Only Original Audio CDs skipping on bumps while driving

@Sachin - how did your stuff get stolen?

Cheers

It was a little weird robbery. One morning when my better half reached the card the face plate of the pioneer was gone. Now the weird things are 1) There was a remote right under the face plate near the gear lever, that was not taken. 2) My car has a security alarm which goes off if the car is opened without a key. 3) Remaining HU is still there, The faceplate can't be used anywhere. All this has left me puzzled.

Anyways i checked for prices of the faceplate and found that they are close to the price of a new HU itself. Darn !! Now i have the HU minus the face plate plus the remote. I am saving for a new source so a purchasing a new HU has been postponed.

Another thought was that i am enjoying my norge at home so much that i don't feel like listening to my car audio at all. So might as well get rid of everything, that will reduce atleast 10 kgs and improve fuel economy :eek:hyeah:

You guys are seriously off-topic here.

SORRY!:eek::eek::eek:

you have been banned on team bhp? -

let me put it this way - i have a feeling that this forum appears to a little more democratic than that bigoted forum -

most of the people here are not rigidly constrained to a certain (curtailed) format of response-

and if you are liberal - you will find grain in the midst of the chaff.

tread carefully - and you will find friends

the river must flow freely - else you will end with a disaster like the 'three gorges dam'-

Last edited:
See, I am not being rude but it is simply the Team-BHP effect that has taken over me. Plus regarding my ban on Team-BHP, I think GTO is very unreasonable and always keeps deleting threads and posts that appear to be ''useless'' to him although I was always in an urgency. Infact, he was the only moderator who deleted my threads and posts unlike others who would compensate by moving them to a common thread. I don't hate him as such, I like his posts and advices regarding car buying decisions etc. but if only he became much more liberal in his actions there'd be another name amongst his fans.
Best of regards
Abhinav Sharma

Now, let us come back on track and try to roule my problem.
So, simply put, do you guys face this skipping problem with original audio CDs in your head unit or not?

Now, let us come back on track and try to roule my problem. So, simply put, do you guys face this skipping problem with original audio CDs in your head unit or not?

I drive a Swift with a JVC HU. Some time ago, the unit started skipping CDs for a second whenever I went over a rough patch on the road. I took the car to th guy who installed the system and he said this could happen because of:

• Dirty, scratched, or defective disc.
  • Dirty or damaged objective lens, suspension, obstruction, etc.
  • Dirt, gummed up lubrication, bad belt, or damage in sled drive mechanism.
  • Transportation lock engaged.
  • Need for servo alignment.

He took out the unit, cleaned it, and fitted it back. Seems to work well now,

Take your car/unit to a car audio mechanic and he should resolve the issue.

Cheers

What and where is this packing found? I didn't get you at all? Mind sharing a pic?

This was atleast 7 yrs ago, no I don't have a picture. But I remember that it was a cardboard plate above the player. After installation, it had to be pulled out.
You can take it to the service centre and check out if the installation is good...

Last edited:
Abhipuru,

Even my pioneer car CD player skips only with audio CDs.
But its ONLY with hard bumps. Lighter bumps pose NO problem to it.

I ve seen PC drivers having rubber dampers to absorb the shocks/vibrations and probably the same is done in INSIDE CAR players too.

The reason why MP3 plays fine is this: The MP3 is a compressed format . The player lens mechanism reads a chunk of data, the onboard decoder buffers it and plays for a long time from this buffer before it needs to read another chunk. When the car is going over bumps the dampers DO reduce the impact by absorbing the shocks/vibrations. But if the bumps are hard enough, the lens mechanism skips, then the buffer DOES provide enough data for the MP3 decoders without running out of data. So even if the mechanism skips, the buffer provides the data and no pauses occur in music.

However, technically, if the mechanism is made to skip continuosly for a longer time then the same pauses can be observed. To observe the same skipping phenomenon with MP3, you will have to take the car over a series of bumps continously for a longer time. For some time, the mechanism will skip and the buffer will provide the data to the decoder. After some more time, buffer will run out of data and the mechanism will still be skipping and the result will be that the decoder will have no data to play. You WILL find the audio muted in this case too.
The fact that you may not be able to find so many bumps together to observe this is tankfully another matter.

CD audio format is a different matter: It is uncompressed and the SAME buffer will be used to accomodate the uncompresed data. The decoder plays the data more frequently from the buffer and so the mechanism needs to fetch data more often to fill the buffer. If the mechanism skips and the meanwhile buffer runs out of data the audio is muted by the decoder. Due to the frequent filling/emptying of buffer this effect occurs very easily over bumps.

Though it is strange that your player skips on the slightest bumps. Do cross check again.
I doubt these players have sufficient buffers for CD audio since the primary music format in car is MP3. Never seen any user guides which speak of such buffers making my belief stronger.

Hope it explains your findings.

Goldy

my cd skips in same situation though I was able to get some good performance but getting the nuts n screws tighted.

I also have the same problem even for mp3 CDs.I think its a generic problem with Pioneer system.

I have tried many things tightening the screws .., align the power cables. Still doesnt help.

Going to give the unit for service.

Anybody knows authorised pioneer service center in chennai please let me know.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back