Oppo and Cambridge Audio DVD Players

psychotropic

I have been reading in a lot of places that Oppo and Cambridge Audio DVD players share the same internals, and that for instance

the CA DVD89 is a rebadged Oppo 970HD
the CA DVD99 is a rebadged Oppo 980

and so on, and apparently they are all contract manufactured by this chinese company called Winbase Electronics. Could anyone throw any more light on this?

There is also some prediction that the upcoming Oppo BD player and CA BD player are going to share internals.

No, this isn't true. Don't know about the new players. In the days of DV89 and Oppo 971, both players shared a Mediatek decoder but used different DACs and video scaling chipsets. DV89 used a Crystal CS4360 DAC for better audio but the Oppo had the Faroudja chipset for better video.

Okay just to add some more info, i've been studying the literature on the 980H and the DVD99 and there seems to be a staggering amount of similarity between the two. The specs and features are virtually identical (right down to SACD DSD over HDMI), the rear panels look identical, the front panels are largely the same, structurally. Would anyone have compared these two??

One more thing. Venkatji (or anyone else), would you be game to do a comparison test of your 980H with a DVD99, if i can find out where a DVD99 is available (or if nothing else works than in some cambridge audio dealer like Cressida).

Oh ya my perspective is primarliy audio, but we could look at video as well.

what is the price difference between the two in India? As per comments on this forum, ppl regard oppo higher than CA.

One more thing. Venkatji (or anyone else), would you be game to do a comparison test of your 980H with a DVD99, if i can find out where a DVD99 is available (or if nothing else works than in some cambridge audio dealer like Cressida).

I am game. Right now I am doing a detailed audition of the 983 using a high end two channel amp. This is purely for music. If I can get my hands on a DVD99, I can combine the two and publish the results in a week or so.

Cheers

No, this isn't true. Don't know about the new players. In the days of DV89 and Oppo 971, both players shared a Mediatek decoder but used different DACs and video scaling chipsets. DV89 used a Crystal CS4360 DAC for better audio but the Oppo had the Faroudja chipset for better video.

Are you sure DV89 used a Crystal CS4360 DAC ?its not mention anywhere.
azur 540 has that.

third that!!:Dwould be great to get that info and more on the dv99.have bought the same as i couldn get the oppo 980.havent been able to do an extensive listen with some redbooks as yet.maybe soon.hunch is theyre on par audio wise.cant think of anyone other than venkat who could do a side by side comparo of the dv99 and oppo980.pls??

psychotropic,know anyone who has used the ca dv99 for an extended period??cheers

Last edited:
third that!!:Dwould be great to get that info and more on the dv99.have bought the same as i couldn get the oppo 980.havent been able to do an extensive listen with some redbooks as yet.maybe soon.hunch is theyre on par audio wise.cant think of anyone other than venkat who could do a side by side comparo of the dv99 and oppo980.pls??

psychotropic,know anyone who has used the ca dv99 for an extended period??cheers

DV99 DAC not available on Amazon too.
Anyone knows?

it jsut so happens that I am using a DV99 at the moment. It is serving as a CDP also till i finalize my source . Pretty decent i would say as far as 2 ch audio goes.Million times better than my older Philips chapati player :D. Video is first rate . Althouhg I use it with my vanilla 21inch LG flatron CRT. Im not really into HT. Cant say how it compares to the Oppo as ive never heard the same. I paid abt 14K for it.
Ofcourse stand alone CDP's ive heard in my own set up are far superior. Even a CA 640 is superior .

Last edited:
Great! Now anyone in Chennai with a DVD99 that they would be able to volunteer for this? No further effort required. I will drive to your place, pick you and the DVD player up, drive to Venkat's place, and we'll do the comparison. So.....anyone game?

I am game. Right now I am doing a detailed audition of the 983 using a high end two channel amp. This is purely for music. If I can get my hands on a DVD99, I can combine the two and publish the results in a week or so.

Cheers

About a year back the DVD99 was going for 13-14k (I even saw someone mention a 12.5k price somewhere on these forums I think).

The 980H is not officially available in India, but if they did import it, perhaps it would be a comparable price?

what is the price difference between the two in India? As per comments on this forum, ppl regard oppo higher than CA.

About a year back the DVD99 was going for 13-14k (I even saw someone mention a 12.5k price somewhere on these forums I think).

The 980H is not officially available in India, but if they did import it, perhaps it would be a comparable price?

Oppo Indian dealors are not interested in 980.It can come close to 16k if they bring.

it jsut so happens that I am using a DV99 at the moment. It is serving as a CDP also till i finalize my source . Pretty decent i would say as far as 2 ch audio goes.Million times better than my older Philips chapati player :D. Video is first rate . Althouhg I use it with my vanilla 21inch LG flatron CRT. Im not really into HT. Cant say how it compares to the Oppo as ive never heard the same. I paid abt 14K for it.
Ofcourse stand alone CDP's ive heard in my own set up are far superior. Even a CA 640 is superior .

saurabhk,finally a ca dv99 user!!how long have you been usin it?goes without sayin that stand alone cdps will better it but at the given price point?would it be comparable to,say,the ca 340c?cheers

I wouldnt' be surprised if it's better. Of course a dedicated CD transport (which i presume is used in the 340C) will be better as a transport than the DVD player's transport, but the internals of the DVD99 might be better. I've read a comparison of the DVD99 and the 540D (which is supposed to be comparable to 340C), and overall the DVD99 was superior.

saurabhk,finally a ca dv99 user!!how long have you been usin it?goes without sayin that stand alone cdps will better it but at the given price point?would it be comparable to,say,the ca 340c?cheers

No DVD99 volunteeres in Chennai? else can anyone volunteer their Oppo 980 (on the same terms....i pick you up etc.,) so that we can take it to cressida AV zone or something to compare? (Cressida will ahve DVD99s in stock).

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back