P50VT20D vs. P50ST30D - 12 Hour InfoBank - All opinions invited!

Unrealistic

Hey guys,

I've been asking for opinions in all the different threads created by members who have recently purchased the 50VT/ST; I figured I might aswell start a dedicated thread for queries pertaining to my situation.

Note: This is just a friendly invitation to members to express their thoughts and opinions to help me make a decision. This is not meant to irritate, annoy or insult anyone. Everyone is free to participate and no one is compelled to do so.

With that out of the way, let me get to the point. I started with a budget of 55K, pushed it to 75K to make a one time, 5 year investment on a big tele (I work in Bollywood, love watching movies and especially love console gaming).

After a lot of research and running around, I zeroed in on the following:

1. P50VT20D (w/ 2x 3D Glasses & 1+2 Year Warranty)
2. P50ST30D (w/ 2x 3D Glasses, Keyboard & 1+2 Year Warranty)

As mentioned in another thread, I'm getting both of them in the same price band, which is around 75K roughly.

Now that the monetary and freebie aspect is almost on par, the decision solely has to be based on PQ, Overall performance, features and future-proofing.

I just got back from the Panasonic B2B outlet @ Laxmi Road (Andheri (W)). My observations are as follows:

Analysed performance based on Bolt 2D Blu-Ray, Panasonic Promo 3D Blu-Ray (Cutscenes from Ice Age, Avatar, etc.) and a 720p downloaded .mp4 file of a movie.

1. 2D->3D Conversion works! I watched Bolt 2D on the 50ST30D with 2D->3D and I have to admit, the depth it created was surprising. It definitely wasn't a 100% 3D, but it did manage to create good depth. It felt like it was 60-70% 3D. Images didn't pop out as such, but the depth of the background and curvature of the characters were highly 3 dimensional.

2. I played the demo disk on both the VT and ST models, and I have to admit, even with brighter ambient lighting, the 3D on the ST seemed a lot better.

3. USB playback of the mp4 movie that I took with me was horrendous. Can't really play a 720p video off a USB drive, it plays frame by frame; I guess it depends on the source and the read speeds as well (I used a Corsair GT). Since I have a PS3, I prefer playing my HD media through that.

4. 2D Playback on both seemed equally good. I'm not much of a videophile and thus didn't notice any real difference between the 2 sets. I made sure the Contrast, Brightness, Sharpness and Color options were identical on both sets; albeit the sets were on different floors, the over all performance in 2D seemed quite good to me, on both sets.

5. DVD Playback on both seemed quite average, maybe because they played their Viera Promo (Ranbir Kapoor Video), which was recorded using their Panasonic cameras. A proper DVD may play differently (didn't take one with me :sad:).

To Summarize:

3D Matters to me; 2D->3D upscaling would make videos more interesting for my kid sister for sure. Noticed a slight blur during 3D when there was heavy action, but I guess that is to be expected considering the active glasses.

The difference in form factor isn't a deciding factor nor a deterrent. Ultimately, I personally didn't notice any brightness issues (watched a movie in 2D/3D for almost 20 mins on the ST30).

I guess all I want to know is, from a performance perspective, if I watch movies for an extensive period (let's face it, a 20 minute test per TV isn't long enough to help make a decision), will PQ and performance vary between the 2 sets?

Any additional inputs from current users of either TV would be appreciated.

I want to pool in as much information in this thread as possible so as to help me take a call and purchase my beauty tomorrow!

Thanks again for reading through this and posting/re-posting your opinions!

As i said in PM , 2D > 3D conversion doesnt equate to real 3D and I wouldnt recommend your kids to wear 3D glasses for long time , that too a Active shutter one.

To ans your recent PM , If you are new to Plasma , then i think you should go with VT20 , as it is atleast 20-30K cheaper than ST30 , but dont think since its cheaper , its inferior , infact , in color reproduction , black levels, its far superior than st30.

ST30 does have better brightness , atleast 2 times the VT20 and better handling of 3D content , almost nil Crosstalk.

If you are going to watch 3D contents a lot for your kids , then ST30 is better and glasses also are much better.

HD PQ wise , both are same. and if HD is the one which is going to take most of the time , stick to VT20 and save 20-30K and invest in stabilizer or something.

Last edited:
As i said in PM , 2D > 3D conversion doesnt equate to real 3D and I wouldnt recommend your kids to wear 3D glasses for long time , that too a Active shutter one.

