P50VT20D vs. P50ST30D - 12 Hour InfoBank - All opinions invited!

At equal price range, ST30 will be better as it is current year model. If you have seen both TVs in action, go by what your eyes tell. If in case of doubt take some family member ( who are going to watch it along with you) In the end, it is you who is going to spend your time in front of the TV.

Please check whether the 50VT20 do 2D to 3D conversion. I readsomewhere that it did not convert 2d o 3D. This is particularly important, as you are impressed with 2D-3D conversion of ST30.

The problem with making a decision comes when there are multiple options to choose from - that's exactly the case with these 2 great plasmas. Just imagine the situation if there were to be a GT20/30 in the 50" bracket!
Of course, unlike in the west, we in India cannot return/exchange a set under normal circumstances, and hence a decision made is made for good, unless you are ready to take a substantial loss on resale.
Between the 2 sets, I get a feeling you'll be happy eitherways. My choice, however, would be the ST30 for just the sheer advantage with 2D-3D. Good luck and keep us posted.

@Unrealistic ,

since you are more concerned with 3D , i prev suggested you ST30 , it is really good at 3D . But at the same time , i wouldnt bank much of my decision on 2D>3D conversion. Its almost a month now i got my ST30 . The craze to watch 3D has already faded . Its not that its not great and all , its simply too limited in content. I am planning to buy Avatar 3D and TRON 3D. Also Active shutter is not well known for long period use.

anyway After buying your ST30 , do visit Pannasonic 50ST30 Owners Thread :D

The problem with making a decision comes when there are multiple options to choose from - that's exactly the case with these 2 great plasmas. Just imagine the situation if there were to be a GT20/30 in the 50" bracket!
Of course, unlike in the west, we in India cannot return/exchange a set under normal circumstances, and hence a decision made is made for good, unless you are ready to take a substantial loss on resale.
Between the 2 sets, I get a feeling you'll be happy eitherways. My choice, however, would be the ST30 for just the sheer advantage with 2D-3D. Good luck and keep us posted.

Aye, the advantages the people of the west have is not to be taken for granted. I'd love the opportunity to try out all the sets over a period of a month and then pick the one I like best. Not to mention, price guarantee is always welcome!

Anywho, I think you hit the nail on the head. Doesn't matter which I pick, I'll be happy either way. At this point it's just about personal preference.

@Unrealistic ,

since you are more concerned with 3D , i prev suggested you ST30 , it is really good at 3D . But at the same time , i wouldnt bank much of my decision on 2D>3D conversion. Its almost a month now i got my ST30 . The craze to watch 3D has already faded . Its not that its not great and all , its simply too limited in content. I am planning to buy Avatar 3D and TRON 3D. Also Active shutter is not well known for long period use.

anyway After buying your ST30 , do visit Pannasonic 50ST30 Owners Thread :D

You're right, it's just a craze. But I'd love to see what my PS3 games look like using the 2D->3D conversion. Not to mention, it's always nice to have the feature. Considering the PQ is almost identical, atleast for a non-videophile, it just makes sense for me to go for something that has a feature that grabs my fancy.

At equal price range, ST30 will be better as it is current year model. If you have seen both TVs in action, go by what your eyes tell. If in case of doubt take some family member ( who are going to watch it along with you) In the end, it is you who is going to spend your time in front of the TV.

Please check whether the 50VT20 do 2D to 3D conversion. I readsomewhere that it did not convert 2d o 3D. This is particularly important, as you are impressed with 2D-3D conversion of ST30.

Actually, I'm the only one who'll be using the tele. Got another TV installed for my family. Anyway, performance wise I was a little more impressed with the ST's 3D. The glare, even with the showroom lights on, didn't affect me in the least.

3D is over rated... in less than a month, you'll be done with it. Don't base your purchase purely from a 3D standpoint only.

