2-3 hours for me, since he is there along with his family and I presume he needs to know exactly which place to go to as well as the model.

I guess verifying the working of all ports and components may a bit challenging for him, and hence Adelphi - from how you described it (I haven't been there :( ) - seems to be a better bet.

I will leave the final decision on him, after letting him know the facts.

Have a nice day.

Pannags

how much ar u planning to save on Indian price after sacrificing warranty??

thanks

how much ar u planning to save on Indian price after sacrificing warranty??

thanks

With few exceptions aside, I doubt if A/V warranty means immediate replacement and that servicing will require weeks. Usually your dealer will tell you things are not in stock right now and you will have to wait a few months (live without any sound for a few months). If you have a good rapport, he may provide a temp replacement of whatever he has... :eek:hyeah: but I'm being pessimistic :rolleyes:

Better to use a fraction the 18K saved to pay for servicing if the contingency arises. Money saved is money earned .. :)

-G

I asked the question of how much saved becos I was contemplating getting a high end AVR like 4310/1008 etc from US with a savings of above 25k..
but I read many of these pieces can turn up to have HDMI board problem so I am considering wether it is worth the risk.

Ashishkesarwani, one of our members, spent around 40k to Onkyo india to get his grey Onkyo ?906 repaired for HDMI problem( that too with a big headache).

thanks

Hey Spidey ... Considering Bangalore prices, atleast 18 grand! Now thats a deal, isn't it!?

Have you taken all shipping (extra luggage charge), custom duties and taxes etc into consideration ?

If yes, best luck for you.

thanks

Spidey ... good pointers ... my estimate is that the customs guys may rip us off atleast 2-3k , but that is what I get back as GST tax refunds in Singapore.

Shipping is not applicable as my uncle is getting the AVR as checked-in "fragile" luggage.

Now, since we are buying from an upmarket area, I doubt if it can be compared to buying from the grey marked.

Finally, everything depends on whether my uncle finds the time to AVR shopping and if he has enough baggage capacity left for me.

If only, I was as "serious" in 2007 as I'm now about a HiFi setup. But then, I get the best of contemporary stuff now :clapping:

Cheers,
Pannaga

Better to use a fraction the 18K saved to pay for servicing if the contingency arises. Money saved is money earned .. :)

-G

That was really the thought ... However, If my uncle misses out on buying the AVR, I have a chance in Oct when he returns to Bangalore on one of his routine India trips from Dubai - which is where he resides.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back