Onkyo TX-NR1030 vs Marantz SR7009

Aquarian09

Hi guys,
I am planning for a AVR with Atmos. After the retailers suggestions and couple of friends reference I finalized on either one of these 2.
Just need some more info from you guys nad your views about both the products.
As per their Product info,

Marantz SR7009 has
Power Output (8 Ohm) 125W (0.08% @ 8 Ohm)
http://us.marantz.com/us/Products/Pa...oductId=SR7009

Onkyo TX-NR1030 has
Power Output: 185 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1% THD, 1 Channel Driven, IEC);
230 W/Ch (6 Ohms, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, JEITA)
Onkyo India

Does this mean Onkyo is better than Marantz ?
Can I finalize on Onlyo for the purchase ? They both cost almost the same in my country.

Please help me out to finalize
Cheers,
Aditya

I am not sure why Onkyo is better than Marantz here. If you can listen to them, then it would be a better bet. I normally would choose Marantz over Onkyo because
- Noticed more failures with Onkyo than Marantz though some people say that newer Marantz breaks as easily than any other brand
- Marantz AVRs are in a way tuned to perform better in 2 channel mode and it might be sufficient in a Stereo situation if it is not too demanding
- In my experince, Onkyo receivers that I tried in the past are a bit lean sounding than Marantz in the similar price range
But again, this is one man's word let us see what others got to say.

Get a demo of both an decide.
Last few years Onkyo have had issues with the HDMI board which now is apparently solved. On the other hand Marantz traditionally very reliable but off late the quality is wanting.
Audition will answer your question.

steer clear of any AVR's which do not give their power output/channel at 8 ohms and across the full 20-20khz spectrum with 2 channels driven.
Onkyo sound is dull and hollow from my experience. Marantz is better but apart from Bombay, their service reputation is sketchy.

I am not sure why Onkyo is better than Marantz here. If you can listen to them, then it would be a better bet. I normally would choose Marantz over Onkyo because
- Noticed more failures with Onkyo than Marantz though some people say that newer Marantz breaks as easily than any other brand
- Marantz AVRs are in a way tuned to perform better in 2 channel mode and it might be sufficient in a Stereo situation if it is not too demanding
- In my experince, Onkyo receivers that I tried in the past are a bit lean sounding than Marantz in the similar price range
But again, this is one man's word let us see what others got to say.

First thing SatMumbai, I didnt decide here that Onkyo is better than Marantz .... if u read totally I was asking which one is better as per your choice ... I didnt decide which is better, based on their product info, their outputs vary and Onkyo has more output than Marantz and I was asking " does that mean Onkyo is better "
thanks for the info again :)

Get a demo of both an decide.
Last few years Onkyo have had issues with the HDMI board which now is apparently solved. On the other hand Marantz traditionally very reliable but off late the quality is wanting.
Audition will answer your question.

I checked with Marantz, it was good ... gonna check with Onkyo tomorrow. I will decide then, but wanted to know what the pros here think about them both :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi

IMHO I would go for a Marantz..they are music first and perform quite well....again you need to hear it for yourself to decide and go ahead with the purchase.

Dolby Atmos I believe would be offered as an upgrade through firmware for the 7009 or 7010 series....please check with the dealer.....

All the best....

Hi

IMHO I would go for a Marantz..they are music first and perform quite well....again you need to hear it for yourself to decide and go ahead with the purchase.

Dolby Atmos I believe would be offered as an upgrade through firmware for the 7009 or 7010 series....please check with the dealer.....

All the best....

thanx efernand,
I forgot to update the thread, I have bought a preowned Denon X4000 AVR from one of our forum member in the sale from owner section.
I thought its best not to go for a Atmos AVR now, coz my plan is different for the completed room, If I pick an Atmos AVR now which is nothing less than 80K or 90K that will be not of any use for me in future, So I thought its better I go for a good preowned one :) which will be serving my purpose for time-being :)
Cheers,
Aditya

Last edited:
Hi Aquarian09

Good move indeed...technology keeps changing and so better to purchase a pre owned....you also get hands on experience with different AVRs and its performance....you can always sell It and go for something else if it does not appeal to you......enjoy....

Which speaker &sub you are going to use?

Hey kaptan,
I have Klipsch RP280F floorstanding, gonna get SVS PB13 Ultra next month.
and Klipsch RP450C Center channel along with sub, maybe next Feb I will get Klipsch RP250S Surrounds ;)

Cant wait to get them all together :D

Hi Aquarian09

Good move indeed...technology keeps changing and so better to purchase a pre owned....you also get hands on experience with different AVRs and its performance....you can always sell It and go for something else if it does not appeal to you......enjoy....

Yeah, I thought the same , and my plans r as well on a different path, so this will satisfy the requirements for now :D

Cheers,
Aditya

Hey kaptan,
I have Klipsch RP280F floorstanding, gonna get SVS PB13 Ultra next month.
and Klipsch RP450C Center channel along with sub, maybe next Feb I will get Klipsch RP250S Surrounds ;)

Cant wait to get them all together :D
Great choice. I bet they should sound great altogether. Happy listening...:clapping:

Edit:
Instead of going for a single svs 13 ultra. Why dont you try dual svs pb2000.

This will be really good.

The Problem with modern AVRs Manufacturers is that they do not give the actual wattage @ 8 ohms impedance , 20Hz-25KHz for all channels working. They give you the 2 channel ops. for a 7.1 system the when using the 5 channels it may be just 75% of the 2 channel and for 7 channels it may be as low as 50% of the 2 channel In the old days you got what they said you got. Now we dont know what they said we got.

The Problem with modern AVRs Manufacturers is that they do not give the actual wattage @ 8 ohms impedance , 20Hz-25KHz for all channels working. They give you the 2 channel ops. for a 7.1 system the when using the 5 channels it may be just 75% of the 2 channel and for 7 channels it may be as low as 50% of the 2 channel In the old days you got what they said you got. Now we dont know what they said we got.

Yeah, read the same issue many times ....... thats the reason I wanted to go for Preamp / poweramp , hope this connectivity will give good output as promised and am going for the top models in that line ;) So I hope for the best from them :)
Cheers,
Aditya

Yeah, read the same issue many times ....... thats the reason I wanted to go for Preamp / poweramp , hope this connectivity will give good output as promised and am going for the top models in that line ;) So I hope for the best from them :)
Cheers,
Aditya

Good choice, look for power amplifier from emotiva stable. They are really good for the price IMHO.

Cheers,
Aditya

yup, Pre-amp Processors connected to Mono block Power Amps are the best, Cheers. and if you have good budgets obviously EMOTIVA is the choice compared to the obscenely priced Krells, Carvers etc. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that in reality not all channels are playing all the time. Most times, it is only center channel. Only very rarely you have the LCR playing together and that too for a very short periods of time.
Another thing to consider is the sensitivity of the speakers. If you have high sensitivity speakers like the Klipschs, you will need very small amounts of power to drive them to reference SPLs (my reference is 84-85db)
See here for more details http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...s-your-speaker-need-power-vs-sensitivity.html If your speakers are 90db sensitivity, you just need 0.5 watt power to drive it to 87db SPL. Even if you assume huge dynamic range (ex: gun shots) in movies will sometimes cause SPLs to go up to 100 db, you still need 16 watts of power. Looks like receiver manufacturers are not total idiots after all.
Spend on what you need

Last edited:
Between the two, i would choose Marantz SR7009 not because Marantz is better than Onkyo in sound quality, but Marantz has Audyssey Multi EQ XT32... Juz for that feature alone, i would ditch any brand..

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back