Our Traffic - What The.....

Record Player

2 hours every day is the time I spend driving to work back and forth. Ooh I tell you, I reach hot headed to work every single day and why? Oh sorry but I've only got flowery words to describe this!

What the hell is wrong with us? Where is our Civic Sense? Is this the example we are setting for our children?

I am extremely disappointed with the arrogance we display especially when on road. Here is what I encounter everyday:

Zebra Crossing / Pedestrian Crossing - Well, what is this? Every single day I see cars and bikes all over the crossing. No respect at all. Ladies and Gents, at a signal you must stop strictly be behind the crossing lines. Its for pedestrians to walk and cross a signal!! Trust me, that's not meant for a real Zebra to come by someday to cross. Idiots! BTW, this is our so called educated lot!

Honking - Need I say more? Absolute arrogance!

Land Discipline - What? Lane? Never heard of it!!! There's just one big lane and that's the road! At times I've seen indicators being used, but that means its their birthright and they will just cut you off!

Signals - Hmmm, wonder what those lights are for and they have timers too. Hmm funny looking disco lights with a timer! Just 5 seconds to go before Green and people just take off and cause chaos for the opposite signal. And we arrogantly show hand gestures!

Cell Phones - Pathetic! Cant you park aside and take your call? Why trouble the traffic around you. Yes when you are talking on your cell phone, you are distracted while driving/riding. The best I've seen is bike guys snuggling their phones in their helmets and talking while riding .Waah!!!!

Bikes are all over the place. Don't even leave footpaths. They ride soo close to cars that every now and they keep knocking their side mirrors.

Parking - Absolutely selfish and disrespect to others.

There is absolutely no respect for each other , Traffic rules and no value for peoples life here! Sad but true!

Well I wonder how they got their driving license?

I have travelled and I tell you, how the hell do those countries and countrymen manage traffic so well? Its such an absolute pleasure driving in those countries. Even countries like Indonesia have great traffic sense!

Sorry, but as a fellow India, I am ashamed with our situation today and don't think this will change any better in years to come!!

Last edited:
Another irksome behaviour is the use of high beams. The low beam is a vestigeal "organ" on our vehicles as no one bothers to use them. Blind on!

Another irksome behaviour is the use of high beams. The low beam is a vestigeal "organ" on our vehicles as no one bothers to use them. Blind on!

Absolutely! Its so blinding at night. I've got headaches because of these. Plus some guys increase power of their stock lights and add extra lights cause they think it looks good!

Here is how we Indians view the traffic signal

re2eqypy.jpg

Bangalore Tata Indica/ Sumo/ TT/ Winger cabbies, how do I describe them, very bad road sense, no respect for fellow human beings, illiterate, mostly rowdy behavior... if they need to take a left turn, they will be stading on the far right corner and when the signal opens, they will crossover to left side leaving the rest look like fools.

Bangalore Tata Indica/ Sumo/ TT/ Winger cabbies, how do I describe them, very bad road sense, no respect for fellow human beings, illiterate, mostly rowdy behavior... if they need to take a left turn, they will be stading on the far right corner and when the signal opens, they will crossover to left side leaving the rest look like fools.

What can I say! Cant agree more! This is a big nuisance here in Bangalore and I am sure other cities as well. These office cabs & Tempo Travellers seem to violate every single traffic rule. There is no curbing on these guys.

Now what about the literates and so called IT Professionals / Working Professional with MBAs and what not, they seem to behave in similar manner!:mad:

Last week I go into a verbal spat with a person driving a high end Audi. He was on his phone and literally swaying on the road and nearly banged into me. To add he definitely looked like a learner to me. He had the arrogance to argue with me saying he will do what he feels like and in the end he said he was a CEO in some IT company...beat that! That ticked me off and what happened later is censored for here but he apologized profusely in the end.