To ans your recent PM , If you are new to Plasma , then i think you should go with VT20 , as it is atleast 20-30K cheaper than ST30 , but dont think since its cheaper , its inferior , infact , in color reproduction , black levels, its far superior than st30.

ST30 does have better brightness , atleast 2 times the VT20 and better handling of 3D content , almost nil Crosstalk.

If you are going to watch 3D contents a lot for your kids , then ST30 is better and glasses also are much better.

HD PQ wise , both are same. and if HD is the one which is going to take most of the time , stick to VT20 and save 20-30K and invest in stabilizer or something.

Superb input, but as I mentioned in my first post, I'm getting BOTH the TV's for the same price, which is roughly around 75K.

Since we've now established that the price band is equal, what would be a better choice?

50ST30 for 75K is impossible.. Coz just 3 weeks before the price was 90K and max it can go is 85K.

Are you sure you are getting ST30 ? Coz when i first asked this model , they said the price for 42" or so . Again i confirmed that its a 50" model.

Also I think , but not sure , you can bargain a little further for VT20

But if you are getting ST30 50" for 75K , get it eyes closed , particularly it shines in 3D content, Brightness and HD PQ almost equal to VT20

Last edited:
I mentioned it to Blasto, and I'm reiterating. I'm getting 50ST30D for 75K! I've even kept an open offer for all Mumbai folks. If you want it, holla at me and I'll make it happen. I'm even grabbing the Diwali offer from these folks :)

I'm getting the VT for 72K with the freebies, but without the keyboard.

So, if price band is constant for both tele's, it ought to be the ST hands down, eh?

well at 75K i would (My personal choice) select ST30 mainly because

1.) No floating blacks
2.) 2x Brighter than VT20
3.) Almost Equal PQ as VT20
4.) NIL cross talk with 3D content

What i would miss though is

1.) Extended color setting
2.) THX color profile
3.) Better Blacks , but if you are new to plasma , it wont make a difference as ST30 itself is producing excellent blacks.
4.) A REFERENCE AWARD winning Plasma

Last edited:
Where are u getting 50st30 for 75k ?

it's through a dealer in Mumbai. Called up a bunch of them and he agreed to give me the 50ST30 at the same price as the 50VT20. Just spoke to him about the finite details earlier this evening, after testing out both the tele's at the Panasonic outlet.

Depending on the outcome of this thread, I may or may not visit his store :)

well at 75K i would (My personal choice) select ST30 mainly because

1.) No floating blacks
2.) 2x Brighter than VT20
3.) Almost Equal PQ as VT20
4.) NIL cross talk with 3D content

What i would miss though is

1.) Extended color setting
2.) THX color profile
3.) Better Blacks , but if you are new to plasma , it wont make a difference as ST30 itself is producing excellent blacks.
4.) A REFERENCE AWARD winning Plasma

I see, I see!

What about console gaming? Have you tried your PS3 on the tele yet?

Mate, I have over 110 BRs and increasing every day......I had bought the VT20 purely for what it does best i.e. 2D 1080p watching and trust me i havent been let down a second as of now....and my animated collection within has just been the cherry on the cake....have completed 160 hours as of now and waiting for 200/250 hours mark to bump up the contrast & other settings.........to my surprise I have around 80 odd SD movies and watched a few to which the set does good justice as well.....

So far i havent found anything to complain of as i am taking all necessary precautions in the initial period....broke in for 100 hours, no letter box or 4:3 viewing, everything in 16:9 (without black bars) or Zoom1 mode .......no channel watch as i still got my old set( Sony 29" CRT) to take care of it .....

I still remember that almost a year back i was almost ready to write a check of 55k for LG 50PK550R but the members posts in the forum held me back and in hindsight it was a very wise decision. I will always remain thankful to all HFV members for both of my decisions....

Life now is just much better........

As far as 3D goes..... I am extremely selective about the 3D movies I want to watch as the only place i prefer to do that is the IMAX DOME in wadala......last few watches have been Avatar Special edition, Pirates 4, etc etc not to mention Tintin on cards as of now, nothing can beat that experience hence best to enjoy there...... IMHO not yet the right time to invest purely for a 3D set .........technology is evolving.......active / passive will need to be settled.......content is scarce......patience is the key as of now.....just wait for a year or two and you wont regret the decision

I am now gearing up to set up my HT....have almost zeroed on my AVR which shall be the Onkyo 809......speakers will decide once the AVR is sorted out....

