Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Even with TataSky, the signal may be detected as DD/DD+ or whatever. But is the sound really true surround? Frankly, it sounds too simulated for me. It is only because I don't care, that I don't complain.

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Did you have any experience with videocon HD? its PQ ?. Some people say that videocon HD is better. I am yet to decide whether to upgrade my airtel SD to HD or go for videocon HD.

I am using Airtel HD.

The HD channel is crisp clear.. I have never faced problem even in heavy rainfall. Upgrade your Airtel SD.

Even with TataSky, the signal may be detected as DD/DD+ or whatever. But is the sound really true surround? Frankly, it sounds too simulated for me. It is only because I don't care, that I don't complain.

off course the channels like sony hd and zee tv hd are simulated surround..just imagine saas bahu serials are being recorded in surround:lol:
but kix in star movies hd I felt real surround for maximum of the movies..whats ur thinking?

off course the channels like sony hd and zee tv hd are simulated surround..just imagine saas bahu serials are being recorded in surround:lol:
but kix in star movies hd I felt real surround for maximum of the movies..whats ur thinking?
Did not feel like proper surround. Will test again and report.

My 43E490 delivered today and waiting for installation. For the time being I plan to use it on its stand / pedestal and wall mounting will be considered only after placement of the TV is finalised after evaluating reflections and best seating positions.
What are the options for wall mounting? Is it a free service? If I opt for a delayed wall mounting, Do I need to pay extra?

My 43E490 delivered today and waiting for installation. For the time being I plan to use it on its stand / pedestal and wall mounting will be considered only after placement of the TV is finalised after evaluating reflections and best seating positions.
What are the options for wall mounting? Is it a free service? If I opt for a delayed wall mounting, Do I need to pay extra?

Post your review, pics and experience.

Wall mounting is free with some condition. Talk to Samsung Service guy for detail. I kept my TV on stand because greater amount of heat circulation is required since this TV is Plasma.
I finished almost 130 hrs of usage now I am ready for second review. I am also waiting for my 3D BDP.

Wall mounting is free with some condition. Talk to Samsung Service guy for detail. I kept my TV on stand because greater amount of heat circulation is required since this TV is Plasma.
I finished almost 130 hrs of usage now I am ready for second review. I am also waiting for my 3D BDP.
In plasma, most of the heat is generated at the front where the plasma resides. The heat generated at the rear is for the regular electronic devices and that is more or less same as those for LCD TVs. So you can safely wall mount the TV without fear or prejudice.

Wall mounting is free with some condition. Talk to Samsung Service guy for detail. .

The service guy says that `I have one months time to decide. After that he have to report to samsung about the status of wall mounting.

In plasma, most of the heat is generated at the front where the plasma resides. The heat generated at the rear is for the regular electronic devices and that is more or less same as those for LCD TVs. So you can safely wall mount the TV without fear or prejudice.

Thanks
I think minimum 10 cm clearance should be essential for mounting.

To my surprise, the TV has 15A plug. According to samsung the typical power consumption is 96W only. The 1000W Iron comes only with a 5A plug. Then why this TV needs the 15A plug ? Anybody knows?

To my surprise, the TV has 15A plug. According to samsung the typical power consumption is 96W only. The 1000W Iron comes only with a 5A plug. Then why this TV needs the 15A plug ? Anybody knows?

I also got surprised. My 2100W Philips Induction Cooker have 15A plug and this TV have maximum power 210 W and using 15A plug. But I felt that this is not a -ve thing. Any thing over design does not seem every time bad.

Beware this TV does not have head phone jack. There is one Audio out and using this, the TV volume does not control by TV remote. I purchased Sony D8 2.1 and No remote has been provided with this. Thank god my Airtel STB remote is controlling the volume level of this 2.1 spk while watching DTH stuff. But when I switch to USB mode I am helpless. So it would be better to buy a SPK system with remote control. I noticed it after buying this SPK. Only one significant demerit I found till date.

Last edited:

Thanks
I think minimum 10 cm clearance should be essential for mounting.
When wall mounted the total distance of the front of the TV to wall is about 10-15 cm (depends upon panel thickness). The actual clearing between back of TV and wall is around 6 cm. TV companies have designed it properly. We do not have to worry too much. What I would not recommend is:
  • leaving all four sides open
  • ensuring proper ventillation
  • not creating a customized recessed space where the TV fits in so as to give a monolythic wall look
  • cleaning dust and cobwebs from behind from time to time
It doesn't require 15A. Just probbably that Samsung wanted to play safe. If you wish, you can replace the plug with a 5A one. But that will mean cutting off the moulded 15A plug.

A friend just bought the e470. He got a 5A plug adapter and connected it to a regular 5A plug point. He is using it without a stabilizer at the moment.

Alternatively a stabilizer would have a 15A socket, so you can plug the TV to that and then connect it.

A friend just bought the e470. He got a 5A plug adapter and connected it to a regular 5A plug point. He is using it without a stabilizer at the moment.

Alternatively a stabilizer would have a 15A socket, so you can plug the TV to that and then connect it.

I also did the same thing. I called my electrician and asked him if an adapter can be used. He checked and said that I can go ahead. till now, I have not encountered any issues.

A 5A socket is sufficient to power up a 1100W appliance without issues.

TV installed yesterday. No wall mounting for the time being. Some first impressions:

Good picture.
Good 3D. No headache even after about 30 minutes viewing. Watched under the sea and hubbles telescope. Good 3D effect.
Checked panel display time - only one hour. TV is a fresh piece.

Horrible sound. Need to buy additional speakers. They could have fit a good quality speakers, for the price charged.
Horrible reflections, much worse than expected. Need to work around.
15A plug. Need to re-wire the room. Or is it safe to use 5A adapter as suggested above ?. Does any one actually tested the starting load himself?
2 HDMI is already insufficient. No headphone socket. 3 HDMI and headphone must.

BDP not delivered. May take a few weeks.

VERDICT AND ADVICE:
ALL FUTURE BUYERS SHALL TEST THE SOUND AND REFLECTIONS BEFORE BUY. For the price paid, it is a VFM TV, if not an amazing one.

A 5A socket is sufficient to power up a 1100W appliance without issues.

No it's not. Tv is not a dc system, it's an ac system. So wattage=volXcurrXp.f
P.F=power factor which is lower than 1 for all ac systems. So if pf is 0.6 then 1100=220XcurrX0.6 -->curr=8.33 A.

So 5A is not enough.

No it's not. Tv is not a dc system, it's an ac system. So wattage=volXcurrXp.f
P.F=power factor which is lower than 1 for all ac systems. So if pf is 0.6 then 1100=220XcurrX0.6 -->curr=8.33 A.

So 5A is not enough.

Where you got Wattage = 1100 ???

I feel the sound of the 43E490 is horrible. My entire family felt so. They say the sound of the 24 year old Onlda CRT is much better. The volume is more than enough, but it lacks clarity. The technician installed it says it is OK and par with other samsungs he installed. Any other owner of this TV feels so ? During the auditions I thought it was better.
What is the work around other than buying speakers? I hate more wires / cables / electric connections messing around. Already a lot of them are around for the TV. STB, and the Media player creating a lot of headaches for my family.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back