Last edited:
Now what about the literates and so called IT Professionals / Working Professional with MBAs and what not, they seem to behave in similar manner!:mad:

Fine them double, the literate should pay double fine than the cabbies.

Make the traffic cops accountable for these crimes too other than the drunk and drive check which they do with great enthusiasm.

Make the traffic cops accountable for these crimes too other than the drunk and drive check which they do with great enthusiasm.

Very well said Prem. How true that Drunk driving checks are done with great enthusiasm. Ever wondered, when one gets busted for Drunk Driving, I've never seen a cop counsel the guy on the dangers of drink and drive!

Record Player,

Totally agree with you on the way we behave on our roads. Having lived in many cities in India (North, South, East & West), and having spent some time abroad in different countries, I can understand the fustration.

However, I do believe that the current state of affairs in our country is a reflection of our people's attitude (and I include myself in this, since I am also an Indian, and do bring some of these attitues to the table - maybe unknowingly).

The biggest reflection of our attitude (in my opinion) can be observed when you hear the boarding announcement in an airport. The plane is not going to take off without you - so then why do we all have to queue up as if our very existance depends upon being the first one to board the plane? The people boarding the planes are mostly educated folks with enough comforts in life. Are you losing anything by being the last one to board the plane? I have often pondered on this - and my feeling is that we have been conditioned over years to fight for everything in life - nothing in our country happens unless you raise your voice and ask for it. We are people conditioned to fight for every basic necessity in life. And that is why, we are sub-consciously programmed (to borrow a term from the IT world) to behave in this manner. We all do this in some way or the other - maybe some more subtly than others, but nevertheless still there. Our behaviour will only change if we all take collective responsibility and consciously make an effort to change - and no better way to do that than teach the new generation (i.e our kids) proper etiquittes and civic sense. If we can teach all kids to respect each other, and to take collective responsibility, then there will be a change for the better.

Ultimately, I feel that the best way to handle such situations is to be oblivious to it. Don't get affected by it as much as possible. Listen to music, meditate, play with your kids, indulge in your hobbies, etc and try not to be affected by the world outside. This is easy to say, and hard to comply, but is there any other way out for the time being?

Best,
APK

P.S - though I agree that cabbies drive badly, do spare a thought for the conditions under which they work. They work odd hours, have to drive through pathetic traffic day in and day out, and may not be someone who loves driving (it's just a job for them). If they refuse to drive (and demand the mandatory sleep after 8-10 hrs of driving - the way pilots and airline crew get), they will be out of a job the next day. The road is probably where they get most of their fustrations out. I am not justifying their wrongs - but do try and understand from their point of view.

Last edited:
Friends, while i agree with every single point you have made i must also caution you to one more danger. Avoid getting into an altercation on road, you never know what crazed lunatic you are dealing with. I have witnessed people (middle aged, with family) getting assaulted and have heard about stabbings etc especially in Bangalore's IT corridors. So pick your fights carefully :)

@ Record Player, same situation for me too :mad:
It take more than 2 hrs to go back home for me everyday. (from ITPL to Jayanagar). Bangalore has absolutely lost the sense of a traffic rules. Even if I follow rules while driving, i'd be the only fool on the road to do that. The only option is to stay as close as possible to your work place. I know it's difficult if one is a locale , but there's no other answer/solution to this problem.

Cheers.

In northern states, the worst are the SUVs with some of the other political party flag or a beacon and being driven by a driver.

Closely followed by them are two-wheelers with the rider talking on the phone by tilting the head to one side, with no rear view mirrors, overtaking from left and cutting in and using helmets just before crossings (likely places where traffic policemen stand) and also chewing pan-masala at the same time !!!

Next come the 'educated' people in above average cars with high beams, extra lights and cellphones - all 'on' at the same time.

..... I am planning to buy a second hand or a third hand, rusted jeep with metallic bumpers all around and a high seat to avoid all the high beams. That should calm down my nerves at least.

