Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

TV installed yesterday. No wall mounting for the time being. Some first impressions:

Good picture.
Good 3D. No headache even after about 30 minutes viewing. Watched under the sea and hubbles telescope. Good 3D effect.
Checked panel display time - only one hour. TV is a fresh piece.

Horrible sound. Need to buy additional speakers. They could have fit a good quality speakers, for the price charged.
Horrible reflections, much worse than expected. Need to work around.
15A plug. Need to re-wire the room. Or is it safe to use 5A adapter as suggested above ?. Does any one actually tested the starting load himself?
2 HDMI is already insufficient. No headphone socket. 3 HDMI and headphone must.

BDP not delivered. May take a few weeks.

VERDICT AND ADVICE:
ALL FUTURE BUYERS SHALL TEST THE SOUND AND REFLECTIONS BEFORE BUY. For the price paid, it is a VFM TV, if not an amazing one.

I wrote already in my review that don't expect sound from these type of TV. Yes reflection is a problem and cant eliminate (expect in dark room) you have to minimize. Dim the light and be sure none of light source is on the front of panel. Apart from this I am suggesting you that watch video content on your screen not reflection.

One thing remember that all Plasma tvs are for low light not for bright light.

This TV doesn't have a head phone jack but you can connect your ext spk system in audio out but spk sound level does not synchronize with TV remote. Get a spk with remote control.

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

No it's not. Tv is not a dc system, it's an ac system. So wattage=volXcurrXp.f
P.F=power factor which is lower than 1 for all ac systems. So if pf is 0.6 then 1100=220XcurrX0.6 -->curr=8.33 A.

So 5A is not enough.

Friend, the TV does not use 1100 W. What you said is correct. But 1100W what is the technical value = 220V x5A.
But this TV is rated average power consumption is 96W as per samsung. It can go up to 200-250W based on the settings and usage. Even then a 5A plug would be more than enough even at the 0.6 power factor you quoted. Then why samsung fitted 15A plug on this TV?. Only reason may be it draws an unusually high level of current at the start up, even if it is for a fraction of a second. To confirm this somebody has to check it with proper instruments. Visually I could not detect any dimming of lights etc confirming this.

I never own a plasma so I can't tell why it's fitted with 15A plug...might be to be in safe side...

With the formula provided for AC devices, any device drawing up to around ~650W should be fine on a 5A plug, if my calculations are correct.

I wrote already in my review that don't expect sound from these type of TV. Yes reflection is a problem and cant eliminate .............

This TV doesn't have a head phone jack but you can connect your ext spk system in audio out but spk sound level does not synchronize with TV remote. Get a spk with remote control.

i agree and bought the TV aware of all these. But I expected reasonable quality sound out of it.
Regarding reflection I can completely control it. But it is much worser than what I expected during the previews and reading the forum. So more work here.
Normal watching will be contents from STB or a media player. direct usb usage is not much expected. I already noted that some filed did not support out of the USB, but played out of the mediaplayer. So volume of external speakers can be controlled to some extent using their remotes.

Even the 3L+ models cannot comepete the CRT on sound. If you need better sound, add a 5.1 system or even a 2.1.

p/s. There are few FM's who purchased Panasonic plasmas. They had a free HT offer. Some may be willing to sell the systems at a bargain.

Even the 3L+ models cannot compete the CRT on sound. If you need better sound, add a 5.1 system or even a 2.1.

p/s. There are few FM's who purchased Panasonic plasmas. They had a free HT offer. Some may be willing to sell the systems at a bargain.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the present arrangements of the drawing room, where the TV is placed it is impossible to set up a 5.1 system. So I need to buy a 2.1 system. The real headache is that there will be one more electric connection, three more audio cables and three more speaker boxes to manage.

You can invest in a soundbar also. These should give you better sound than a 2.1 , but will also be costlier.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the present arrangements of the drawing room, where the TV is placed it is impossible to set up a 5.1 system. So I need to buy a 2.1 system. The real headache is that there will be one more electric connection, three more audio cables and three more speaker boxes to manage.

The picture quality of this TV is amongst the best that I have ever on any TV of any size(plasma,LED or LCD) but the sound is amongst the worst. May I suggest that you go in for a 5.1 Htib. That ways not only would you get a far better sound experience but would also be 'future proof'. This TV has just two HDMI in and if you would need to connect additional sources like Play station/PC/BR player etc then it would involve permutations and combinations. With a HT setup all you would have to do is a lick on the remote- classy and easy !

