Onkyo TX SR 607 + Importing makes sense?

teky

All,

I'm planning to move into AVR route from a HTIB world. I've been reading through the forums and this kind of kindled my interest towards this. After having a read through I've kind of thinking about getting Onkyo TX SR 607. I've an option of getting this through my friend in US. It's around $450 which is definitely cheaper than India. I would like to know about the warranty & service support in India if things are acquired from the US. Also unsure about about the transformers to use as they use different voltage.

My main use of this AVR would be - 40% gaming (PS3) , 30 % movies (BD & Rips), 30% music.

Any suggestions on matching speakers would also be appreciated.

If you can bear the risk of replacing the AVR at your cost when something goes wrong, import it. However, this is the worst case scenario and AVRs do not have any moving parts and the probability of anything going bad in them is very low. The risk reward ratio is in favour of importing, if the savings is more than 30%, IMO.

You will get good quality stab+transformer around ~2000. There are no technical issues in using a converter, atleast I haven't seen any in the last 6 months that I am using it.

Once you firm up your AVR and the budget for speakers, we can look at the speakers.

If you can bear the risk of replacing the AVR at your cost when something goes wrong, import it. However, this is the worst case scenario and AVRs do not have any moving parts and the probability of anything going bad in them is very low. The risk reward ratio is in favour of importing, if the savings is more than 30%, IMO.

You will get good quality stab+transformer around ~2000. There are no technical issues in using a converter, atleast I haven't seen any in the last 6 months that I am using it.

Once you firm up your AVR and the budget for speakers, we can look at the speakers.

Skumar,
Pl share what you are using for voltage conversion. Which brand and how much it cost you?
Thanks

I got a 1KV (5amp) Stab+transformer made to order in Hyd for 1800.

Visit this thread and others on the forum for more details on a branded one.

I got an Onkyo Tx-NR801 a long time back - I got it for about about 37K when the Indian showroom quoted me 1.08L :eek:

Any ways, I've been using it with a home made step down transformer to give it the full 8 amps of power, but you could very well buy a step down transformer from the local electronic stores - these are available in just about every electronics store. Buy one with a torroidal transformer if you want to save on space. If your model has the option to switch between 220/120v then you don't even need the transformer - I know some models sold in Europe have this switch to select the voltage.

The local Onkyo showroom should be able to repair it for their standard fees if anything were to happen to it. It happened to me a couple of times when the domestic help switched the plugs in a regular power outlet instead of the step down transformer. It cost me 5K each time to have it repaired. Other than that, its been serving me great for the last few years.

HTH.

Thanks skumar & ebirbal for your reply.

607 can be currently had around 450 which roughly equates to 22K and by reading through the forums I can understand that previous model 606 is around 36 K which means the savings outshine the risks.

My overall budget would be around 60 - 80 K. Can you guys suggest me which AVR I should be going for based on my ratio in the OP. Importing the 607 can mean that I've bit more budget to spend on the speakers and cables. Denon 1910 has also got good reviews all over, should I consider this instead of Onkyo. Else should I consider buying a better AVR and slowly build the set-up. Also I'm not a true audio-phile who finds difference between PCM & Bit-stream :p

Thanks again guys for your replies.

Consider Yamaha 663 (~ 400 US$ delivered in USA), recommended as an allrounder for both music and movies in the forum... 665 (latest version) is not liked as much as the 663...

yes... yamaha is a good choice.
one user is selling his 663 in used market.

Import without any fear.

I have imported an Onkyo CD changer as well as an earlier model AV receiver.Local support is top notch, unlike Yamaha( I had a Yamaha AV receiver earlier)-Onkyo has a wholly owned subsidiary in India with branches in many locations, unlike Yamaha. Use a decent step own transformer, and you're fine. By and large I feel Onkyo buiild quality is significantly superior and US prices are a whole lot less. A useful US site to check for Onkyo/Marantz gear is accessories for less( ac4l.com).

