Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discussions

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Congrats Almondnine on your new purchase.

When I was looking to buy a TV, I have narrowed down my choice to PA4520, as this was a budget 42" model and the entry level Samsung(e470)/Pana(x50) models were virtually non-existent in Bangalore. I changed my decision at the last minute as I got an offer for LK450 LCD model at the same price range.

But while I searched within the forum, I noticed that there are no single owner reviews for the LG 42PA4520 model; it's so much tilted towards samsung/pana plasmas (quite understandable). So it would be really good if you can post your feedback after you spent quality time with the set- that should help new buyers to consider this model as an option, rather than limiting to either samsung or pana plasmas.

Re: Owners Thread of Samsung Plasma 43E490/470 - Reviews, Settings & Features Discuss

Well every TV has a niche, if you want to watch decent SD on a large screen, LG should be your natural choice. For a purely HD viewing experience, I am sure there are Panny's and Kuro's that could do a better job. My daily viewership consists of a heavy dosage of regional channels which are mainly SD, so I knew my priorities were not in superlative performance of HD. Let's see how it goes. Will keep folks posted.

One positive that the LG has in comparison to the E470/490 is that the sound is not tinny, as was observed by many E470 owners .. the tinny sound. The PA4520 definitely does not disappoint in terms of sound. I can hear it all over my house. Tested the USB with a portable drive and a pen drive, no issues there as well. Another unforeseen *positive* that I find with a plasma is that it is very relaxing, it really calms & soothes the nerves, it seems that it is an unintended advantage of a large screen. Maybe it is the same with any generic large screen, but SD channels being more watchable also contributes to me having a more relaxed viewership experience. Earlier I had a 14 incher and I was squinting my eyes all over the place to watch it and was majorly irritated after watching TV for half-an-hour at a stretch. Why 14 inches for so long .. just for the sake of convenience and habit of something with a small footprint

Last edited:

Now Samsung 43E490B3R available in Reliance digital for 42K and they have removed the 3D Glasses free from the package. Even in samsung website they have removed the Free glasses from the listing. So where to buy the glasses if required and what will be the price

Hi guys ,I want to connect speakers to Samsung 43e470 as sound is not unto mark as i read in different threads.
Is this correct?
If yes,How to connect speakers while watching movie from usb as i has only digital audio output??
I have computer speakers which has only headphone jack.Its model is creative 2.1 sbs 370. Is there a way for speakers to give digital audio output instead of 3.5mm jack????
Also i planned to connect these speakers to hd stb as it has headphone jack.

But problem starts when watching brrips using usb as i don't have any bd player.
Also i looked for ht with digital audio output but they are very costly..

Also Is this TV good for gaming. I rarely play games on Wii that is only 5-6 hrs per week.So Is this suitable for me or have to shift to LCD/Led models. I am asking because in many threads i saw users mentioning IR and burn-in problems and not to go for plasma for gaming. But other users said that even display piece of different showrooms didnt have IR problems although they keep maximum setting and don't take care of burn-in period.

Yesterday, got my Sammy 43E490 at 42k with two 3d glasses..picture quality is astonishing just as other sammy LEDs.
sound quality not at par.
any ideas how to connect my 43E490 with my 5.1 analogue F&D speaker (with remote).. for the present my STB is connected with Aux slot in the said speaker system...but I want to connect my F&D with 43E490..

Yesterday, got my Sammy 43E490 at 42k with two 3d glasses..picture quality is astonishing just as other sammy LEDs.
any ideas how to connect my 43E490 with my 5.1 analogue F&D speaker (with remote).. for the present my STB is connected with Aux slot in the said speaker system...but I want to connect my F&D with 43E490..

You need to have a Digital Audio to analogue converter to do so ..

I joined 43E490 Club ... Yes , Booked it today in Reliance Digital for 42K. Will post my reviews later

There is an audio out in the TV.Check whether it gives 5.1 . I connected a 2.1 to it. Hence unable to comment.

Hi friends, what are the normal pic setting that you are using now?

cell light =
Brightness=
Contrast=

I found that in movie mode they are 20, 95,20. The first too are on the maximum. Why the default is set at maximum by samsung ?. I have seen many advice to keep the vaules at 50% of the maximum. (That is 10,50,50). Then the picture is too dull. I found 15,60,40 is watchable. Any opinions?

Heartiest congratulations.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I lost the track of thread where I had asked this question but when watching 16:9 content on this TV, where we get horizontal black bars, is there a way to zoom it out so that content occupies most of the screen space ? also for 4:3 pictures I get white vertical bars (though i do not watch in such setting), how to make it similar for vertical bars ? But would prefer zooming out if its available on this TV.

Please reply.

Sanket.

Last edited:

Every 16:9 tv almost invariably has multiple zoom modes that will zoom the picture, crop it and show it on the screen.

The type of setting that creates white bars instead of black for pillarbox mode is not available for letter box mode.

Does this TV comes with a wall mount kit. If so what type is coming along with the set

hi all:

can some please help me on how to select a track when playing multi-track videos ? Currently the default one is played but I want to change the track to some different language then how does one do it ?

What settings you guys are following in 43E490 ?
I am using 11/45/40 , But image is not that bright in the day time. How much max I can keep till burn-in period ?
And can you please let me know how to find total hours usage ?

Reducing contrast to 35% or less, turning on pixel orbiter or the equivalent function, and avoiding static displays for long should solve the way.

TV's two settings are not often understood correctly:

Brightness: Brightness actual controls the black levels.
Contrast: Contrast controls the white level.

Reducing contrast to 35% or less, turning on pixel orbiter or the equivalent function, and avoiding static displays for long should solve the way.

TV's two settings are not often understood correctly:

Brightness: Brightness actual controls the black levels.
Contrast: Contrast controls the white level.

It is still more confusing. In practice, if we increase brightness, keeping all others same, the picture become "foggy" after a certain level.
If the contrast is increased, whiter parts become more bright and darker parts more dark.
Where do we place cell light ? Changes in cell light values is more prominent than these two.

So what are the most used values for these settings ?

It is still more confusing. In practice, if we increase brightness, keeping all others same, the picture become "foggy" after a certain level.
If the contrast is increased, whiter parts become more bright and darker parts more dark.
Where do we place cell light ? Changes in cell light values is more prominent than these two.

So what are the most used values for these settings ?

The best way is to do a factory reset for the picture mode and then use the incremental settings for each to get the picture right. Using a calibration disc is a good option. Refer to my ST50 thread, post 409 or somewhere there.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back