Sent from my HTC HD2

3D is not overrated, i have more than 150 GB of 3D content and 3D takes immersive viewing to a whole new level, a well produced 3d movie can be amazing on tv. Also 3D gaming with a gr8 graphics card on pc is the most engrossing gaming experience one can ever have. Trust me.

It is expensive and needs lot of hardware, software and setup but once everything is in place 3D can take home theatre experience to a a whole new level. A BIG screen( min 50 inch recommended for 3D), a good HTPC with a powerful graphics card or PS3, a 3D bluray player/ a fast unlimited internet to download 3d bluray rips :) . And last but not the least placing the TV in a place where there are no distractions, reflections and sound is properly calibrated.

When all these and several other factors work fine 3D is very very enjoyable !!!

3D is not overrated, i have more than 150 GB of 3D content and 3D takes immersive viewing to a whole new level, a well produced 3d movie can be amazing on tv. Also 3D gaming with a gr8 graphics card on pc is the most engrossing gaming experience one can ever have. Trust me.

It is expensive and needs lot of hardware, software and setup but once everything is in place 3D can take home theatre experience to a a whole new level. A BIG screen( min 50 inch recommended for 3D), a good HTPC with a powerful graphics card or PS3, a 3D bluray player/ a fast unlimited internet to download 3d bluray rips :) . And last but not the least placing the TV in a place where there are no distractions, reflections and sound is properly calibrated.

When all these and several other factors work fine 3D is very very enjoyable !!!

Was on the move earlier. Let me clarify.

3D is over rated as far as a feature goes. Sure it's nice to have but in my opinion at least, shouldn't be the primary deciding factor when buying a TV. I have all the above that you've mentioned minus the BD player. Sure it's a good experience when you watch it for the first few times, but over time it is not something most people would bother with especially the Active Shutter variety given that you can rarely watch a full feature of over 1 hour without it bothering you.

Most 3D content available today is just 2D converted to 3D in post processing with the exception of maybe a few titles like Avatar. A large number of the IMAX documentaries are also carefully converted from 2D to 3D. As far as gaming goes, there are just a few titles available that do 3D but I honestly haven't been able to enjoy playing for more than a few minutes (30 mins tops) and that's with games like UC3 and KZ3. Like I said, it's fun for a while but once the 3D smoke has cleared ;), you'll be looking for the best 2D performer and that should be the deciding factor when getting a new TV.

samsung 3D glasses with D550 have never given me any eye strain or headache. I have watched a lot of full length movies and never has it bothered me.

As far as games is concerned, using nvidia 3d vision software all games can be played in 3d as it natively renders all games in 3d using its firmware. More than 400 games released over the last 4-5 years are playable in 3D with nvidia profiles. It is not like 2D-3D conversion because the graphics card natively renders the game in 3D using the depth information and the 3d models.

Mate, dont know if you guys have a IMAX Dome in bangalore......but once you see a movie there you will never be able to enjoy the same experience at home...besides the immersive experience of 3D is better on the big screen IMHO.......anyways beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder hence wont say more....

honestly, i would have bought st30 if it was available at same price band. a 2011 model is bound to have all the learnings from the 2010 lineup.

there is limit to which you can enjoy a deeper black. your everyday life will be made easier by the additional features a tv has.

Was on the move earlier. Let me clarify.

3D is over rated as far as a feature goes. Sure it's nice to have but in my opinion at least, shouldn't be the primary deciding factor when buying a TV. I have all the above that you've mentioned minus the BD player. Sure it's a good experience when you watch it for the first few times, but over time it is not something most people would bother with especially the Active Shutter variety given that you can rarely watch a full feature of over 1 hour without it bothering you.

