Only HDR Content looks fadeout (Firestick 4k + Projector + Yamaha AVR)

vikramdesigner

Hey guys,

Few months back got this projector Epson 7100 (4k pixel shift with HDR Support) ) , i m very happy with it, playing movies through fire-stick 4k HDR.
I have noticed one thing when playing normal HD movies on netflix or prime and youtube 4K, picture looks stunning with punchy colors.

But when playing HDR content (netflix +prime ) all looks fade out or washed out.

Tried two different setup :

Firestick directly connect to Projector arc = Fade out HDR

Firestick directly connect to Yamaha avr 685 arc then projector
HDMI cable is new and supports all current features (7 meter) = Fade out HDR and also take few secs to display HDR content.

All 3 hardware supports HDR but output looks fade out.

Firestick settting set to Ultra 4k HDR - Adaptive - Color Automatic. (firmware updated)

Projector also set to 4k HDR

Yamaha avr 4k 60/50hz.

Please help me to rectify this issue.

Does your PJ have some slider type brightness controls for HDR? If so, try that.

If not, you really need tone mapping for HDR content. Some of the Panasonic 4K players (UB-420, UB-900) have some in-built static tone mapping. Which is still not close to dynamic tone mapping, but it is better than none.

yes for now im using this HDR slider for brightness(default is 8 and i set it to 4) , to an extend it looks good but not impressive as SDR , do we have to really keep changing to watch HDR content ?

Unfortunately, yes. You really need dynamic tone mapping if you want (close to) plug and play. As things stand today, you can get dynamic tone mapping either from (a). JVC NX series (b). madVR Envy (c). Lumagen (d). madVR on a HTPC (only for rips)

Hey guys,

Few months back got this projector Epson 7100 (4k pixel shift with HDR Support) ) , i m very happy with it, playing movies through fire-stick 4k HDR.
I have noticed one thing when playing normal HD movies on netflix or prime and youtube 4K, picture looks stunning with punchy colors.

But when playing HDR content (netflix +prime ) all looks fade out or washed out.

Tried two different setup :

Firestick directly connect to Projector arc = Fade out HDR

Firestick directly connect to Yamaha avr 685 arc then projector
HDMI cable is new and supports all current features (7 meter) = Fade out HDR and also take few secs to display HDR content.

All 3 hardware supports HDR but output looks fade out.

Firestick settting set to Ultra 4k HDR - Adaptive - Color Automatic. (firmware updated)

Projector also set to 4k HDR

Yamaha avr 4k 60/50hz.

If projector has two hdmi port try another hdmi. Because some projector has only one hdmi port with hdr compatibility.

Its not the Tone mapping issue im sure. If you are sure the PJ does HDR then the colors will never look washed out. The HDR wont perform like it should but the image is very watchable. Sure thing its a setting issue.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back