Oppo 980 not able to play from 8GB Pendrive

anuragn

Hi All,
I bought a new 8gb Transcend pen drive yesterday. Saved a few mp3 tracks and plugged it in the usb port of my Oppo 980.
But the player is unable to read any files off the pen drive. It detects the drive but instead of showing the list of tracks, it shows a message " Empty Device".
Could it be because the DVD player is not designed to be compatible with 8gb pendrives or is something else wrong?
Pl guide me how to solve this problem.

Can you check and see what is the formatting of the pen drive? It should ideally be FAT16/FAT32, not NTFS. Also ensure that the file names are not long. As much as possible stick to the MD-DOS 8.3 standard.

Cheers

hai,venkatcr you are correct. the format should be fat32.it worked like a champ for my friend pioneer player.no problem with even divx files also.
hai anuragn would you tell thequality from usb drive audio when comparing to cd,when both kept at their oreginal form(no compression)
regards,

The fact that he is auditioning mp3 means the source is lossy and there is compression built in. he wont be able to distinguish between the 2 options.

Can you check and see what is the formatting of the pen drive? It should ideally be FAT16/FAT32, not NTFS. Also ensure that the file names are not long. As much as possible stick to the MD-DOS 8.3 standard.

Cheers
It is FAT32.
Length of file names should not be an issue because I'm able to pay the same mp3's from a 4GB micro sd card with a card reader connected to the Oppo's USB port.
And by the way, how to ensure MD-DOS 8.3?

Did you format the drive before copying over the mp3 files? If not, do a reformat. My 8GB drive works with my 980 - no issues. A 'quick format' should be fine.

Did the formatting work?

The 8.3 format refers to the number of character before the DOT and the number afterwards. Many non computer electronics yet follow that methodology, though Vista, Windows 7 and other OSes have moved to 256 character length for file names.

So if you have a song name such as say, Beatles_YellowSubmarine.mp3, you have to rename the file as 'B_YelSub.MP3'. You have to reduce the number of characters before the DOT to 8 characters. That is all.

Cheers

If you have correctly formatted and are sure that the mp3's are copied over in the DOS format correctly then try the following:

1. If you have a disk in the Oppo, make sure to select the input as USB for the control to switch on to it.
2. If you are unsure about 1 above then remove any disk from the tray and just attach the pendrive.
3. If above fails try the pen drive on another DVDp with USB support to see if it works. Then we can ask you try other options.

If you have correctly formatted and are sure that the mp3's are copied over in the DOS format correctly then try the following:

1. If you have a disk in the Oppo, make sure to select the input as USB for the control to switch on to it.
2. If you are unsure about 1 above then remove any disk from the tray and just attach the pendrive.
3. If above fails try the pen drive on another DVDp with USB support to see if it works. Then we can ask you try other options.

1. There was no disc in the player. Also, input was toggled between disc & usb 2-3 times to make sure that it tries to read from usb.
2. Actually, it detects the pendrive but is not able to "see" any files on it.. hence the message " Empty device".
3. Will search for someody having a dvd player with usb for trying.

My pen drive does not appear to be defective either.. it owrks perfectly with a PC.

@venkatcr:
Files with same (long) file names work when saved on a 4 GB micro sd card and played using a card reader.

If you can get your hands on another pen drive, try that. Sometimes the same drive I have works on two laptops at home. Sometimes one laptop does not even recognise it.

Cheers

Here is a snapshot of my TV with the error message that I get from the DVD player:
Any clues?

Attachments

• 8GB Pen drive.jpg
    8GB Pen drive.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 32
The issue could be with the pen drive. Try a different and reliable pen drive on your Oppp.

Cheers

I can easily play media off 8 gb drives with my 980. Suggest you try a diff one as Venkat has suggested as well. Dont forget to format it in FAT format.

If the drive works on a pc it should work on the dvd player since all usb ports use the same standards for data transfer.
I suggest you download "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" and format your pen drive on fat32 and try again. Try it before you break your head on the dos 8.3 thing.

Last edited:
If the drive works on a pc it should work on the dvd player since all usb ports use the same standards for data transfer.
I suggest you download "HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool" and format your pen drive on fat32 and try again. Try it before you break your head on the dos 8.3 thing.

Formatted to FAT32 using the HP software. Still no success. I am also thinking on the same lines that if it works on a PC, then it should also work on a dvd player since USB protocol is standard and followed by all devices alike.
Will try to go to Croma tomorrow and try the same on a few DVD players.

@marsilians
Which brand is the pen drive you are using? And are there any settings in the dvd player related to usb?

Last edited:
Will try to go to Croma tomorrow and try the same on a few DVD players.

Went to Croma today and checked my 8gb pen drive on a Philips dvd player (model no. 3388) and it played the mp3 files perfectly there.

Also, I upgraded oppo's firmware as below:
>>>Current Version: MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: DV980-19-0722
>>>Upgraded to the beta Version: MVer: 05.00.01.07 Batch: DV980-21-1031 (from Oppo's website).
Still no success.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back