onkyo tx sr 577+ht 728

ghaighai

Hello
I am planning to go for this combo - onkyo tx sr 577+ht 728 (5.1). i have chosen this in place of onkyo HTS 6200 home theatre 7. 1 package. though the amps are same, i perceive that HT728 has better speaker set than HTS 6200.

i am working with low budget and could not find a cheaper option.(50K)

any ideas if this is the right call. also if there could be better option than this. I looked at Denon 1910 which was rated as good on video (upconversion) performance but not great for movies. Wharfedale turned out expensive.
I see that Onkyo is not the first choice on this forum. also that oNkyo speakers (and in general HTiBs) have also been rated as ordinary.

however, i am not into music at all. please advice from this perspective.

Finally Onkyo has an offer running with Pure Acoustics sub sl8. to me this looked like pretty weak. my living room size is 15by 15ft with an additional dining attached space to it

i still have 1 day to change the order ..please advice

thanks

Hello
I am planning to go for this combo - onkyo tx sr 577+ht 728 (5.1). i have chosen this in place of onkyo HTS 6200 home theatre 7. 1 package. though the amps are same, i perceive that HT728 has better speaker set than HTS 6200.

i am working with low budget and could not find a cheaper option.(50K)

any ideas if this is the right call. also if there could be better option than this. I looked at Denon 1910 which was rated as good on video (upconversion) performance but not great for movies. Wharfedale turned out expensive.
I see that Onkyo is not the first choice on this forum. also that oNkyo speakers (and in general HTiBs) have also been rated as ordinary.

however, i am not into music at all. please advice from this perspective.

Finally Onkyo has an offer running with Pure Acoustics sub sl8. to me this looked like pretty weak. my living room size is 15by 15ft with an additional dining attached space to it

i still have 1 day to change the order ..please advice

thanks
Ghaighai,
If you are looking at movies only, you will be fine with the Onkyo Sr577. As for the speakers, I think you are mentioning Onkyo speaker package. Why dont you take it slow instead and start with a pair of Front speakers? How much is the price of the Avr? You can later add sub, centre and surround speakers from the same series to match your system.
Coupla options:
1. Q accoustics 1010i, then get the other components of 1000i package
2. Mission M33i and then m33 cinema package or mh3 sys
3. Wharfdale 9.2 and then rest of the package

Been there, done that and I suggest that you get one of the Onkyo AVRs (best choice for HT application), but stay away from their speaker packages.

Apart from the choices mentioned above, look at Energy 5.1 set also, if you want instant gratification and don't want to go the step-by-step route. Costs ~30k.

Hi,
I am in a similar situation. I don't really want the default speakers coming out of the HT6200 box. For that matter I don't think HT728 is great either. I have a set of old JBL speakers so I will probably wait for a while before buying better speakers.

btw, have you compared the SR577 specs with the HT6200 receiver? Is it really the same AV receiver?

Regards,
-kumar

AMO is around 32K speakers around another 25K. it has a decent sub 290W. other than that speakers do not look so impressive. i still have a day to decide about the speakers. i feel the Sony speakers of my Hi-Fi would sound as good as Onkyos. what do you say 120W RMS 6.5" Sub, 6.5" mid and 1.5 " tweeter. i hv 2 of these
thanks

My sincere advise is not to go for ONKYO brand speakers .aoankyo is good on receivers only. You can initially take Wharfdale Diamond series Book shelf speakers and can use them as front speakers and later as per your budjet you can purchase the other speakers of good quality but dont be in a hurry to go for package of onkyo for that matter of any brand.
By the way what is the price quote for TX SR577.

spk

AMO is around 32K speakers around another 25K. it has a decent sub 290W. other than that speakers do not look so impressive. i still have a day to decide about the speakers. i feel the Sony speakers of my Hi-Fi would sound as good as Onkyos. what do you say 120W RMS 6.5" Sub, 6.5" mid and 1.5 " tweeter. i hv 2 of these
thanks

What is the impedance of those speakers?
I think you can use those while you audition suitable speakers for your avr.

hello

finally took the plunge despite objections raised by the forum members and colleagues.
the performance of the CDs and VCDs is farily good. though the onkyo demo guy told me to buy DVDs for better quality sound etc. so now i will have to upgrade by entire library to DVDs.

Since PS3 slim will be out next month, i am think of going slow on building by libraries on DVDs..

BDs may become cheaper in near future.

any advice

thanks

hello

finally took the plunge despite objections raised by the forum members and colleagues.
the performance of the CDs and VCDs is farily good. though the onkyo demo guy told me to buy DVDs for better quality sound etc. so now i will have to upgrade by entire library to DVDs.

Since PS3 slim will be out next month, i am think of going slow on building by libraries on DVDs..

BDs may become cheaper in near future.

any advice

thanks

Ghaighai, congrats!
So you got the 577 with Onkyo speaker package?

Back