Rest is all upto you mate as its your moolah........hence think well and deep but not for too long.........need to make that decision.....

75k for st30? get it. the least price i got was 84k after heavy bargaining. but do ensure that it's a fresh piece.

BUT, thinking from a different pov, if you get vt20 today and it goes bad tomm, you will get vt series replacement (that's how it should be) ;)

planning to get 2d>3d for my vt20 using panny 3dbd player.

75k for st30? get it. the least price i got was 84k after heavy bargaining. but do ensure that it's a fresh piece.

BUT, thinking from a different pov, if you get vt20 today and it goes bad tomm, you will get vt series replacement (that's how it should be) ;)

That's the thing though, price shouldn't be the reason why I opt for any one of these Tele's.

The reason I specifically mentioned the price was to even the playing field. My choice has to be based on performance and not price.

Why think of the worst case scenario and assume that it'd have to be replaced in the first place? Plus, the Croma guys informed me about the 2 year extended warranty. It's just free service, we still need to pay for parts according to the sales rep.

Mate, IMO panasonic replaces the set with the existing equivalent model.....hence if the 50VT20 was to go bad today then there isn't a 50VT20 available or 30 launched in India hence the choice that would be made available to the consumer will be to either get a 50ST30 (lower model) or refund.........been discussed on the forum before as well...

Come on guys, help in reaching a conclusion. Don't discuss about price but pq. Also apart from reflections does samsung 51D550 has any other drawback when compared to these two hdtvs ? It seems to better in SD as per Blasto. Is it too bad in HD in comparison ?
It costs around 15k less than VT20.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S using tapatalk

D550 is also a good Plasma. Regarding the SD PQ , I can definetly say that when you use "JUST" aspect ration in ST30 , it expands the SD 4:3 content intelligently so that at side it curves and centre 3/4 portion is made normal , there by you will not see any obvious stretching. I am not sure m whether this feature is now basic on all TV`s , but on my old sammy LCD , it wasnt there. Also SD PQ on ST30 is very good imo.

If you have controlled lighting and no windows or have thick curtains , d550 is also a plasma you can consider.

I p.s didnt want to get a higly reflective panel , as i have a big window on the right side and direct door opposite to the TV.

To simply put :

For price oriented members

D550(65k)=VT20(75K)>ST30 (90K)

For Performance and usability oriented members

VT20>ST30>D550 (my personal preference though)

Just a personal advice , Dont be in a haste to get a TV. Demoing is very crucial. We all have different needs and different environment. What might seem good and excellent for me , might not appear that attractive for you. Analyse and write down all the good TV`s at present , and weed out once which are not worthy of your needs like some people prefer LED , some Plasama , like wise. Have a final list of 3-5 TV`s and DEMO these. Take a 1080P Video on a pendrive , take atleast 4-5 videos and mix them , like take football HD contents , action sequence , trailers , songs etc and also SD 4:3 content (youtube videos) and play them. feel free to fiddle with thesetting and see if you can get maximum result or deisred results from the screen. Then decide... There are some members here who went to get a LED and after demoing Plasma , they shifted thier focus to Plasma.

Dont forget to BARGAIN !!

Last edited:
Hmm! I'm still confused. On one hand I have the latest (2011) model with better 3D, higher brightness and 2D->3D upscaling. On the other I have last years top 3D HDTV.

Quality and performance wise, I didn't notice much difference considering the short span of time I spent out there.

After reading up on all the information I could gather, I honestly think the ST30 makes more sense for someone like me. Has all the features of the VT20 (excluding some advanced controls), but also has newer tech (faster phosphors) which results in better 3D, slimmer design, more supported formats via USB & better brightness.

Ultimately, they both perform almost on par, and to opt for a year old model for "deeper blacks" (which I won't even notice as such considering it's my first plasma) doesn't make sense to me.

In layman terms, it's like going for a 2010 BMW 320d (Highline) or the 2011 BMW320d (Base). Ultimately, I think a newer tech, 2011 model with 3D and supreme 2D works better for me as opposed to a 2010 model with ultimate 2D.

All in all, thanks for all the inputs fellow members, I really appreciate the time and effort ya'll invested in helping me make a decision!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back