OUT BOARD TONEARM FOR JAPANESE TTs ?

sunder

Hello phono experts, Is it possible to add external tonearm like SME to the Japanese Automatic or Semi Automatic Turntables like Technics, Pioneer? If so, what are the internal and external modifications that will be needed? Any one tried? Please share your ideas and experiences. Thank you.
Regards,
-sunder.

If you're looking to mount the arm on an outboard tonearm board/mount, it should be possible as long as:

1) you figure out a way to have correct pivot to spindle distance.

2) your equipment support/rack has enough space to mount the arm board.

Just make sure that the cartridge travel doesn't take it close to the motor.

Most 70s and 80s Japanese TTs had a molded aluminium plinth surface which included cut-outs for their dedicated tone arms. It would be very difficult to retrofit any other arm, tho' not impossible. There are instances of SL 1200s having been cut open to remove the stock arm, and replace it with an SME or Rega. This sort of stuff is not for the faint hearted, and should be left to professionals.

There were, however, some Technics models- like the SL 150 - which came with a dedicated SME mounting plate, for the buyer to decide which arm to install, typically the 3009 or the SME III. These configurations still come up from time to time in the used market.

It is possible to use a external tonearm pod and use a second arm. It can pose several practical problems. Most of these Japanese TTs have dust cover with hinges and these may need to be removed if external arm is considered . If you are considering replacing the arm, I do not think it's easy task. Should consider only if the stock is that bad or damaged beyond repair.

It is always a good idea not to make any changes to OEM stuff which you get on these Japanese mass market turntables as when you attempt to put it all back again, you are likely to face a few challenges. If you are so keen to add an additional tonearm, just get yourself a tonearm pod made (there are so many designs available on the internet) and learn how to position your tonearm from the centre spindle. That's all you would need.

Take a look at this URL where one of our FMs has introduced us to his magnificent Garrard 301 rig. He is using the tonearm-pod philosophy which you can adapt. Here goes: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/27073-labor-luv-301-a.html#post380119

Dear friends, thank you for your inputs which are valuable points. Still I am seeking some ideas about: How to alter or eliminate the automatic tonearm operated ON-OFF switching when a out board tonearm installed? When the in- built arm is not in use, It will be needed a separate switch to 'ON' the platter for out board tonearm. What are the possibilities? Thank you.
Regards,
Sunder.

Dear friends, thank you for your inputs which are valuable points. Still I am seeking some ideas about: How to alter or eliminate the automatic tonearm operated ON-OFF switching when a out board tonearm installed? When the in- built arm is not in use, It will be needed a separate switch to 'ON' the platter for out board tonearm. What are the possibilities? Thank you.
Regards,
Sunder.

It depends on the on/off switching operation of your TT. If it is a manual TT, You should not have any problem. If it switches on only if the tonearm is in the play position, then you still can operate by keeping the tonearm in the lift position. You cannot think of a separate on/off for your second tonearm. That may not be possible.

for semi auto TT's, there is usually a leaf switch that turns on the platter inside - you can hook it up to a manual switch

For fully auto tt's which have multiple sensors (disc size, etc) - might be tougher.

what TT do you have in mind ?

I would recommend that you sell/swap your current TT instead of modifying it. Fully functioning full auto TT's are incredibly hard to find & convenient to use, while there are plenty of manual/semi auto TT's available in the market.

It is always a good idea not to make any changes to OEM stuff which you get on these Japanese mass market turntables as when you attempt to put it all back again, you are likely to face a few challenges. If you are so keen to add an additional tonearm, just get yourself a tonearm pod made (there are so many designs available on the internet) and learn how to position your tonearm from the centre spindle. That's all you would need.

Take a look at this URL where one of our FMs has introduced us to his magnificent Garrard 301 rig. He is using the tonearm-pod philosophy which you can adapt. Here goes: http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/27073-labor-luv-301-a.html#post380119

reubensm, thank you for the suggestions and the link. The pictures are very beautiful.
Regards,
sunder.

reubensm, thank you for the suggestions and the link. The pictures and the set-ups are very classic!
Regards,
sunder.

I love separate arm pods. They make any decent player sound better. Sunder, if you are planning an arm pod with a 9 inch arm, you need to be very careful where you are going to place the arm pod. I have learnt it the very hard way. Alignment can be tricky.

I love separate arm pods. They make any decent player sound better. Sunder, if you are planning an arm pod with a 9 inch arm, you need to be very careful where you are going to place the arm pod. I have learnt it the very hard way. Alignment can be tricky.

Dear Sir, since I do have phono experts and nice friends like you on our forum, why should I afraid of the 'tricky' technical things? I will ask you for all my needs. Thank you. Best Regards.
-sunder.

The trick with Pods with 9inch tonearms is to have it located on the side of the turntable where the platter is closest to the edge of the plinth :)

Dear Sir, since I do have phono experts and nice friends like you on our forum, why should I afraid of the 'tricky' technical things? I will ask you for all my needs. Thank you. Best Regards.
-sunder.

By all means Sir. you know I am always there to help you. When you make a tonearm pod, always try with 12" tonearm if you can get one. But the TT should be good enough to go with a 12" tonearm IMO.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back