Pakistan's Coke Studio

Have been watching Coke Studio since it began 3 years ago, shortly after I was posted in Pakistan as a journalist. All the tracks from three seasons of the show are available for free download at Home - Coke Studio.
In some cases, the videos can be downloaded too. Last I checked, most of the audio downloads are 320 kbps.
And yes, despite several claims by the producers of the shows, none of the seasons have been legitimately released on CD/DVD. Only pirated copies are available at most shops across Pakistan.
PS: met Ali Zafar at a recent dinner at a friend's place and he entertained us with some songs after the dinner. Very down-to-earth guy. At another dinner, there was music by Zeb & Haniya, one of the best bands featured on Coke Studio. Check out their "Bibi Sanam" on Season 3 and "Paimona" on Season 2.

Last edited:
Powerfull lyrics....How true!

--
helium
SB Classic> Beresford DAC 7510 MK4> Lyrita SET 2A3/ Sugden A21a> Highly modded Vintage B&W DM4 => MUSIC

i just cant understand that being 2nd most populated country in the world, India do not have so much talented artists which Pakistan have.. a bit strange.. :rolleyes:

I agree, Pakistani music scene is much better than what we have in India.

Don't mistake me guys, but are you guys sure you seriously believe so?

thanks jitibisht...really enjoyed the music..always had great appreciation for sufi music, so i wonder how this project could have escaped my attention.....
...i am sure such initiatives happen in India too..looking forward for some forum members to provide us some info on them.

p.s. this thread is just about good music. it is just a matter of chance that it happens to be from our neighbours across the border. however geography (with whatever historical and political baggage) will not come in my way of appreciation for good music.

Yes Moktan Sir..music has no borders...you can appreciate Paki or Cheeni or Somali Music...I myself started a thread on Cheeni music....but self loathing is unnecessary....thats beyond making sweeping statements...Rajeshji..dilli folks' self loathing is not new to me..this self loathing has its seeds in JNU and DU...but..this is hifi forum...so it'd be injustice for us HFVians to continue more on this topic...let peepul yenjai paki mujic...

about the initiative, more than Pak my reservations would be for Coke.
but that I guess is something else...

n frankly speakin i just cant understand that being 2nd most populated country in the world, India do not have so much talented artists which Pakistan have.. a bit strange.. :rolleyes:
Probably coz the general trend here is to churn out western type stuff. We cant beat them at their game.
Pakis on other hand are carrying forward their traditional stuff.
The talenteds here just dont cut the ice with top honchos @ music companies to get recorded. Not every artists has moolah to cut album n publicize on their own.
I am sure their are many many kailash khers out there. Marred by a less conducive environment.

exactly my point.

i didnt mean to say pakistan has more talent or india does not. what i referred to as 'scene' is that if you compare the music that is churned out here (again most of the music churned out in India) is more for reasons other than the love of music. until early 2000s, small time bands in India would just do covers, its only in the recent years that I have seen them compose their own songs. i have no doubt that india has more number of talented musicians compared to pakistan. having talent is one thing, but to justify it is another.

i have been following pakistani music for years now, and you get a feeling that all efforts were made to just make music. but thats just how i feel.

and lets take coke studio for example.

what could be the motive behind having 3 seasons so far without even releasing a CD? a CD which is bound to do a good business for whoever releases it, has not been released. Compared to that, companies in India would have had a gala party with cricketers and movies stars to launch the cd.. an sms voting and elimination in coke studio.. a lot more brands on the walls of coke studio itself! thats all i was pointing out to.. the 'scene'. it is sooo money minded here.

Guys, i have been looking for Master saleem's cds or mp3 but couldn't find it anywhere in Delhi, please share if someone have in collection.

Make a request to Music Land. They will order for you and inform you when it is available.

We can't say Pakistani music is better than Indian. I think its the genre which depends. If you like classical music, you will always say Indian music is the best. Pakistan's Sufi music is really good but they too sing Sufi ghazals written by Indian writers. Take Nusrat, he has sung many ghazals of Indian writers. One of them and my fav is Shiv Kumar Batalvi. Pakistan is good in Punjabi Folk and Sufi music. But if you listen to Rock, you will always talk about American and British bands. Blues- African/American.

Its true Pakistan has talent but its sad that Pakistani artists usually become successful when they come to India. ;)

If you guys like Sufi music, must give a try to Satinder Sartaj's "Ibadat" album. Somebody gave me the CD and its really good.

..................snipped.......

Its true Pakistan has talent but its sad that Pakistani artists usually become successful when they come to India. ;)

.................snipped
I see nothing wrong.
India has much bigger commercial market with huge exposure to talent.
Here in India it is that if even a small story is covered in news channel chances are that someone from music industry give such talent a chance.
And we have big heart(hope Afridi agrees to this statement).

Guys, Coke Studio Season 4 is coming. :D And this time the videos will be 720p HD. Atleast the audio will be better than before. Just saw the promo and the music is thrilling. :D

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back