George

Import without any fear.

I have imported an Onkyo CD changer as well as an earlier model AV receiver.Local support is top notch, unlike Yamaha( I had a Yamaha AV receiver earlier)-Onkyo has a wholly owned subsidiary in India with branches in many locations, unlike Yamaha. Use a decent step own transformer, and you're fine. By and large I feel Onkyo buiild quality is significantly superior and US prices are a whole lot less. A useful US site to check for Onkyo/Marantz gear is accessories for less( ac4l.com).

George

Thanks for your suggestion George.

Actually reading through the internet I've noticed that the Onkyo one's get heated quickly and thought should I try Yammy. Now you've added another confusion :D.

Anyone within the forum able to comment on the over heating?

How was your experience with Yammy service.

Sorry to create confusion:sad:

I don't think a company like Onkyo will not address an issue like this if it is going to make them lose market share. I didn't use it much, and gifted it to my bro-in-law, who had a major power problem at his house and the AV receiver packed up.It is now dead as a dodo!

You need to research this properly and make up your own mind..

George

Most AVRs heat up when used for more than half an hour or so and Onkyo is not an exception. I have my Onkyo 504 (110v) and the transformer in a wide shelf with tight fit doors and 4 inches space above the AVR. I just keep the doors of the shelf open when the AVR is on and the AVR does get hot, but so far no issues. Just ensure that you have 4 to 6 inches of space in the shelf (open or closed) and keep the doors open if it is a closed one.

Import without any fear.

George

Can you specify the models you have imported? What is the cost of the product + shipping + customs? How much time did get to deliver to your place?
What about warranty issues? What is the difference (in amount) you see between indian distributor and US?
This would help me and others to find one as in your route.

Can you specify the models you have imported? What is the cost of the product + shipping + customs? How much time did get to deliver to your place?
What about warranty issues? What is the difference (in amount) you see between indian distributor and US?

Sorry, can't help you here, I brought it along with me when I returned from USA. Typically, import will work out only if you or somebody near/dear to you are travelling to India from abraod and could carry what you are looking for.

If the item is not available in India at any cost, you can try thru importers like 20north.com. There is a thread on 20north, go thru it for more details.

Sorry to create confusion:sad:

I don't think a company like Onkyo will not address an issue like this if it is going to make them lose market share. I didn't use it much, and gifted it to my bro-in-law, who had a major power problem at his house and the AV receiver packed up.It is now dead as a dodo!

You need to research this properly and make up your own mind..

George

You don't have to feel sorry, Yes I need to carefully think about options as I'm investing for atleast 4-5 years. Thanks for your suggestion.

Most AVRs heat up when used for more than half an hour or so and Onkyo is not an exception. I have my Onkyo 504 (110v) and the transformer in a wide shelf with tight fit doors and 4 inches space above the AVR. I just keep the doors of the shelf open when the AVR is on and the AVR does get hot, but so far no issues. Just ensure that you have 4 to 6 inches of space in the shelf (open or closed) and keep the doors open if it is a closed one.

Yes, the view is that Onkyo's tend to get more hotter than other AVR's. Anyhow my room is airconditioned and you're re-assurace helps.

BTW seems you've reached 200. Congrats.

I went to a dealer in Fort Lauderdale, when I picked up my changer, and brought it back with me in checked in baggage. It wasnt heavy, but I was visiting Italy enroute and the Italian custosm guys in Roma gave me a hard time.
I got Onkyo India to convert the voltage to 220V, payng soemthing extra-don't remember the amount-but not too much.

The AV receiver also comae in the same way-but via Bombay where I paid maybe 2000 or 1500 as duty-the cost was higher and the Customs guys there hd a book to check values.I had to pay duty on the value assessed with an exemption from duty upto 25K.

You can check the values on the net easily-if you plan to bring it back with you-no idea about shipping costs-but AV receivers are fairly heavy.Many US vendors will not ship overseas,though.

George

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back