Onkyo TX-SR706

venkatcr

For those who are interested, Sound&Vision Magazine has chosen the Onkyo TX-SR706 as the best receiver of 2008. The conclusion of the article is as follows:

Onkyos latest receiver is a value monster. You can buy more power, a few more features, and more high-end sizzle by shooting more dollars higher up Onkyos receiver line (or that of one of its competitors). But the TX-SR706 appears ideally placed, smack astride the point of diminishing returns. If you can find a better $899 A/V receiver, buy it.
UNQUOTE

Read the full article at Sound & Vision Magazine - Onkyo TX-SR706 A/V receiver

I am both surprised and pleased to see many of these testers use Oppo players as reference players. That is a lot in favour of Oppo Digital. I hope they live up to their own standards with the BD-83.

Cheers

Hi, I also was searching for review of 706.I had asked abt 706 review in this forum ,but nobody knew.

Thanks for the topic.Onkyo receivers r blamed for producing more Heat.
706 comes with Cirus DAC,Faruodja DCdi cinema chip(606 with other DCdi)
Features as good as top Onkyo model for 45k?
I am eager to know music Q from forum.

Venkat - Nothing against your post but the link just blew me away .... in a terrible way. It is the most non-scientific test I have read by a 'professional.' It sounds like someone wrote it as a part time job (while not being qualified to do that). He listened at reference levels for all his tests!

Just a couple points to note this...

* There is no reference to others systems for comparison to make the claim that its the best receiver for 2008!!
* No specifics except for 'various test DVDs' for sources

* Crossover consistency: bass crossover frequency and slope same for all signal formats
* Signal-format consistency: consistent for all applicable formats
* Speaker-size selection: all channels can be set to small
* Speaker-distance compensation: available for all main channels

huh??? I am still scratching my head.

Unfortunately, all these magazines have time, competition and pressure from manufacturers working against them all the time. I have never seen any magazine give the kind of 'professional' review we are looking for.

I suppose that is what we have to live with. These guys do some many reviews every day, I suppose they also get bored and expect us to take their 'knowledge' and 'expertise' for granted.

There are very few products that really excites these guys.

Cheers

Unfortunately, all these magazines have time, competition and pressure from manufacturers working against them all the time. I have never seen any magazine give the kind of 'professional' review we are looking for.

I suppose that is what we have to live with. These guys do some many reviews every day, I suppose they also get bored and expect us to take their 'knowledge' and 'expertise' for granted.

There are very few products that really excites these guys.

Cheers

I have nothing against the magazine (I used to read S&V a fair bit years ago), but its the authour's lack of fundamentals in his analyses that is surprising and pitiful.

I know no magazine or website is beyond bias since their funding is driven by advertising, but atleast the author should have put some measurements and not be putting out statements that even the product brochure might have passed like

Speaker-size selection: all channels can be set to small

One decent publication that has minimal bias is this:

The Audio Critic

Few years ago, I spent USD 40 to read the entire publication list. While some went over my head (I am not an elec. engineer), I understood a decent bit once I got to the 3rd/4th publication.

David Rich, Gene DeLa Sella, Tom Nousine, David Ranada and Kris Deering were/are good reviewers (though they maintain a political correctness to ensure ongoing funding for their magazines). Yet its worth reading their prose/analysis.

Finally, I know good measurements do not equate to good sound for a given equipment and vice versa but atleast it is a good starting point to fathom what the component is capable of.

Marsilians, please for heavens sake don't start off on Audio Critic. We have had two rounds of open war in HifiVision on Peter Aczel vs John Atkinson, Peter vs Wes Philips, and Peter vs Rest Of The World.

If you are interested just search through the forum.

Cheers

ha ha ha ha ha ha yes yes.......and I think everyone here has also formed their view on which bits of Aczel's advise to accept, and which to treat with circumspection.....but yeah....it's one of those war topics.....(intimately linked of course to other war topics like cables, ICs, power conditioners, etc.,)

I haven't heard the 706, but specwise it does sound like great value, and home theater magazine (as well as its sister the ultimate AV mag) have carried out extensive and (more) scientific reviews of the 606, it's little brother, and have generally rated it highly (and as being superior to comparable models from denon and yamaha). Therefore, that same quality of amplification with the feature set that the 706 offers, sounds like good value.

Of course the Denon 1909 also sounds like a great value proposition.

Marsilians, please for heavens sake don't start off on Audio Critic. We have had two rounds of open war in HifiVision on Peter Aczel vs John Atkinson, Peter vs Wes Philips, and Peter vs Rest Of The World.

Cheers

Cheers

No I don't mean to start anything here I was not pointing to his top 10 list (just a reference to some measurements in the component reviews) same is at home theater hifi online pub and used to be on stereophile as well. Thats why I emntioned other guys. I know Peter has a checkered past when it comes to reviews as he has swung the entire spectrum from pure subjectivity to objectivity but he got better over time. Most time people pick his earlier reviews as a basis for argument. Like I also said earlier nobody is over the bias.

To other readers : This is not a free ticket to people trashing - just review opinions.

Last edited:
For those who are interested, Sound&Vision Magazine has chosen the Onkyo TX-SR706 as the best receiver of 2008. The conclusion of the article is as follows:

Onkyos latest receiver is a value monster. You can buy more power, a few more features, and more high-end sizzle by shooting more dollars higher up Onkyos receiver line (or that of one of its competitors). But the TX-SR706 appears ideally placed, smack astride the point of diminishing returns. If you can find a better $899 A/V receiver, buy it.
UNQUOTE

Read the full article at Sound & Vision Magazine - Onkyo TX-SR706 A/V receiver

I am both surprised and pleased to see many of these testers use Oppo players as reference players. That is a lot in favour of Oppo Digital. I hope they live up to their own standards with the BD-83.

