Open Baffle speaker with Tone Tubby / Fostex

Great! you are leaping to a pro active setup. The DCX2496 will be very usefull in taming the tone tubby's low end - and may be you can add an OB subwoofer later :)

You might require an ECM8000 as well to measure and fine tune the system performance.

Can you post how much did the the DCX2496 cost (price + shipping + customs). Last time i checked the price it was Rs.29000 in Bangalore.

Regds...

Last edited:
Great! you are leaping to a pro active setup. The DCX2496 will be very usefull in taming the tone tubby's low end - and may be you can add an OB subwoofer later :)

You might require an ECM8000 as well to measure and fine tune the system performance.

Can you post how much did the the DCX2496 cost (price + shipping + customs). Last time i checked the price it was Rs.29000 in Bangalore.

Regds...

Thanks. I am indeed looking at a ECM8000 with a mic-preamp to be able to use with TrueRTA to do some measurements.

The DCX2496 costed me close to 18K including everything from Amazon via Borderlinx.

Cheers.

Folks,

My Open Baffle project with Fostex/Tone Tubbyh is almost done. I need to further measure the response curves and accordingly equalize the speakers. Right now they are done with my ear. They sound extremely detailed and open. The low bass needs to be augmented by my subwooffer as expected.

Extremely good tonal quality to the whole setup. They are right now biamped through a Behringer Digital crossover feeding to a Emotiva XPA-5 (one channel is unused obviously).

Here are the pictures.

Cheers.

When can I come for a listen? do you still have the Thor TL or did you part with it? :)

cheers

Congratulations anil :cool:
Great work !!!!

Regards,
Anil

MY DIY PAGE

Folks,

My Open Baffle project with Fostex/Tone Tubbyh is almost done. I need to further measure the response curves and accordingly equalize the speakers. Right now they are done with my ear. They sound extremely detailed and open. The low bass needs to be augmented by my subwooffer as expected.

Extremely good tonal quality to the whole setup. They are right now biamped through a Behringer Digital crossover feeding to a Emotiva XPA-5 (one channel is unused obviously).

Here are the pictures.

Cheers.

Sure. I will PM you. Also there is some confusion. I never did a Thor TL. it is Anil Kumar I think.

Cheers.

Oink! I always thought it was you!! :lol:

so the iaudio Yatra never visited your home? :eek:

I must be hallucinating :eek:hyeah:

Folks,

Here are the pictures.

Cheers.

The angled frame with the chamfer is really good. This is definitely one of the best looking wide baffles i have seen. Can you include a picture of the back as well...

What are the xover frequencies and are you using any time alignment adjustments with the Behringer?

Regds...

The angled frame with the chamfer is really good. This is definitely one of the best looking wide baffles i have seen. Can you include a picture of the back as well...

What are the xover frequencies and are you using any time alignment adjustments with the Behringer?

Regds...

The low pass is a 12 dB butterworth at 200Hz and the high pass is at 500Hz 12dB butterworth. No other time alignments etc. are made. These crossover points are similar to Martin J King's OB designs. Now I need to measure the response curves and fine tune.

Cheers.

Congrats on the build Anilva, the speakers look lovely!

Gobbleji, I visited anilkumar to listen to the small thors.

Congrats on the build Anilva, the speakers look lovely!

Gobbleji, I visited anilkumar to listen to the small thors.

What?!! Are you equating me with a pack of Parle-G? :mad:

I cannot be had for 5 bucks!! and I don't sit on the shelves waiting to tempt people ... :rolleyes: :eek:hyeah: :)

OK I was totally kaanphussed! :D

cheers

Hi Anil,

Congratulations,the speakers look fantastic.I bet the sound is too.

I hope to listen to them shortly.

Now its time to get to work on the Altec's.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Anil,

Congratulations,the speakers look fantastic.I bet the sound is too.

I hope to listen to them shortly.

Now its time to get to work on the Altec's.

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv for all the support.

BTW, I ordered some of that gooey black glue for speaker voice coil and spider from ebay (someone shipped from China). Seems quite good. I will show you when you are here. Looks like it will serve our purpose.

Cheers.

Hi Anil,

I managed to get Bill at GPA to send me some of the damping compound and shims.

The package is now stuck somewhere in Delhi postal dept.

The glue for the voice coil is not that critical,but the damping compound makes a big difference .

I will be in B'lore for a day, tomorrow visiting an uncle who is unwell. If I can get away for a few hours I would love to drop by.

Please PM me your contact number.

Regards
Rajiv

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back