A TV this big deserves to be experienced with a proper Home Theater setup. Ever since I completed my setup my friends have started invading my home and overpriced multiplexes are now a story from the past. I use my TV only to watch movies- dont even have a cable connection or a set top box. Watching 3D BR movies on this TV is an unforgettable experience and somedays we end up watching upto 3 movies in a row ;)

Here is a thorough review from a blog that I liked and would want to share:
BigFatUniverse: PS43E490 - Brand name 3D TV a budget price?

Cheers !

Last edited:

I wrote already in my review that don't expect sound from these type of TV. Yes reflection is a problem and cant eliminate (expect in dark room) you have to minimize. Dim the light and be sure none of light source is on the front of panel. Apart from this I am suggesting you that watch video content on your screen not reflection.

What about the Digital Audio out (optical) - is that something which a budget HT system (less than 10 K) will have ?

Samsung's non-3D model 43E470 model doesn't have an audio out and a head phone jack. It only has digital audio out. So am just wondering how we can connect 43E470 to external speakers?

What about the Digital Audio out (optical) - is that something which a budget HT system (less than 10 K) will have ?

Samsung's non-3D model 43E470 model doesn't have an audio out and a head phone jack. It only has digital audio out. So am just wondering how we can connect 43E470 to external speakers?
If you are thinking of an external HT, ensure the following:

• check the STB and other sources that you are going to use
  • check what kind of outputs they have such as HDMI, optical digital out, coaxial digital out, composite audio out
  • now before buying the HT, check what external inputs are supported such as HDMI-in, Optical-In, Coaxial-in, Composite AV In, etc.
  • Buy the HT that has matching in-outs with the STB/source player.

Once done, you can connect as follows:

• With TS STB, you can connect STB HDMI-Out ==> HT HDMI In ==> HT HDMI Out ==> TV HDMI In
  • With all other STBS (including TS STB), you can connect STB HDMI-Out ==> TV HDMI In, and STB Optical/Coaxial Out ==> HT Optical/Coaxial In
  • Same can be extended with a DVD or BD Player

If you have a universal programmable remote such as those from Logitech, you can program the activity in such a way that volume button will work on HT and not TV (or vice versa). HTH.

You can invest in a soundbar also. These should give you better sound than a 2.1 , but will also be costlier.

Could you suggest some economic models? I am not an audiophile, so a reasonable system will suffice.

Breakin period calibration

Friends, what are the setting you used during the breakin period?. My current settings are:
celllight: 10
Brightness :45
Contrast : 45
Sharpness; 50
color :45

The display now looks some what artificial.
I have read in some us/uk forums that cell brightness can be increased to15-18 without any problem. What is your experience?

Also anybody is using the TV without a stabilizer?. I was told by a reliable technician that stabilizer is useless and what we need is protection from sudden spikes, which a stabilizer cannot provide. His opinion is that an online ups is the best.

Since this is a 720P TV, is it better to set the output mode of the video sources like STB to 720P /. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in setting it to 1080P ?

Since this is a 720P TV, is it better to set the output mode of the video sources like STB to 720P /. Is there any advantage or disadvantage in setting it to 1080P ?
STB output can be set max to 1080i. DTH does not transmit in 1080p.

You can check both settings, viz., 720p and 1080i. Choose what looks best to you. I could be wrong, but 1080i should look better because TV will be required to compress the picture which may end up looking better (as opposed to blowing it up). Besides if you set the pic to 720p, the STB will "reformat" the pic and STB may not have the best electronics to do that.

STB output can be set max to 1080i. DTH does not transmit in 1080p.

You can check both settings, viz., 720p and 1080i. Choose what looks best to you. I could be wrong, but 1080i should look better because TV will be required to compress the picture which may end up looking better (as opposed to blowing it up). Besides if you set the pic to 720p, the STB will "reformat" the pic and STB may not have the best electronics to do that.

besides, the TV have vertical resolution of 768 lines, not 720. so why set the source at lower resolution than TV. setting STB and BDP etc. at their highest resolution looks more logical.

Could you suggest some economic models? I am not an audiophile, so a reasonable system will suffice.

I am using Sony D8 2.1 of Rs 4K. I have attached my audio cable to my Airtel STB.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back