Optoma HD20, GT700 or HD66?

venom

Hey guys,

I know i'd already decided on getting an HD20 and even started a thread about it, but i'd like your opinion on which of these i should go for:

1. Optoma HD20
2. Optoma GT700
3. Optoma HD66

Now i know that the HD20 is a proper 1080p projector, but the other 2 are 3D ready 720p.

I've already ordered a BDP-S570. I wish to have a future proof system in the budget that i have and i guess 3D should be considered!

Anyways, I've heard that you can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p!

Now, the main difference. PRICE!!!

The HD66 costs $641, the GT700 costs $649, but the HD20 costs $949!!

That's a whopping $300 difference!!

also, I need a big screen size. I have a 16x20 living room with stairs leading up and down in an adjoining 2x10 corridor.

Acutal viewing area is 19x10x20(lxbxh).

I want to have a 120"-150" screen size.

Point is, If i go for a cheaper projector i can also go in for a HTiB as well.. maybe an Onkyo 5300/6300.

So... what do i do?! :confused::confused::confused:

Anyways, I've heard that you can't really tell the difference between 720p and 1080p!

Maybe you can't on a plasma or lcd, but on screen that big you will definitely see the difference.

Think about how much 3d material you will get to watch before you go with 3d. I'd go for HD20 without a second thought.

Maybe you can't on a plasma or lcd, but on screen that big you will definitely see the difference.

Think about how much 3d material you will get to watch before you go with 3d. I'd go for HD20 without a second thought.

good point.. thanks... :)

But i also forgot to mention, the room is extremely well lit!

There are tall french doors right next to the projection wall!

Also the rear has a pretty big glass!

I know i'd be better off going for a LCD in this case but the cost is just way too high right now! And any size below 55" looks puny in the room!

So brightness of the projector also has to be good! The rear wall windows will also be largely covered..

good point.. thanks... :)

But i also forgot to mention, the room is extremely well lit!

There are tall french doors right next to the projection wall!

Also the rear has a pretty big glass!

I know i'd be better off going for a LCD in this case but the cost is just way too high right now! And any size below 55" looks puny in the room!

So brightness of the projector also has to be good! The rear wall windows will also be largely covered..

Then I'd suggest refer to this link 1080p Projector Comparison Report - Performance, see the first table for 1080p projectors under $2000. Benq W1000 and Vivitek H1080FD are very bright, and should in the same price range as HD20.

If you are set on a projector, then seriously consider light control. Bright projectors will only help with bright/contrasty scenes, in darker scenes the picture will be washed out.

Back