A few tips to avoid road rage:

1. Other drivers may be mad, but that doesn't mean you don't have to be one.

2. Avoid eye contact with rash drivers and avoid signaling them or arguing with them.

3. In case of a minor accident, if you are the receipt and can swallow the damage cost, drive off.. No point arguing with losers, especially the bikers who bang your bumper.

4. Dont stop in the middle of the road, stop on the sides if you plan to argue.

5. Avoid getting out of the car if possible. Situation mostly goes out of the hand then.

6. Most importantly, never use your fists or never Carry a weapon in your car. You may think of it as a kind of self defense. But when you have it you will be forced to use it in rage.

I read these and more in some random blog sometime ago... Helped me a lot since then...

Completely and utterly disagree. While I share a lot of the sentiments in this thread, this one I cannot abide. If anything, it should be the other way round. Why? The cabbies, truckers, autowallahs, bus drivers are professional drivers- they earn their living driving. They spend a large fraction of their lives on the road and move innocents in those vehicles. Other words, they are professionals. I would think as professionals, they have the responsibility to follow rules as much as, if not more than, people who drive to commute, or for pleasure (such as it is). Aren't commercial license regulations stricter? Educated or not, we all KNOW that we drive on the left, not the right. We know what a red light is. We know why the train crossing barriers come down. We just choose to ignore it as a people. To me, this issue has less to do with literacy than with mindset. It is too easy to gain small perceived advantages by breaking the law, and as a society we are happy to go along with such. Combine that with the extremely poor infrastructure in our cities, and voila, you have kejriwal-esque anarchy. No wonder he likes the road so much:)

We will agree to disagree :)

An educated person should show better level or maturity and road sense than the cabbie. The same person when on an onsite assignment will follow the rules of the land but not here, why? In that context, the techie or the young MBA should be fined double.

Completely and utterly disagree. While I share a lot of the sentiments in this thread, this one I cannot abide. If anything, it should be the other way round. Why? The cabbies, truckers, autowallahs, bus drivers are professional drivers- they earn their living driving. They spend a large fraction of their lives on the road and move innocents in those vehicles. Other words, they are professionals. I would think as professionals, they have the responsibility to follow rules as much as, if not more than, people who drive to commute, or for pleasure (such as it is). Aren't commercial license regulations stricter? Educated or not, we all KNOW that we drive on the left, not the right. We know what a red light is. We know why the train crossing barriers come down. We just choose to ignore it as a people. To me, this issue has less to do with literacy than with mindset. It is too easy to gain small perceived advantages by breaking the law, and as a society we are happy to go along with such. Combine that with the extremely poor infrastructure in our cities, and voila, you have kejriwal-esque anarchy. No wonder he likes the road so much:)

Rules..more rules, more fines, then bypassing them if you have contacts..blah blah blah...more cribbing..blah blah blah.

See the photo in the link, there is a message, it is from a cafe in the USA. Why do you think that person said that and why would a cafe in the USA write it on their front door?

Kyatchi Sushi | Twin Cities Daily Planet

Absolutely correct observations Record Player. I thought such bad sense of traffic was only an NCR phenomena. Now I know other cities aren't doing any better either.

In our society we are told to respect others. I think this forced act of respecting others (and their views even if they sound totally stupid to you) creates an inherent annoyance in our subconscious mind. This annoyance bursts free as soon as we get out the door of our house. How else can we explain this sudden change in the behavior of people the moment they step out of their house? The mind possibly works like this: "Okay, so I am outside now. I don't need to show respect. There is no stake here, no one knows me here. It's fine for me to shout, abuse, stare in the eyes or just be plain rude. They are "others", right? Who cares?"

The basic thing is - the moment we step out, we leave respect we have for others at home. If we consider other people on the road as out kins. Or we just feel that we don't only need to be polite within the confines of our household/family/kins, but also, beyond that it is also our social responsibility to be polite to others.

Once we can understand this - "We also need to be social and polite to others in society" the problems will be reduced hugely if not eliminated completely.