Most 3D content available today is just 2D converted to 3D in post processing with the exception of maybe a few titles like Avatar. A large number of the IMAX documentaries are also carefully converted from 2D to 3D. As far as gaming goes, there are just a few titles available that do 3D but I honestly haven't been able to enjoy playing for more than a few minutes (30 mins tops) and that's with games like UC3 and KZ3. Like I said, it's fun for a while but once the 3D smoke has cleared ;), you'll be looking for the best 2D performer and that should be the deciding factor when getting a new TV.
I agree completely..3D fever remains for first few days or say months..
For rest of the life(panel's), you would be craving for 2D..
Even 150 GB collection won't last more than a month..
and you can't watch AVATAR everyday..
Its nice feature to have but not a deciding factor in my opinion..

FYI Most new hollywood movies are already being released in 3D. By the end of this year 80-90% hollywood movies will be in 3D and hence a 3D bluray will become as common as a bluray. :)

FYI Most new hollywood movies are already being released in 3D. By the end of this year 80-90% hollywood movies will be in 3D and hence a 3D bluray will become as common as a bluray. :)

Well, movies at the "theatres" need to have that something extra otherwise ppl will be content with pirated versions.. and most of the movies are just 2D->3D converted I think..

The final HarryPotter movie did not offer good depth at all, except the final scene where Voldemort disintegrates.. and since that's CGI it looks good.. Ditto with 'Three musketeers'.. nothing ground breaking.. I don't like this 3D at all.

For the OP of this thread

Let me put it this way... If I was going to buy a new TV it would have the be one that is replacing the current best or the best model of last year.

The ST30 is not that replacement. VT20 was the best TV of 2010 and the VT30 is a direct replacement to that model. So, if I were you and couldn't get a VT30, I would definitely much rather get the VT20 instead of the ST30. Oh wait a minute, I did just that ;)

Hi unrealistic !

so i see here now the answer to my question (on why you are inclined more towards the ST30) :)

well, people have really populated this thread with some really informative posts. but, if after demoing the two side-by-side, and after analysing your preferences patiently, you feel ST30 would be the one that would satisfy you, i say then nail it ! it shouldn't happen that later you find your mind mired in thoughts like "oh ! could i have been enjoying a bit more had i taken THAT TV instead of this ?!" and yes, not to confuse you, but just a bit of info. please do read on the 48hz motion issue of ST30. i dont know how much prominent is it now-a-days, or would be bothersome in day-to-day usage, but better to have a look.

P.S. - i take back my words on the brightness issue of ST30. when i had demoed it, it was in comparison to an EX720 on its side, not VT20. i now see with my TV that there isnt a significant difference in brightness of the two sets, just that the VT20 lets you play more with its functions. all the best !

i'm planning on buying another TV where can i get 50vt20 for 75k in Kolkata, every store i ask they quote around 100k !!!! :(

@ subhadeep - please contact 'prankey'. he's trying to organise a group buy at quite cheap rates and many have enlisted from various places.

Comparison between VT20 & ST30..

-------------------------VT 20--------------------------------ST30

Price ------------------ 71,000/- --------------------------- 90,000/-

No. 3D Glasses -------------1---------------------------------- 1

Contrast Ratio -----------1714:1------------------------------1956:1

Deepest Black -------------0.009--------------------------------0.02

Peak White ---------------51.42------------------------------ 101.06

3D Quality --------------Good Enough-----------------------One of the Best

Phosphor---------------- Fast ------------------------------Even Faster

Crosstalk(3D)--------------Yes -------------------------------- No

Black Levels* --------------Rises------------------------------ Stable

HD pic. quality----------Best in class-----------------------Almost as good

SD--------------------Above Average-------------------- Better than VT20

2D to 3D---------------Not possible----------------------Conversion Possible

Formats via USB---------Very few-----------------------------Mostly

96 Hz Playback----------Awesome-------------------------Not good at all

RGB Comparison ----------7.70---------------------------------7.87
Color Temperature

Comparison---------------7.81---------------------------------8.01
Motion

* Note :- Even after black level rise in VT20 it is better or equal to ST30.

Apart from these VT20 has lot of options for picture settings and not to forget THX certification :)

Last edited:
Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back