Oppo BDP 105D, views, reviews & connectivity ?

bigron

Hello People

In a bit of a conundrum off late and looking for some suggestions. I have a Samsung F7500 blueray player connected to a Denon AVR 2807. The system works great but the upgrade bug has bit me.
Looking to upgrade to the 105d and using the analog audio out to connect to the 'ext in' on my avr thereby bypassing the onboard processing of the avr.
The Oppo has superior audio DAC and I would like to think that this would result in a superior audio output. Am i correct in thinking so ? Also, I was wondering how would the bass management work ? Lastly, is the video imaging going to be a massive visual jump compared to the current setup.
Views and suggestions appreciated. Cheers

The one big difference between Oppo 105 and other players like your Samsung is its superior music performance. As far as HT ability is concerned the Oppo will be matched by the Samsung. The Darbee processing may give it a better picture but that will make a difference only on larger video screens. If your main use is HT only then you don't need to spend so much more.
The 105s superior audio DAC will play a big role in music playback. Your CDs will sound better and you can of course use the dac usb in to play computer audio. The DAC won't play a role in HT playback. So if music rather than movies is your main focus go for 105. Again to get the best out of the Oppo you will need a stereo integrated or pre-power. I am not sure whether your Denon or Onkyo will be the right match for it.
I have a Oppo 103 and even that is superior for music playback compared to other bluray players

Thanks for the reply Docd. This is essentially going to be a movie setup. Have a different setup for music. The blueray is connected to a 64 inch samsung plasma so I am assuming picture quality would be slightly better if not more on the oppo. However, if the sound of movies dont really receive a bump then I dont see this as an upgrade. I am running the infinity tss 4000 5.1 setup and dont plan to change them. I have 7.1 channel analog ext in connections on the back of my receiver to connect an outboard dac, sacd etc. So was thinking on those lines.

Bigron,

What would be the price difference between the 105D and the Samsung BD?

Let me put a conservative amount of 50k INR.

With that amount, if you want have better sound, its better to invest in speakers first rather than the BD player.

What matters is the entire chain - source, player,amp,speakers and cables besides the room itself.

Evaluate your entire chain and check where are the bottlenecks for better sound and video and invest accordingly.

Also, a lot would depend upon what you are listening to. For example, if its for music, the 105D will shine through, but the speakers will probably let it down.
For movies, the audio difference will be less discernable, so you might want to look at subs, or even a projector to give a better experience.

For the upgrade bug I'd highly recommend going the HTPC route.

PQ will be incomparable by anything even 2-4 times the HTPC budget (that's the max I've tested) and additionally the HTPC will keep you occupied for a long time and take care of the upgradititis.

PS - The only thing you should not take away from this is that HTPC is not easy or set and forget. It will involve endless hours of tweaking especially in the pursuit of best PQ... but totally worth it.

For SQ, yes the Oppo will totally rock it, but @sud98 has already given a proper "breakdown".

Thanks for the input guys.
This setup is in my living room which is also used to entertain guests. So I dont have the liberty nor space to go full guns blazing on full range speakers (though I do have access to such a 7.1 speaker setup). Having said that the infinities have served me very well and still are. This is purely a movie watching setup and hardly ever used to stream music.
I came across reviews about how good the sound output of the 105d is. Also since it has analog audio out and my receiver has external ins so was toying with the idea of upgrading my blueray player to extract some more from my movies audio wise. However, I know adding an outboard DAC is not the first thing that needs to be done to improve sound.

Last edited:
bigron,
Another advantage of the Oppo is that it plays almost every video and audio format. It ranks high up there as a media player as well. So as an all in one convenience package it is unsurpassed: beautiful BD player, top line CD playback, excellent DAC, media file compatibility, every possible input ie HDMI, optical, usb, coaxial, 7.1 analogue out, 2 hdmi outs, 4k upscaling.
If cost is not a major factor, close your eyes and go for the 105D. No wonder Oppos sell like hot cakes!:eek:hyeah:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back