PS: Anyone noticed that while checking out at the supermarket, if we talk courteously with the cashier and show respect to him (rather than giving him the look "you low-class cashier") he/she remembers us and does what he/she can do best to make our experience better?

My pet peeve in Hyderabad - the slowest vehicle on the road is always in the right most lane, loaded delivery vehicles, autos, trucks, buses etc., and even worse ladies on scootys. In fact all 2 wheelers are always all-over, most preferring the right lane. And traffic cops are a joke, I wonder even if they know or understand what the white lines on the road mean or they are just some decoration, and my final and most severe rant is towards those indica/sumo etc. based cabbies. They are the most rash drivers in Hyderabad, going left, right, wrong side on one-ways wherever there is an inch of space. I have yet to see one stopped by a cop - I guess they grease them well.
No wonder traffic accidents are the highest cause of death in India - well on the bright side - one method of population control.:sad:
Cheers,
Sid

India is one country where those who fear going above 40km/h in their small cars and those who can't resist going above 120kmph on their luxury sedans share the same lane.

In this part of the country, the situation does not seem to as worse as reported in many other metro cities.

Motorists seem to fairly respect all signals except those pointless ones. However, like humoured in a post, amber light means 'zip through as fast as you can' for many of them.

Lane discipline is followed by most. Cars do not suddenly cut the lanes that shocks the motorists behind. And they do use indicators while cutting lanes. But during slow traffic, they keep jumping lanes to surge ahead as if they are going to save lot of time. My biggest frustration is that often 2-3 brainless trucks occupy one lane each and cruise parallely, completely blocking the movement of traffic behind.

Here, 95% of the drivers use indicators while turning. That's a good 'sign'. By and large 2/3 wheelers do not drive on the fast track which is a big relief for cars. Honking... appears to be limited to some 2 wheelers. Some keep honking madly all the time. No entries are respected by most barring a few two wheelers.

High beam is a menace though. I cannot believe how people can lack basic sense that on small roads it will blind the oncoming motorists. They must have experienced the same but still it doesn't get into their brains. Even if I signal them by flashing, they hardly seem to care.

The NMMT/ BEST buses are thoroughly rash. They give a damn to any other vehicles on the road. There is no pollution check on such buses/ trucks. Cops ask for PUC from Euro IV cars but they comfortably ignore the thick black fumes from old trucks and government buses.

Road rash though not bitter as other cities, is not uncommon here; sometimes it gets so furious that people get stabbed/ shot dead. Absolute madness.

I think if things have to change, we have to inculcate road sense in our children. It might take decades but it will have an effect.

The people boarding the planes are mostly educated folks with enough comforts in life. Are you losing anything by being the last one to board the plane? I have often pondered on this - and my feeling is that we have been conditioned over years to fight for everything in life - nothing in our country happens unless you raise your voice and ask for it. We are people conditioned to fight for every basic necessity in life. And that is why, we are sub-consciously programmed (to borrow a term from the IT world) to behave in this manner.

This point that you make of having to fight for even the most basic of amenities in life probably explains best why we are the way we are. Being in a hurry to board the plane is one thing, but I find it funnier that people are also in a hurry to get off the plane. The plane hasn't fully stopped and people are already switching on the cell phones, getting their baggage, etc. Insanely impatient we are and this reflects in our driving manners. You'll probably gain about a few seconds at every traffic signal when driving insanely. But in gaining those few seconds and cheap thrills of overtaking, you end up putting yours and the life's of others at risk. Is all that risk really worth it?

All along the ring roads in Bangalore, there is some construction or the other. The rules change every day with one diversion or the other. The left most lane always has some random car parked as though its a parking lane, making that lane useless. If there are no such distractions, then you can be sure the road itself is bad.

Not quite sure about our traffic cops. I think their drunken driving spot checks and other fines are squarely aimed at generating revenue. They don't seem to care

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back