Cheers

Great. Finally 706 gets it due. 2 months back i did an extensive research and i concluded 706 is the best Value For Money[future prrof too] AVR in the current market.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/2680-ht-setup-future-proof-vfm.html

the next is pioneer 1018H, though less costlier than 706, it doesnt have THX certification.

During NewYear 706 was being sold for 450 us dollars in amazon which was a steal. couldn't get here since no one was travelling that time. now it sells for 550 USD.

We don't have the pricing info of 706 here and what-hifi magazine has said that the price is yet to be announced.

Thanks,
Prakash,

Great. Finally 706 gets it due. 2 months back i did an extensive research and i concluded 706 is the best Value For Money[future prrof too] AVR in the current market.

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-amplifiers-receivers/2680-ht-setup-future-proof-vfm.html

the next is pioneer 1018H, though less costlier than 706, it doesnt have THX certification.

During NewYear 706 was being sold for 450 us dollars in amazon which was a steal. couldn't get here since no one was travelling that time. now it sells for 550 USD.

We don't have the pricing info of 706 here and what-hifi magazine has said that the price is yet to be announced.

any problem with 706?- http://www.highdefforum.com/high-de...-players-tivos/78992-onkyo-705-706-606-a.html

Thanks,
Prakash,

I read again,but specifications of Onkyo 706 r better than Pio1018.
ie Cirus DAC for all ch, Dcdi cinema upscaler ,
even powersupply of Onkyo is 550w over Pio 390 w only.

problem with 706?-http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-receivers-recorders-players-tivos/78992-onkyo-705-706-606-a.html

Last edited:
I read again,but specifications of Onkyo 706 r better than Pio1018.
ie Cirus DAC for all ch, Dcdi cinema upscaler ,
even powersupply of Onkyo is 550w over Pio 390 w only.

problem with 706?-http://www.highdefforum.com/high-definition-receivers-recorders-players-tivos/78992-onkyo-705-706-606-a.html

Hi, you are right. But pioneer has very good review on video upscaling.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 480i/480p Deinterlacing and 1080p Scaling Conversion Test Results

and for complete review see
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver - Product Profile of the Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Home Theater Receiver.

Thanks,
Prakash

I think it is highly debatable which AVR is the model of the year.

Going by magzines, What HiFI , a ardent fan of Onkyos, has dropped Onkyos like a hot brick and picked up Yamahas (663/863/1900/3800) in a big way.

Other reviewers still rank Denon (1909/2309/2809/3808) above the rest.

regards

I think it is highly debatable which AVR is the model of the year.

Going by magzines, What HiFI , a ardent fan of Onkyos, has dropped Onkyos like a hot brick and picked up Yamahas (663/863/1900/3800) in a big way.

Other reviewers still rank Denon (1909/2309/2809/3808) above the rest.

regards

It becomes very dicey when people start talking about the "best AVR" as there is not one even at premium pricing that delivers on all fronts. So, people should not get fixated with such sentiments.

The best is to look for a specific qualities and then the feature set and reliability with adequate measurements. Also as I said before, every magazine/online review is biased to an extent since they are funded by the same manufacturers. A second best (and more realistic alternative) is to get user feedback from forums.

Bought 706 couple of weeks back from Onkyo India at around 48K.

Very happy with the performance and specs, particularly upscaling and HDMI switching. Sounds quite nice too.

Great value for money. As with any Onkyo, gets quite hot.

- A

Bought 706 couple of weeks back from Onkyo India at around 48K.

Very happy with the performance and specs, particularly upscaling and HDMI switching. Sounds quite nice too.

Great value for money. As with any Onkyo, gets quite hot.

- A

Can you give detailed review pls?

I want to know how is upscaling comparing that of DVDp?
Stereo sound qulity?Do you have CDp?
How to prevent the heat?bcos heat meens powerloss(energy converted)
Any clipping issue?

Upconversion to 1080p is very good. Better than my DVD player's.

Stereo reproduction is very balanced and to my liking. Also has huge reserves of power in a HT setup.

The heat that is generated is pretty common in a Onkyo and does not bother me or hamper the operation in any way. Care should be taken to ensure enough ventilation and air circulation to the amp.

I have not been able to drive the amp to clip even at very high listening levels.

Cheers

Upconversion to 1080p is very good. Better than my DVD player's.

Stereo reproduction is very balanced and to my liking. Also has huge reserves of power in a HT setup.

The heat that is generated is pretty common in a Onkyo and does not bother me or hamper the operation in any way. Care should be taken to ensure enough ventilation and air circulation to the amp.

I have not been able to drive the amp to clip even at very high listening levels.

Cheers

Thanks for reply,

My last Q is-can we compare stereo SQ to dedicated st amp(CD/amp)?
How close 706 is?
Pls.tell your DVDp model too.

Last edited:
I have mutiple music sources including a HTPC, Playstation and a DVD player. The DVD player is actually a Pioneer DB based DVD recorder. Connected to 706 on HDMI.

As far as I am concerned, the quality of stereo is pretty good and comparable to midrange dedicated Stereo amps. I guess speakers also play a big role. I like the MS Mezzo 8s.

In case you are planning to buy a 706, let me once again remind you that requires lot of ventilation as it can get quite hot, though nothing to worry.

Regards

In case you are planning to buy a 706, let me once again remind you that requires lot of ventilation as it can get quite hot, though nothing to worry.

Regards

Some of my friends have installed standalone PC fans that are very quite that have reduced the heat around the AVR a fair bit. They isntall this on teh back of the rack pushing the air out from the back. Very small investment but with huge payouts.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back